They always have a twinkle in their eye and they're going to do this, they're going to do that. They sold the living hell out of that product. Investors know this about us. We're driving change. I mean, people go from spending $50,000 a year to a million dollars a year in one year and they're like, and the CFOs go, "What the hell is this all about?" By the way, everything he did had to be insanely great because he just couldn't get out of bed if it wasn't insanely great. In May 2019, Frank Slootman, the retired former CEO of ServiceNow, joined Snowflake as its CEO and Michael Scarpelli, the former CFO of ServiceNow joined the company as CFO. I always tell my own people, "Look, I'm a piece on the chessboard, okay? The name was also fitting because a few years later, Snowflake burst onto the tech scene with a one of a time groundbreaking Cloud data warehouse product that revolutionized how companies could manage their data. Don't typecast yourself." Frank Slootman, Chairman and CEO of Snowflake (NYSE: SNOW), presided over the largest software IPO in the NYSE's history, but it wasn't his first rodeo. Snowflake: Not What You May Think It Is - Datanami And for example, when I joined Unysis, I ended up in a corporate planning role. But that is what digital transformation is. So, I just had some peripheral view of the company, as well as its strategic challenges, by the way. I'm a miserable golfer, but somewhere along, the 18 holes, he's like, "I'll do it, but don't leave me again." If you want to know more about this CEO, this might be the book to read. Of these, six were built: the Imperial Hotel and Annex, the Jiyu Gakuen School, the Aisaku Hayashi . So, a book becomes highly scalable way of really creating some well-curated observations around "Look, here's what we believe to be true about the trajectory that we've been on. And it worked like that for about a hundred years. So, we came out there and we said, "Look, no, we're not just going to sell a product here. Frank Slootman - Wikitia And obviously, I got that in spades at UN Royal in Indiana. You're finding the best sailors in the world and all of that. What attracted you to the space? Your mission is you're pursuing an end state or at least the closest thing to what you can envision, to what you want to realize as a couple. I often refer to those people as passengers and then, they're the drivers. Get the world to sort of move onto a different technology platforms, et cetera. I mean, you're not going to get excited, "Well, we want to grow 100% this year." I mean, it was doing well. And then obviously, a business that was at a sense of itself, of its product lifecycle, which has its own unique set of challenges. And it wasn't charged for, so companies just couldn't build software because it was just given away. It was great and it lasted the entire duration. I mean, we were crawling the bottom in the early days, so we had a product that had marginal product market fit. And that's a whole different deal. Frank's new book, Amp It Up: Leading For Hyper Growth By Raising Expectations, Increasing Urgency and Elevating Intensity, still is the leadership principles he's developed over his long career. You want to be that person, okay? And I'm like, "You know what? And I talk about that in the book, because again, there's observations, maybe even lessons that can be extracted from what happens when you're in a crowded field and you're trying to separate yourself from the pack. Nothing to do with financial targets or growth targets or market capitalization. So, I finally caved, okay. Whatever he learned from school is probably what we should all learn. But with three IPOs in your rear view mirror and one attempt at retirement already failing to stick, what do you see as the next chapter in Frank Slootman's journey? Basically, we had to solve our enormous problems that we have while the company was doubling in size, more than doubling its size every year. I mean, it was just trying to stay alive. Did you find it difficult to change Snowflake's established culture? I mean, truly retire. Here's why this makes sense while looking at some options. Over the past 20 years, as CEO of Data Domain and then ServiceNow and now Snowflake, Frank Slootman has generated extraordinary growth and success for each company and established himself as one of the world's top CEOs. Different technologies, different markets, different competitors, different eras, different cultural times that we live in, you need to become, what that situation requires off you. Frank Slootman (born 1958) is a billionaire businessman, and the chairman and CEO at Snowflake Inc., a cloud data-warehousing company. So like, "Look, I'm not going to be doing the same races over and over again." That's when you're at risk. I mean, the only thing that energizes people and teams and organizations and companies as a whole is the mission. You could eject the tape from a tape drive and you could ship it off site. In 2011, you joined ServiceNow, a name that's really quite familiar to our listeners where you were confronted by that old conundrum of the CEO founder that we've discussed on this podcast before. There's new business models. It was an application development and runtime platform to run on both Unix and OSU and Windows all at the same time. Now, what that does the weaponizing, what that does is we block everything else out. So, I got pestered by VCs over the years, like "When are you going to do an update to your book because you now have two more companies to talk about." Welcome, Frank, inside the Ice House. In 2003, he became CEO of storage startup Data Domain, taking it public in 2007 and selling it to EMC in 2009 for $1.8 billion. Frank Slootman is the CEO of Snowflake, a cloud-based database firm he joined in 2019 and took public in September 2020 in a blockbuster IPO. And we publish the data transparently on our site, so anyone can come and see what actually happened in the auction. They just have such a hard time doing it because that's who they are, that's what they live for. You need to