Apply the degreaser to the front and the back of each cabinet as well as to the frames. NOTE: The only reason I went over it with another stain was for one, it was an experiment, and for two, I wanted to have a two-toned color, which in fact, I did achieve with using both the gel and regular stain:). After I was finished with all the Christmas decorating I found something else I have been wanting to do for years. I want to say the color was Java. Will this work over Chalk paint sealed with polyurethane? 6 Great White Doors with Wood Trim Ideas - Homenish I was told to lightly knock off the peeling and use a good primer to prevent further peeling then paint. When finished rubbing across the grain, rub the stain with the grain and allow to penetrate to preferred tone. I used to use a color named Harvest but it is actually the exact same shade as Van Dyke Brown, just a different name. [8] The paint may take longer to dry if it is very cold or humid where you live. This was the first time I ever worked with gel stain, and I loved it. I like to use large foam brushes because they dont leaf brush strokes and they are super cheap so I just throw them away after each coat. Faux wood door how-to tutorial - YouTube Paint the corners using an artist brush. This easy and inexpensive how-to will show you how to make your door look like wood using gel stain! Normally, we will tape off a small area first but Im going to show you what to do on a wood sample. While it is still wet, run a paint comb through the layer of glaze and paint mix. You can see below that I refinished my breakfast table and the coffee table in my living room with this stain color here: How to Use Paint as a Stain, GLAZE LAYER 2: Sherwin Williams Black Bean, This is a versatile stain that works well for a traditional look or a more rustic farmhouse style. And would I need to seal with something since its a high traffic and use area? If you are a work-in-progress, just like I am, check out the Renovate Your Faith Devotional at the bottom of each DIY and home dcor post. However, they are not used every day, so use your own judgment. A DIYer, encourager, and tenacious problem solver determined to help you transform your house into a home. I have an entire post devoted to it that you can see here: Faux Driftwood Finish on Latex Paint. We just had bead board installed and stained in our tray ceiling inserts in our hallway. You have to rub hard and give a little elbow to it. Dark Stained Wood Trim for Linking the White Door with the Wooden Windows. Double Sliding Barn Door Joy. It was some I had left over in the cabinet outside. Do I still Need To Prime? This door was once in the LaSalle Hotel in Bryan, Tx before it was renovated, which means it is at least 100 years old. For each of the colors listed, you will need to get a half-pint sample size of paint. Clear Mixing Glaze Ive tried other glazes and this one cant be beaten: My Favorite Clear Mixing GlazeYou can usually find it at Lowes. Debbie Manno (Debbiedoo's) is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to (Debbiedoo's) (amazon.com). That turned out beautifully, Debbie! Your doors look amazing. Thanks Sarah! This will help the paint adhere better and give the door an authentic distressed look. The stain will not dry right. Also adding some wood corbels for architectural interest. The door looks so nice Debbie. Before you start, make sure to protect your door hardware with painters tape, or to remove it. The water-based paint and glaze mixture gives you a lot more control and is more forgiving if you mess up. Below are 16 DIY tutorials by bloggers demonstrating different ways to transform your doors. Next, we will take off sections of our door to give the same look of a real hardwood door that has been constructed out of different pieces of wood. 1. Making pine look like oak (Stain) - houzz.com Do not paint from side to side. I love that rustic look. Staining a Fiberglass Door - The Practical House Painting Guide I love to hear your thoughts and questions! When I applied the Zar Wood Stain, the process in the video worked just as they . (112) Write a review. When staining the pine doors, be sure they are sanded to fresh wood. I usually start with 1 Part equaling 2 TBS and you can always mix up more later. Your email address will not be published. It turned out great. To make each glaze layer you will mix its paint color, water and the clear mixing glaze as I describe in step 4. I wanted it to mirror the wood floors below. Theres a product on the market that is used to paint doors to look like wood called Giani. Watch How I Make My Cheap Builder Grade Doors Look Like Wood Doors Pottery Barns Mahogany (click here to get an idea), Easy Restoration Hardware Finish with Paint, How to Paint A Door To Look Like Wood, Video Tutorial, How to Spray Paint Door Knobs So They Outlast The House. You can also use one and store it in a baggie in your frig until you do the next coat. Did you go lighter then darker? Thank you? Seal The Door To Protect The Faux Wood Finish. Can You Use Wood Stain on a Metal Door? Use it as a white wash stain. This is a great stain shade if you want a more weathered look to match rustic farmhouse or coastal decor. Then at the end you mention Harvest for the glaze, tho you had already said wed only need 3 color samples. So many of my DIY projects remind me of Gods capacity to transform our brokenness and renew our hearts. Check out my post on refinishing an exterior door with gel stain for all of the info youll need. You can use any latex paint as long as it is color-matched to those colors but the glaze is only sold at Lowes. Plus, it takes the wear and tears that my boys tend to give everything around here. Measure inside of the window vertically and cut trim accordingly. Allow 24 to 48 hours for the stain to dry completely. You can also use sandpaper and sand by hand. How to Make New Wood Look Old - Family Handyman I am not sure about that Becky. I am wanting to take my white kitchen cabinets