"They love what they're doing," Ed said of his sons. Blindsided. Having said that, this is a huge, huge blow for the Blackhawks and their fans. Of all the NHL transactions this offseason, one of the most unexpected was Olczyk leaving his hometown team and the Blackhawks broadcast after 16 seasons to join the Kraken. Olczyk, who has been on Hawks broadcasts since 2006, couldnt reach an agreement with management on a new contract. July 23, 2022 by Brooke LoFurno. Previously, he covered the Blackhawks and the White Sox for ESPN Chicago. Olczyk explained he tried to keep a "low profile" during the day. He expects to do about 45 Kraken games and probably another 50 NHL games, including the playoffs, with TNT. Honestly, I shouldnt say, but its only rained one day in like the 30 Ive been here so far. He also uses those flights to catch up on whats going on around the league or in horse racing, which he still broadcasts for NBC. "For 16 seasons, we were fortunate to. We are going to miss him as much as our fans will. But, he hopes you enjoyed his time in Chicago. Itll be great to be back home and Im sure it will be emotional for me on the inside, for sure. Those who are a fan of image upscaling and Fallout 4 will be pleased to When thinking about most of the games Olczyk worked last year, they were mainly with Foley before he joined Chris Vosters for a handful of games toward the end of the season. Hall of Fame play-by-play voice Pat Foley was forced out after last season, the team traded star winger Alex DeBrincat on draft day and now Olczyk is departing. We went to the bank and borrowed $675 and signed a promissory note so he could go on a hockey trip. Regarding a replacement for Eddie, Mark Lazerus of The Athletic brought up the names of Patrick Sharp, Adam Burish, and Caley Chelios. But although that scare made him want to fight for the things he already appreciated, the death last summer of Olczyks mother, Diana, reminded him there was still more hed like to do. With Eddie and Ricky being four years apart and Eddie leaving home when he was 16 to play hockey, they spent only a part of their childhoods together. We are going to miss him as much as our fans will,". Eddie's sons are continuing the hockey tradition in the Olczyk family. We just could not come to terms on a contract, and I have stepped away, Eddie Olczyk told the Sun-Times on Monday. Foley is in a production truck outside the United Center, and Olczyk is at NBC Sports Networks studios in Stamford, Conn. Is Larry Elder Related to the Late Golf Legend, Lee Elder. We are going to miss him as much as our fans will. It was a head-scratching moment to hear that Eddie Olczyk planned to leave the Chicago Blackhawks' broadcasting booth for good. Theres negotiations, and we agreed to disagree, and everybody has moved on, he said. Blackhawks TV analyst Eddie Olczyk bolts for Seattle Kraken after Hawks talks break down, Eddie Olczyk owns decision to leave Blackhawks, but he didnt arrive at it alone, Cubs Justin Steele back on track after efficient first spring-training start, Cubs spring-training camp thins as WBC participants leave for tournament, Bulls get a painful lesson in what a real playoff team should look like, Sectional final roundup: Simeon, St. Ignatius win in 3A; Oswego East takes down Joliet West in 4A, Blown leads continue plaguing Bulls as Billy Donovan searches for a fix, Blackhawks GM Kyle Davidson concludes frenetic trade deadline week with reflective Friday, Dear Abby: When my husbands brother marries, I should be in the wedding, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg and wife to invest $250 million in new Chicago research lab, Jose Abreu on life with the Astros and leaving the White Sox, who werent a family in 2022, Chicago police officer was shot and killed in front of kids playing at school: They ran as quickly as possible just to get to safety, Dear Abby: With boyfriends fussy father living here, I feel trapped, Tom Sizemore dies at 61; actor known for Saving Private Ryan, Natural Born Killers. My mom would take my dad's car to go home to go south. him some grave news about her namesake thoroughbred. Eddie Olczyk has been the Blackhawks TV analyst since 2006. I think that's a perfect slogan if you can quote our family.". He became, as Boyle put, "the soundtrack" to the Hawks' dynasty. Eddie Olczyk joined the Seattle Kraken broadcast team as a television analyst Thursday. In Seattle, Olczyk will be reunited with occasional TNT platform mate John Forslund on ROOT Sports Northwest