sort your issues into, "What am I going to focus on?" Frank Slootman Wiki, Biography, Age, Spouse, Net Worth, Fast Facts Frank Slootman - Topp podcast avsnitt That's actually another important bit of learning with a lot of people take on CEO roles and they keep doing their last job because that's familiar to them and they love it and they keep doing it. But if you're performing at Tom Brady's level, you have no reason to step aside. And the term BI had not even been invented back then. Snowflake moves executive office from California to Bozeman, Montana - CNBC From the library of the New York Stock Exchange, at the corner of Wall and Broad Streets in New York City, you're inside the ICE House, our podcast from Intercontinental Exchange on markets, leadership and vision in global business. It's like, "That's not exciting." And for our audience who may not remember the days of tape backups, can you explain the underlying concept that you grew from two men and a dog into a multibillion dollar business? Buyers and sellers can come together. And Mike was still the CEO at ServiceNow at that time. Look, I'm not a certain type of CEO. He said, "Because you guys are indicting everything I've done." It becomes the beating heart of a modern enterprise. But EMC prevailed. Having run a number of global software companies, I appreciate the scope of resources that Blackstone can bring to high-growth . It's up to 79% of the volume has gone cleared. Everybody has ideas. Who can solve what set of issues, right? CEO Outlook | Frank Slootman - KPMG Global And I was like completely taken aback because there not a single thread thinking about that, considering that, considering any role of any sorts. Now, as the story goes, England followed the Netherlands in control of Manhattan. We just never backed off of it. I only think about now and what I'm doing today. But 233 years later, American, Dutch and British interests are inexorably intertwined. You guys are a data company, you know as well, right? Frank has been involved in the business programming market for over 25 years as a business visionary and chief. When some of these firms moved out to Canary Wharf, they decided that actually, it was too much to be sending people to the room, so they moved it to a phone call to buy and sell and establishing a price. Helping women become better in negotiation is an urgent and essential task for organizations and individuals. And in other words, I was already negotiating Mike's package before I had joined ServiceNow. Not exactly like a year and a half, he'd been there for seven years. Windows 3.1 didn't even exist. All these things eventually came together. And people are, are mesmerized by Snowflake results because they don't quite understand, where is this coming from? Frank Slootman currently serves as Chairman and CEO at Snowflake. And I say, "Stop putting labels on yourself. You speak the language, like we do, but there is something different about you." And he always talked about Snowflake because it was a very exciting company to him and I didn't know that much about it, but enough to have a conversation. Yeah, yeah. We're two sides of a coin, which is a reason why we've shown up in so many companies together. It takes a ton of work to maintain intense focus on the mission, so that's the weaponizing. I mean, you can take somebody out of their country, but you can't take the country out of the person, as the old saying goes. Frank Slootman has written another book about how to run a business based on his time at Data Domain, ServiceNow, and Snowflake. So, we came up with this war cry that said, "Tape sucks, move on." Meaning that we would run something like Tableau on top of Salesforce or whatever. right? [2], In May 2019, Frank Slootman joined Snowflake Inc. as its CEO. Okay? We cannot just read our emails and have a few phone conversations and know what's going on. Frank Slootman is the CEO of Snowflake, a cloud-based database firm he joined in 2019 and took public in September 2020 in a blockbuster IPO. Right? That's not a healthy dynamic. It's lights out, light speed and then fully disintermediated and it's fully programmatic. And today, there's an endless bank of software company elevators, but when you joined Comshare, it was in the nascent days of the tech world. They're very well dialed into it. That culture really keeps you safe from being indulgent or just, you're sort of presiding. They did not try to carry technology or ways of thinking forward. The good thing is you dont have to actually sit in with Slootman to get his lessons. Some of Wikitia's pages are sourced from Wikipedia.org's Mainspace and Draftspace. Software was barely an industry. Right? In other words, as a leadership team, it's not just the CEO. When you get that sensation, you do need to leave because you're no longer the right person for that situation. Data has no opinion. Currently, Lee is practicing the smidgen of Chinese that he picked up while visiting the Chinese mainland in hopes of someday being able to read certain historical texts in their original language. Because now you're buying somebody else's culture. This article "Frank Slootman" is from Wikipedia. Read More 10 Things You Did Not Know About Thoughtspot CEO Sudheesh NairContinue, If you follow business news, you may have heard that on September 29, 2021, Totango announced it had raised $100 million in Series D funding. You have served, as I intimated in the introduction, as the CEO of companies in Silicon Valley and now, Montana, but your story really begins 5,500 miles away from the West Coast. And it's just, it's intoxicating that energy. Frank Slootman Chairman and CEO at Snowflake Bozeman, Montana, United States 32K followers 500+ connections Join to follow Snowflake Erasmus University Rotterdam Articles by Frank Drivers vs.. It's just our nature to talk about problems." Obviously, that industry had moved on to all kinds of different disk space technologies. And when the whole world goes direct to consumer and it becomes disintermediated and goes wholly digital, the role of data obviously becomes insanely important. And we were babes in the wood back then. What are your God-given talents? The nascent liquidity of spot LNG freight markets, and the volatility of time charter rates has boosted demand for risk management tools. You arrived at something like tape sucks. