Paul Westerberg was born on December 31, 1959 in Edina, MN. He chews it slowly. The 100 Best Albums of 2022, From 1979, years before Nirvana, to 1991, the Replacements had the best shot at bringing the fury and values of punk to a mainstream audience. He launched a solo career after the dissolution of that band. The band made several albums for local label Twin/Tone before signing to Sire Records in 1985. Editors picks Thats when I started to drink again. This record was not meant to sell., The house phone rings and Paul lets it go to voice message. So you try to grow, in kind of a juvenile way you think youre the Beatles or whatever.. The band broke up in 1991. I think they were scared. We go through our little things but were tight for life, he concludes. Westerberg favored a declaration of the band as lazy bastards to the end, and smashed his guitar at Primavera, instead of a press release declaring the reunion dead. I dont really have anything to say, but why not? In recent years, he has cultivated a more independent-minded approach, primarily recording his music at home in his basement. The Replacements began performing in the Twin Cities punk scene, showcasing Westerberg's songs in a classic rockfriendly punk style. Westerberg co-wrote the song "Backlash" with Joan Jett for her 1991 album Notorious and played guitar with her on the song's video. Paul Westerberg - MusicBrainz Paul Westerberg ~ Person Relationships Aliases Tags Reviews Details Edit Legal name: Paul Harold Westerberg Also performs as: Bill Expectorate, Elrod Puce, Grandpaboy, Mr. F ( Paul Westerburg), Pablo Louseorama, Senator Jim Dracula Discography Filter Album Album + Compilation Album + Soundtrack Single EP I dont want to be too philosophical, but to be happy, it doesnt matter where you are., Tom Sizemore, star of 'Saving Private Ryan,' 'Heat,' dies at 61 after brain aneurysm, Josh Hartnett is done talking about his break from Hollywood but ready to make fun of actors: 'We're the worst', Michael B. Jordan admits muscle gain for 'Creed' has been harder as he's gotten older, Billy Bush suggests Amy Robach and T.J. Holmes start their own show after ABC exit: 'They've got something that works', How to watch every Oscars 2023 Best Picture nominee. The Replacements reunited in 2012, notably playing several dates at Riot Fest in 2013 and the Coachella Music Festival in 2014. After touring for the album (which was critically well-received) with replacement Replacements, Westerberg and bassist Tommy Stinson went their separate ways.[12]. You can change your choices at any time by clicking on the 'Privacy dashboard' links on our sites and apps. Q&A: Paul Westerberg on the Replacements Reunion It did yield the alternative radio hit "Love Untold". In true Mats fashion, the reunion ended abruptly and unofficially. Homes - Celebrity - Entertainment - Musicians that tend to call the most famous people YouTube stars or Reality TV stars, we've decided to mark fame as a persons importance in history. Its 11:45 a.m., Im supposed to be meeting Westerberg at noon, and we havent even locked in a location. The I Dont Cares dropped 1/2 2 P on Halloween last year, and while the duos formation came as a surprise, the collaboration sounds and feels natural. But his 1993 solo debut, 14 Songs, sold poorly, and subsequent releases continued the trajectory. Im better off if I get up and ride my bike early in the morning, even if its just to buy a coffee and a smoke., I decide I want to play a game, similar to the Replacements free-association segment featured in the 2003 Westerberg tour documentary, Come Feel Me Tremble. Paul is also well known as, Lead singer and guitarist for the seminal 1980's indie rock band The Replacements. I inquire about his bad back, an ailment that required a stage couch for the Replacements 2014 Coachella appearance. [24], Westerberg was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, the son of Mary Louise (ne Philipp) and Harold ('Hal') Robert Westerberg (19182003), an employee of Cadillac-General Motors. Im drinking strong black coffee and absently picking at an onion bagel while eyeing my phone. Westerberg, Harold age 95. died on 6/30/17 in Edina after being diagnosed with acute Leukemia in May. Birth dateThursday, December 31, 1959. He has three sisters: Anne, Julie, and Mary. He's gonna cancel on me. Westerberg's first solo releases were two songs, "Waiting for Somebody" and "Dyslexic Heart", for the soundtrack to the 1992 Cameron Crowe film Singles, for which he is also credited with composing and performing the score. He launched a solo career after the dissolution of that band. He launched a solo career after the dissolution of that band. The barren walls are spray-painted haphazardly green in patches, as if a teenager, not Paul, tagged the place. cache 6h 0m Not this time, folks, Paul didnt seem to notice he was being followed by a good chunk of Minneapolis. In December 2005, Westerberg reconvened with Tommy Stinson and Chris Mars to record two new songs for a compilation titled Don't You Know Who I Think I Was?, which was released in 2006. Its unclear if Paul Westerberg, the frontman for The Replacements, was just talking to himself in the way someone normally would or if he truly had some things on his mind. Stereo and Mono were recorded in Westerberg's basement studio. Thats the treasure that we got, to be able to sit in the big atrium where youre taking a break and Prince shuffles by in his slippers and makes some popcorn in the microwave.. Paul Westerberg Biography, Age, Height, Wife, Net Worth, Family A 56-year old native Minnesotan, Westerberg doesnt care that I keep my snowy boots on in the house. His younger sister, Mary Lucia, is a DJ at local radio station 89.3 The Current. 