and younger brother Rick Olczyk, an assistant GM of the Kraken. His son Eddie was a Kraken amateur scout. He had also been working for NBC Sports Chicago behind the scenes. "We're very, very blessed. At the end of the day it is always about money and terms. The Hawks and Olczyk reached a verbal agreement to create another contract before then. Nicks hiring by the Kraken did help make Olczyks decision easier. Book a personalized video $49. For as good as Olczyk is a broadcaster, I will even more so miss his personality and what he brought to the broadcasts as a human being. The Olczyks had been more of a football and baseball family to that point, but 6-year-old Eddie wanted to give skating a try. CHICAGO -- Diana Olczyk can still remember the color of the pamphlet her oldest son, Eddie Olczyk, handed her more than 40 years ago, the one that started it all. My plan, full honesty, was then to make the jump to the American League for five years and then have 10 years in the minors and then maybe get a chance in the NHL. The moves are not sitting well with fans, who might feel the sting of this more than the rebuild. With his adoptive family, the Touhys, and other influential . The root cause of. And coming out of those heavy days, entering the final year of his Blackhawks broadcast deal, Olczyk, 55, decided there was a remaining hockey dream hed like to fulfill if afforded the opportunity. We appreciate his many contributions and wish him well in his future endeavors.. He was traded again in 1990 to the Winnipeg Jets, with Mark Osborne for Dave Ellett and Paul Fenton. I had an incredible conversation with Rocky, met with him in person, as well as Danny and Jaime. The couple is blessed with four children namely Nick Olczyk, Zandra Olczyk, Tom Olczyk, and Eddie Olczyk.. All of his sons are involved in hockey as Nick and Tom are currently playing professional hockey and Eddie is a former player who currently is an assistant coach for Niagara . The Hawks and Olczyk had been talking for weeks about a potential contract, but the team essentially let him test free agency. I always wanted to have my job combine my two loves -- hockey and law -- eventually. "Again, his love for hockey and his passion, and my love and passion for hockey is a common bond. So to be around him more, I know my mom is smiling, which makes us all feel pretty good.. Look, I never thought Id leave home. The 55-year-old spent the past 15 seasons with the Chicago Blackhawks as their TV color . The audio of Olczyk saying "This has been tremendously tremendous" was an instant hit among hockey enthusiasts and was the subject of many spoofs online. Some will do it better than others and an imbalance in air time will ensue. [11], Rick Olczyk, Eddie's younger brother, is a former hockey player for Brown University and became an assistant general manager for the Kraken in 2019. Thank you Eddie for all you have done for the Blackhawks and the city of Chicago, and best of luck on your newest adventure! He often traveled for NHL games and his work still leads him to travel across the country. Eddie Olczyk released a statement sayinghe wasdiagnosed with colon cancer. Unlike Eddie, who was a forward, Ricky's path was as a defenseman. "[14], In October 2019, Olczyk released his autobiography, Eddie Olczyk: Beating the Odds in Hockey and in Life, in which he shares details of his fight with stage 3 colon cancer.[15]. Along with being a longtime color commentator for the NHL . He spent 16 years in the National Hockey League, playing for six teams, including the Penguins. Is Najee Harris Related to Pittsburgh Steelers Legend, Franco Harris? He is a class act. Despite his arrival at Turner for hockey, Olczyks deal will allow him to remain at NBC to cover handicap horse racing. The loss of Olczyk in the broadcasting booth makes me very sad. Eddie Olczyk @Edzo16. How could he? He finished his career in Chicago. He will be deeply missed. He also did interim Blackhawks radio work last season after their analyst, Troy Murray, was diagnosed with cancer. He's a fighter to the core and is going to beat this. On July 18, 2022, Olczyk left the Blackhawks following a contract dispute to join the broadcasting team for the Seattle Kraken. "Once you're in, you're in," said Eddie, 49, who is an analyst for the Chicago Blackhawks and nationally for NBC. Given their current outlook, he may have realized there was no better time than the present. And just make sure I walk into the right booth. And then theres general manager