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Information contained in this podcast was obtained in part from publicly available sources, and not independently verified. And when you let it happen, you get feed-ups. One of the worst, worst in the English language for me. I always talk about mission posture, which really means having a very, very intense visceral sense of what the company is trying to achieve. Architecturally, just damn near perfect, so. Frank, how did those early experiences rising through the ranks and being sent from problem to problem help you establish the principles for success that your career would see? So now, we're having business conversations about data. I hate to break it to the audience, but that is the way that it is. Volumes have increased and they've pretty much more than doubled, and we've actually nearly tripled the number of participants that we have as well. Prior to joining Snowflake, Frank served as the CEO of ServiceNow and that's NYSE ticker symbol, NOW and Data Domain, leading both of those firms successfully through their IPOs. You hit a mark, you have to do two 360s. At the same time, we've never had a data Cloud in the history of computing because data was just fragmented and proliferated into silos and what we call bunkers. Who is Snowflake CEO Frank Slootman? | The US Sun The information contained in this podcast was obtained in part from publicly available sources and not independently verified, neither ICE nor is affiliates, make any representations or warranties, express or implied as to the accuracy or completeness of the information and do not sponsor, approve or endorse any of the content herein. Snowflake CEO Frank Slootman Profile - Business Insider SAN MATEO, CA - May 1, 2019 - Snowflake Inc., the only data warehouse built for the cloud, today appointed Frank Slootman as its Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.Former CEO, Bob Muglia, has left the company after leading Snowflake through five years of unprecedented growth. What you're doing now is doing pretty good, so keep yourself in the game, Frank. Snowflake CEO Frank Slootman Wrote the Playbook on How to Amp It Up And he and I have very short conversations because by the time we start asking the question, we already know what the answer is type of thing. I can't get you aptitude. They're very lonely in their jobs. And, how do you design single best data operations platform you possibly can?". A decade after his death, fantasy artist Frank Frazetta still towers over the pop culture landscape as new fans discover his work. Slootman may be someone you wouldnt be comfortable sitting face-to-face with, but hes definitely someone you can listen to in a room full of people. They also appreciate it. Everything in our world starts with technology, starts with architecture, okay? Where I come from, people are quite resigned to their fate. It's not just a scale. What's the silver bullet? [22] In September 2019, it was ranked first on LinkedIn 's 2019 U.S. list of Top Startups. Frank & Brenda Slootman - 3001 W Ruby Hill Dr, Pleasanton, Ca 94566 Obviously all the financial reporting, all the systems. The IPO was the third for Dutch-born Slootman, who moved to California for a job at Compuware in the dotcom boom, then worked at Borland Software. It was originally known in Dutch as de Waalstraat when it was part of new Amsterdam in the 17th Century, an actual wall existed on the street from 1685 to 1699, protecting the early entrepreneurs and fur traders of Fort Amsterdam from encroachment from the north. And our conversation with Frank Slootman on how he amped up his career scaled three companies and the lessons he wants to now share with the world is coming up right after this. I mean, without the foresight of having read Amp It Up, our listeners might assume that a jump from into software would take you really the rest of the way in your career from your start in Europe, to Indiana, the Midwest, all the way to California. It wasn't long before top VCs weighed in. And companies that have been around a long time, it's near to impossible to undo the culture. New competitors, new partner ecosystems, so it was like, "Wow, this is the future." This page was last edited on 12 March 2021, at 18:12. In other words, somebody who has lived their lives over and over. Snowflake, a cloud-based data-warehousing company, went public at $120 a share, and has since seen shares trade as high as $328 per share. But as I got into retirement, the whole experience of retirement changes in the beginning, it's very euphoric, right? When I was interviewing with ServiceNow, I said to the board, "I want to bring Mike along." And then George Washington was sworn in as the first President of the United States, just a few feet from the front door of the NYSE on April 30th 1789. In other words, wants to call it out, wants to prosecute it because you can see good behavior, bad behavior around you all day long. Yeah, that goes back about mission posture. Now, tape technologies go all the way back to the early days of computing, because that was the form of magnetic storage that we had. Scale is definitely a problem because you get layers and layers and you got the problem of having tons of passengers on the boat, all these types of issues. I mean, that's how aligned this is, okay? And then I change myself to become that flavor of CEO. Spark 30S covers a route between the US Gulf coast and Northwest Europe, while Spark 25S covers a route between Australia and China. How does having who's worked closely with you for years help you accomplish your goals of hyper growth without losing focus? Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio. Snowflake CEO Frank Slootman: How To Boost Growth And Drive Meaningful