1, and the Vagrant Records sampler Another Year on the Streets, Vol. What . After a couple of vague jokes about needing performance enhancers (Want to freshen up? In the late 1970s Westerberg was working as a janitor for U.S. I like Gene Vincent and the way he looked. His third album, Suicaine Gratifaction, is a piano-driven, melancholy, and highly personal work. Paul very politely refused to discuss his and Hatfields personal relationship during the interview, but I can tell, right now, hes happy. A blizzard is on the way, and the first flakes have started falling on this nervous Friday morning, two days before Valentine's. I'm sitting in an upscale bagel shop in Edina, Minnesota, less than a mile from Paul Westerberg's house. It was absolute insanity and I was so frightened when I made it that people would think I was schizophrenic., I ask Paul if he can play me something on guitar and he reluctantly agrees. No, he says definitively. After some false starts trying for Kiss Me on the Bus, a classic Mats tune from 1985s Tim, Paul stares at me blankly, guitar slung over his shoulder. Hostility would have been welcomed, he says. He talked his way into the band by convincing the singer that the other band members Bob Stinson, Chris Mars and Tommy Stinson were going to fire the singer. In addition, Tommy Stinson is featured playing bass on the songs "Love You in the Fall" and "Right to Arm Bears." After the majorly hyped and generally well-received solo debut 14 Songs in 1993, 1996s Eventually failed to spark crossover success. There are days when time can get a little abstract for Paul Westerberg, and his schedule gets squishy. He inspired the title of an episode of Greys Anatomy. Learn How rich is He in this year and how He spends money? It was me speaking for the band. [25][26] He married his first wife, Lori Bizer, in 1987. He divorced amicably from his wife, author and former ZuZus Petals guitarist Laurie Lindeen, in 2014. Halfway through the song he stands and plucks absent-mindedly on the piano. In 1995, Bob died at age 35 of organ failure related to years of substance abuse. But we did record a lot at Paisley Park, and he became comfortable enough to grace us with his presence, not bejeweled and not dressed up. [30], Westerberg has been honored with two stars on the outside mural of the Minneapolis nightclub First Avenue,[31] recognizing performers that have played sold-out shows or have otherwise demonstrated a major contribution to the culture at the iconic venue. I have somewhere to go.'. You can also follow the Album of the Day - a classic album presented in its entirety. They are considered the most important person in history born in Edina in the state of Minnesota. Harold Westerberg Obituary | Star Tribune [1], Westerberg has had problems with alcoholism but overcame his addiction in 1990. Also performs as: Bill Expectorate, Elrod Puce, Grandpaboy, Mr. F (Paul Westerburg), Pablo Louseorama, Senator Jim Dracula, Showing official release groups by this artist (Show all release groups / Show official various artist release groups / Show all various artist release groups), DonateWikiForumsChat (IRC)Bug TrackerBlogTwitterUse beta site. In 1996, he released his second solo album, titled Eventually, which was tepidly received by critics and had modest sales. Her timbre is sweet yet powerful, and pairs seductively with Westerbergs rasp (the duo playfully refers to the contrast of their voices as Sandpaper and Daffodil). In the online, May 24, 2013, version of The New York Times' Measure for Measure feature, he set forth his songwriting creed, which privileges the virtues of inspiration and spontaneity over gradually developing and revising a song. In 2017, Westerberg released songs on SoundCloud as User 964848511 and on Bandcamp as Dry Wood Garage. Paul Westerberg | Discography | Discogs He is from MN. [9] They soon changed their name to the Replacements after several venues declined to advertise the band under their original name.