Ron Francis, who was roommates with Olczyk in the final season for both with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1997-98. The credibility that Olczyk brought to his role was second to none. As time passed and Olczyk hadnt signed a new contract with the Blackhawks, there was the growing possibility he could become a free agent. First, he hit on Majestic . Join host Nick Olczyk for exclusive interviews, analysis, and dispatches from the road. About 25 years ago, Diana O. ranin the Pocahontas Stakes while Eddie was in Winnipeg for the hockey game. I mean thats just the reality of the world we live in. He has also written for the Daily Herald and the Chicago Sun-Times and has been a sportswriter in the Chicagoland area for the past 15 years. Rather, we get to remember the calls that made celebrating their achievements that much more because he was part of sharing the good news. Eddie Olczyk was ready to give up. Players, coaches, execs vote for NHL's top centers, Road to the men's Frozen Four: Conference tournaments at a glance, Theodore scores in SO, Golden Knights beat Devils 4-3, Lineup picks, matchups, start or sit advice for Friday. For me, what it did was it reassured me that I was in a pretty good place before I was sick. Follow Scott on Twitter @byscottpowers, Nick Olczyk, John Forslund and Eddie Olczyk are part of the Krakens broadcast team this season. I want to make that perfectly clear this was my decision.". On July 18, it was announced that beloved Chicago Blackhawks ' broadcaster Eddie Olczyk would leave the organization after serving 16 years as a color . I really have a lot of respect for what theyre doing and how theyre going about it. "We'd park at the tollway oasis, walk together, meet halfway. CHICAGO (AP) Eddie Olczyk is leaving the Chicago Blackhawks after 16 years as a color commentator on their television broadcasts and is expected to work Seattle Kraken games next season. The decision left Hawks' fans confused. Just the way everything worked out and everybody kind of being in the places and the opportunity that was there, I needed to take a step back and figure out if that was (what I wanted).. Eddie Olczyk. Nick once elaborated how hockey crazy the family is, We have a plaque, actually, in our house right when you walk in the foyer that says, We interrupt this family for hockey. I think thats a perfect slogan if you can quote our family.. Tommy is a nationally ranked senior forward for Penn State. And as Olczyk put it, the fans might not enjoy the outcome but he hopes you enjoyed the broadcast. After that, he became one of the best color commentators in the sport. He called the Blackhawks' games through a historic run of championship hockey. No one will know the real reasons the contract went into the paper shredder. Heres what you need to know about Eddie Olczyks wife, Diana Olczyk. And he isnt just reuniting with his brother. He was also inducted into the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame in 2013. On April 8, 2010, Olczyk returned to Pittsburgh to join more than 50 former Pittsburgh Penguins players being honored in a pregame ceremony before the final regular season game at Civic Arena in Pittsburgh. I feel bad, but its hard not to do that.. The Zamboni word mark and configuration of the Zamboni ice resurfacing machine are registered trademarks of Frank J. Zamboni & Co., Inc. Frank J. Zamboni & Co., Inc. 2023. The hockey tradition has also carried on with Eddie's three sons, who are all coaching and playing hockey. His oldest son, also named Eddie, is a 26-year-old assistant coach at Niagara University. Its the first time hes been on the same team as his older brother, Eddie. As a fan, he made watching and listening to that much more of a treat as a result. According to a source, the Hawks would not give him the same contract length that the Kraken did. His oldest son, also named Eddie, is a 26-year-old assistant coach at Niagara University. Im sure going back will feel a little different, but its home. From 1984 through 1987, Olczyk was a member of Chicago's infamous "Clydesdale Line" with Troy Murray and Curt Fraser, the nickname coined by Chicago's broadcaster Pat Foley, as each player weighed in at or around 200 pounds. And with their family, was always Diana. In the book, Olczyk talks about how he was bullied as a child; his ascension to the NHL as an 18-year-old rookie; the night he was traded from Toronto to Winnipeg as his wife was about to give. 1 draft choice for his hometown Chicago Blackhawks. We're excited to welcome award-winning broadcaster & @NHL veteran Eddie Olczyk to the #SeaKraken family where he'll join @JohnForslund & @JTBrown23 in the Kraken broadcast . But it was not meant to be. So, its going to be fun.. There is something fun about being a pioneer, Leiweke said. He was born on August 16, 1966 and his birthplace is Chicago, United States. However, because we dont know what the conversations looked like, its hard to gauge what went into the decision entirely. Exactly one year after his diagnosis, there was one goal remaining: Olczyk was to watch son Eddie Jr. get married Saturday. Chelios, well, I was impressed with ALL her commentary last season, of which she was trialed in all aspects. Im frustrated and sad about this news. In March 2018, Olczyk announced that he was officially "cancer-free". In . We appreciate his many . "I think we've gotten closer," Ricky said. They were hoping Eddie would be a bridge to that newness. Founded in 2009, The Hockey Writers is a premier destination for news and information on everything hockey. Send the video to friends and family and don't forget to capture their priceless reactions. While Olczyk has repeatedly said it was his decision to step aside during his recent media appearances, it seems very evident he didnt want to leave. Despite ample legal trouble, Sizemore had steady film and television credits. From making the U.S. Olympic Team in 1984 to winning his battle with cancer over three decades later, its incredible how much hes accomplished over his life. Hell join the ROOT Sports booth alongside incumbent Kraken play-by-play voice John Forslund a former NBC Sports teammate on national broadcasts and analyst JT Brown. Eddie Olczyk (fully Edward Walter Olczyk Jr.) is an American professional ice hockey analyst who also formerly played ice hockey as a center for NHL teams like Chicago Blackhawks, Toronto Maple Leafs, Winnipeg Jets, New York Rangers, Los Angeles Kings, and the Pittsburgh Penguins. No one will ever be able to replace Edzo, but you need those traits for the lead analyst role. He had 794 points (342 goals, 452 assists) in 1,031 games for the Blackhawks, Pittsburgh Penguins, Los Angeles Kings, Winnipeg Jets, New York Rangers and Toronto Maple Leafs, and was part of the Rangers' 1994 Stanley Cup championship. Honestly, more disappointed than surprised. . And the one thing I guess Im proud and excited to say is that I dont. His brother Ricky is an assistant general manager, his son Eddie is an amateur scout and general manager Ron Francis is a close friend. That kind of reminds you, 'Work hard and you do what you have to do and it's for your children.' Olczyk, with Toronto Sun journalist Lefko, presents a gripping account of his remarkable life, from his selection for the 1984 U.S. Olympic Hockey team through his remarkable battle with colon cancer. Add local institution Eddie Olczyk to the list. They may not know what an icing is, or a specific slang in hockey. Olczyk stated, Negotiations are hard. He is one of us, a Blackhawks fan. Click here to follow the Blackhawks Talk Podcast. [1] Career [ edit] Olczyk, who turns 51 on Aug. 16, has been the in-game analyst for Chicago Blackhawks games on Comcast SportsNet Chicago and WGN-TV since the 2006-07 season. We're truly grateful and appreciative of it. The two sides fit perfectly in that regard. But if youre Olczyk, do you really want to do that?Just like with Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews. Tommy, 25, is a senior forward for . I believe it was a God-given gift to play hockey. Happy to say I've done that today.". Their parents have enjoyed watching the relationship evolve and witnessing how each son arrived at his goal of the NHL in his own way. The couple now owns four thoroughbred horses and hes also a big advocate of the safety of the animals. The Hawks offered him one, but Olczyk decided it was time for him to leave. His adoration for the organization was obvious and it oozed out in the best of ways. The grueling ordeal, chronicled in hisBeating the Odds: In Hockey and in Lifebook co-authored with Perry Lefko, ended in March 2018 when he announced on-air he was cancer-free. The news of Olczyk leaving the Blackhawks. My point is that Olczyk is a man of heart and a man who cares about the game of hockey and anybody else who happens to care about hockey. With Kevin Durant now in the mix, the new-look Suns showed the Bulls just how much firepower they have. Eddie Olczyk owns decision to leave Blackhawks, but