[10]. Paul Westerberg's 3 research works with 1 citations and 506 reads, including: ICMJE author disclosure forms In the ABC medical dramas eighth season, viewers were treated to an installment entitled Let The Bad Times Roll. Sure, its easy to write it off as just a tweaking of the more popular let the good times roll, but weve seen it in several places that it actually came from Westerbergs song of the same name on his 2002 album STEREO. And as if he had just rewritten Bastards of Young, these starved for content Gen Xers erupted into applause, and a bootleg of the musing made its way into heavy rotation on The Current. Westerberg became increasingly prolific, releasing Dead Man Shake (as Grandpaboy), Come Feel Me Tremble, and Folker all within the next two years. Their final album, All Shook Down, was mainly a Westerberg solo project; there were a number of guest performers and the other three members of the band (including Slim Dunlap, who had replaced Bob Stinson three years earlier to tour in support of Pleased to Meet Me), made minimal contributions. That kind of sucked, didnt it?, Related The album, 49:00 Of Your Time/Life, was taken down from Amazon.com and TuneCore store a few weeks later. Paul Westerberg 101. I say that and Im still a human being. Im trying to be cool and think it doesnt matter. They divorced in 2014. Rate Your Music is an online community of people who love music. . Additionally, "Lookin' Up in Heaven" appears on the Starbucks sampler Hear Music, Vol. Stereo and Mono were recorded in Westerberg's basement studio. [28] They have a son, Johnny (born 1998), whose voice is likely on 49:00[29] and "Whatever Makes You Happy" from Westerberg's solo album Suicaine Gratifaction. The Replacements: The Greatest Band That Never Was, Yo La Tengo Are Beautifully Bummed on This Stupid World, Brooklyn Indie Rockers Geese Hit the Open Road on Their New Single, Cowboy Nudes, David Crosby, Iconoclastic Rocker, Dead at 81, The National Stay Up Late to Perform 'Tropic Morning News' on Fallon, David Lindley, Multi-Instrumentalist Who Shaped the Sound of Soft Rock, Dead at 78, How Deem Spencer Learned to be Vulnerable on His New Album adultSW!M, Suki Waterhouse Won't Take Romance for Granted on New Single 'To Love', Travis Barker Says His Finger Ligament Surgery Was a 'Success' After Postponing Blink-182 Tour. You take Hollywoods money and you eat Hollywoods s**t. They aint called me back since., 49:00 (2008): If I drop dead tomorrow, thats my masterpiece. From the lyrical content of "5:05," it is believed that 49:00 was recalled due to copyright issues in the ending cover medley. It creeps up on ya., Paul takes a pull on an e-cig. In late 2015, Westerberg announced that he had formed a new band called The I Don't Cares with musician Juliana Hatfield. Paul W. Sternberg - Wikipedia Then Im told through his manager that he now wants to meet at a neutral location (not a bar) where he can smoke. Hes almost exactly my height, 57 and change. MINNEAPOLIS Minnesotans, like the rest of the country, have been so pent up and starved for live entertainment for the past year that theyve gotten desperate. Their debut album, Wild Stab, was released in January 2016. If you would like to customise your choices, click 'Manage privacy settings'. Mumbling, Wandering Paul Westerberg Draws Crowd of 10,000 I second-guessed this interview, Westerberg says. Paul Harold Westerberg. Live, they careened toward the edge of self-destruction. 2. I dont think Ive written my best song yet, he says. I could tell that the younger people werent used to seeing the real thing., One of the more interesting stunts on the Mats reunion tour was Pauls habit of wearing different T-shirts every night, each featuring a different letter spray-painted on them, eventually spelling out the disconsolate message, I have always loved you. Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen - People thought the couch was a stunt, says Westerberg. He hired Vandals drummer Josh Freese as the touring drummer for The Replacements during their 2013-2014 reunion shows. The following year, Reprise Records released his first solo album 14 Songs. Paul Westerberg is the most famous person from Edina, Minnesota. Paul Westerbergs income source is mostly from being a successful Musician. I cant do this! Then 15 minutes later I thought, This is just a guy who wants to talk to me. He would be onstage in a trench coat and nothing else, says Dave Pirner of Soul Asylum. This Powderhorn Resident Hasnt Joined a Single Puppeteering Collective Despite Living in the Neighborhood for Six Months, Minneapolis Declares Uptown White Cultural District, February Blizzard Renamed Kirk Cousins After Falling Short of Expectations, Egg Prices Hit an All Time High at 25 Dollars per Gallon, St. Paul Snowplow Driver Mistakes Homeowners Trash Can for Mario Kart Power-up, We Just Want Them off the Streets: Minneapolis Opens Shelters for Ungaraged Cars Ahead of Blizzard, Lastest Mighty Act of God Pretty Fucking Inconvenient. Their self-sabotaging attitude didnt change when they got their first hints of stardom. I couldnt find a certain song if I had to. December 31 Singer #18. With new management and a new independent label, Vagrant Records, he released two records simultaneously, Stereo and Mono (Mono being released under his alter ego Grandpaboy). Paul W. Sternberg is an American biologist. Lead singer and guitarist for the seminal 1980's indie rock band The Replacements. He stopped playing the game, opting for semi-retirement in Edina to raise Johnny.