he didnt arrive at it alone, Cubs Justin Steele back on track after efficient first spring-training start, Cubs spring-training camp thins as WBC participants leave for tournament, Bulls get a painful lesson in what a real playoff team should look like, Sectional final roundup: Simeon, St. Ignatius win in 3A; Oswego East takes down Joliet West in 4A, Blown leads continue plaguing Bulls as Billy Donovan searches for a fix, Blackhawks GM Kyle Davidson concludes frenetic trade deadline week with reflective Friday, Dear Abby: When my husbands brother marries, I should be in the wedding, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg and wife to invest $250 million in new Chicago research lab, Jose Abreu on life with the Astros and leaving the White Sox, who werent a family in 2022, Chicago police officer was shot and killed in front of kids playing at school: They ran as quickly as possible just to get to safety, Dear Abby: With boyfriends fussy father living here, I feel trapped, Tom Sizemore dies at 61; actor known for Saving Private Ryan, Natural Born Killers. "I think both sides certainly expected to get a contract done.". The Sutter family, theyve been able to work together. Eddie Olczyk: Birth Realities, Family, and Childhood Edward Walter Olczyk Jr. was conceived on August 16, 1966, in Chicago, Illinois, U.S. Whether it was from Winnipeg to Los Angeles or Pittsburgh back to Chicago, there was Diana Olczyk with four kids, carrying three hockey bags, occasionally a diaper bag and tying a lot of skates. Olczyk was a member of the 1984 U.S. Olympic hockey team and was a No. We just could not come to terms on a contract, and I have stepped away, Olczyk told the Sun-Times. Im sure there will be a day where its pouring rain, and Ill call you, like, hey, its raining here, just so you know, and it hasnt stopped.. . Clearly, the Blackhawks are taking the concept of a rebuild to a whole new level. Olczyk also has an interest in Thoroughbred horse racing, appearing in advertisements for Xpressbet and serving as a guest commentator and handicapper for major horse racing events such as the Kentucky Derby, Kentucky Oaks, Preakness Stakes, and the Belmont Stakes on NBC networks, and on WGN Sports coverage of the Arlington Million that is fed nationally. As though the Blackhawks were giving onlookers much to be optimistic about in the first place, their ability to find the right fit in this regard that quickly seems farfetched at best. They showed an extreme interest in wanting me, or at least exploring the opportunity, Olczyk said of the Kraken. He is also ranked in the richest person list from United States. I don't know why we're so deserving of these fortunes. He got to see his old team and his good friend Troy Murray at the Blackhawks game in Denver against the Colorado Avalanche to begin the season, which felt good. Olczyk had talked to a lot of people since the news broke, but he hadnt really seen many Blackhawks personnel since then. He returned to Pittsburgh to become the color commentator for the Penguins on FSN Pittsburgh, where he was given the nickname "Edzo" by current radio announcer and then co-announcer Mike Lange. He continues through another door that leads him outside, then through another door back inside. I went from building a case for why he should have been considered Chicagos next general manager on Blackhawks Banter, to being less than surprised to see him depart their broadcasting booth. He would have been honest, but also positive, about the new direction. . Though I understand hes older than some of the teams current broadcasters, he is 100% worth keeping around, even in the worst of times. Their daughter, Alexandra is a student at the University of Alabama. Ricky looked up to his older brother throughout Eddie's hockey ascension and began dedicating himself to the sport as well. His tiring flight schedule throughout his career had an upside. Longtime analyst Eddie Olczyk will not return to the team. By: Caroline John - Published: August 9, 2017 at 10:20 am, Photo: Ronald Martinez / Staff/ Getty Images. But even before Olczyk officially hit the market in July, the Kraken reached out to the Blackhawks and asked permission to talk to him while he was still under contract. That became more complicated when the family moved from Niles, a northwest Chicago suburb, to Palos Heights, a southwest suburb, and Eddie still had practices in the northwest suburbs. 4.05. Next Up In Olczyk was pleased the Blackhawks replaced him with Murray and Patrick Sharp, two people he has known and respected for many years. According to Diana, Tommy gave as much as attention to books as pucks from middle school, throughout high school and carried a 4.0 GPA to Penn State. Tommy, 25, is a senior forward for nationally ranked Penn State. [1], Olczyk grew up in Niles, Illinois and Palos Heights, Illinois and went to Brother Rice Catholic High School. And then he started a 16-year long broadcasting journey with them in 2006. Not because its not possible, but more so because the void that Foley and Olczyk leave will be extremely difficult to fill. I just expressed to them that I felt at this particular time it was best for me step away. We'd go north for hockey. Foley retired after last season after his 39-year tenure as a play-by-play announcer, and less than three months later, fans have to say goodbye to another big part of their team in Olczyk. Scott Powers is a senior writer for The Athletic covering the Chicago Blackhawks. If thats the case, do you blame him? Olczyk still doesnt want to get too into why he passed on the Blackhawks contract offer and ultimately left the team. He went to a couple of Seattle Mariners games. It was on a flight with the Chicago Blackhawks, who picked him in 1984 NHL draft, that he met Diana. Im frustrated that the Blackhawks could not get a deal done, and Im sad because of what the team will miss. SUMMARY Throughout his career as an NHL player, he played 1,031 NHL games and produced 342 goals and 452 assists for a total of 794 points. , but obviously, it worked out well for this longtime married couple. Where Is Damani Whitlock from Last Chance U Season 2 Now? But, now he's moving on. Eddie Olczyk's cancer battle was an extended family affair. The actor suffered a brain aneurysm Feb. 18 at his Los Angeles home and died in his sleep Friday at a hospital in Burbank, California, his manager said. Besides Nick, Olczyk's brother Ricky is an assistant general manager for the Kraken and son Eddie Jr. is an amateur scout. Seattle Kraken (@SeattleKraken) August 11, 2022 Playing Career Back on June 9, 1984 the Chicago Blackhawks selected 20 year old Chicago native Eddie Olczyk third overall. But giving a woman this kind of rein would certainly be a good look for an organization that has been through the mud politically these past few seasons.Or it could backfire. He played the last two seasons of his career in Chicago. He also doesnt have to wait long to return to Chicago and the United Center. He was traded several times during his career. [12], On August 8, 2017, Olczyk issued a statement through the Blackhawks to announce that he had been diagnosed with a form of colon cancer. It started with multiple reports detailing that he was stepping away. Not confident at all. It wasnt a secret he was due a new deal in the summer. Their daughter, Alexandra is a student at the University of Alabama. Last season, he got a chance to call his first NHL games for the Blackhawks and did many more than expected when Murray missed games while battling cancer. Follow. Use census records and voter lists to see where families with the Olczyk surname lived. During the next season, he was traded back to the Winnipeg Jets for their fifth-round choice (who ended up being Alexei Vasiliev) in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft. Olczyk, who has been one of the voices of the Blackhawks since 2006, will assume the analyst role with the Seattle Kraken joining the team his brother Ricky works for as an assistant general . Olczyk is Chicago, just like Foley. "Our lives are hockey," Nick said. With the Blackhawks heading into unchartered territory, with pain ahead for every inch of the franchise, it almost seems fitting that Olczyk has found a way to escape it all in advance. August 11, 2022. He was one last thing to cling to, and now he is gone. "I have been working with outstanding health care professionals and expect to be back in the broadcast booth after I complete my treatment," Olczyk said in a statement issued by the Blackhawks on Tuesday. We all simply have to get used to a different voice. The Family Man. He joined the Hurricanes as assistant general manager in June 2014. However, I feel like that may not be a realistic possibility, considering the teams apparent youth movement. Ed Olczyk is a member of NBC's Horse Racing coverage. It will be a growing season within the booth next year for sure. He also currently serves as the Horse Racing Handicapper and Analyst for NBC's Horse Racing Coverage.