back to an 80s oak look. You may be interested in an ad-free, printable version of this faux wood painting technique. Check it out in my shop! Make the most of your kitchen's existing storage space by installing a pull-out shelf in oneor allof the base cabinets. How Do You Make A Metal Garage Door Look Like Wood? When that dries, we will brush on the second glaze layer which acts as a wood grain finish coat. The next morning I went over it with my color choice of stain with just a rag. Supplies to purchase for the project: (Affiliate links). To protect your door and keep it looking like wood, youll need to seal it with a topcoat. Join 30,000 other DIYers by subscribing to the weekly newsletter and you will also get instant access to dozens of freebies. of books or knickknacks. Before we get to the good stuff and how to really achieve a convincing faux wood finish, I HAVE to show you how badly I messed this up the first time around. I was trying to get a wood finish with orange undertones . Is there a reason you went over the gel stain with regular stain? I would recommend however, giving everything a light sanding before you start. My question is which stain did you use first? How Do You Paint A Garage Door to Look Like Wood? One of the best ways to bring warmth to a bedroom or living room is to pair your white door's white wooden trim with blue skirting. Did you do it while the gel was still somewhat wet? I love it so much I really want to do the bathroom cabinets which are a moss green I just dont know if I have to repaint or if I can leave the green and just use the gel.. Can u post a pic of ur metal door. 2 Pressure wash your garage door. How To Paint a Door to Look Like Wood {7 Shade Options & Video Guide!} However, you can also do a natural wood finish (raw-bleached finish), and Restoration Hardware finish but youll also want to refer to those tutorials because the glazing process is slightly different. For the last time, tape your vertical sections being sure to leave a visible paint line along the edges of the last sections you painted. I completed a project in which I painted some off white kitchen cabinets to look like a dark wood grain. If your primer doesnt provide full coverage of your door and you can see some streaks, dont worry about adding a second coat. Place it across two sawhorses. Maybe your salvaged wood already has some paint, if not add a quick coat of whatever color you like and then sand it off using a rough grit sandpaper. Start with your basic supplies. 10 Ways to Redo Kitchen Cabinets Without Replacing Them - This Old House This color combination will make the interior cozy and comfortable. I find painting furniture much more tedious lol. Noting that I can download, modify, distribute, and use them royalty free for anything I like, even in commercial applications. For more images of the driftwood finish, click here: Easy Driftwood Finish with Latex Paint. Step 3. The shade Im using is Rustic Mahagony so Flaxseed is my base shade. So, when you see this verse, dont shrink back in faith doubting the truth of this promise. Since this is a metal door that has no grain, Im usually brushing length-wise as you can see in the video. Because of the additional step, get a sample size container of Sherwin Williams Pure White or just use any white/cream latex paint you have on hand. Be sure to watch the video for this section and if you have trouble seeing it in this post, you can see here: How To Paint A Door To Look Like Wood, YouTube. To see how the traditional faux stain options look on furniture pieces, you can see this post: How to Make Paint Look Like Stain. When painting a door, I like to paint the panels first and then move to the flat surfaces, always brushing in the direction of the grain. This will keep it wet. Roll of Painters Tape This tape seems far superior to other painters tapes on the market and you can find it on Amazon here: Yellow Painters Tape, Paint Brushes These are my favorite low cost brushes and you can get them on Amazon here: Presa Paint Brush Set, 6 Roller and Paint Tray (Optional) I like applying my base coat with a roller and then back brushing it with a brush because it gets the paint on the door faster. The primer is an insurance policy that our paint will always stick to the door without cracking or peeling. *. Your email address will not be published. Wondering if this would work? How to Paint Laminate Cabinets to Look Like Wood For example, if your garage door is a dark stain and you are faux painting your front door, paint the door Dark Walnut to better match your garage door. Also, be sure to avoid direct sun while painting your garage door. I also grant ZERO permission to use one or any of my photos/printables or any other content here within my website for features or "round ups" without prior permission. As shown in the video, brush on the first glaze mixture until you get full coverage on the surface or taped area. Sign Up Here to Grab my 31 Best DIY Hacks to transform your home on a budget! painted door !! Your email address will not be published. Worm Holes. Once all your horizontal sections are taped, do the full glazing process on each section but make sure to brush left to right this time. You want it to look rustic I assume. Use a center punch and a hammer to drive out the hinge pins, then lay the door across padded sawhorses. Consider upgrading your garage door. This step is all about teaching you how to glaze each section and on the next step, we will tape off and glaze different sections of the door. Can you believe this? It was embarrassing to even close the door for anyone passing by to see. Ha! You can get it here on Amazon: Tacklife Sander For tips on sanding, read my post here: How to Sand in Less Than 5 Minutes. Read more here. Want to upgrade an ugly metal or fiberglass door? Do the entire glazing process (above) to just the paneled areas going up and down. Beautiful, Debbie! Wonderful info here, however Im wondering if Im not understanding correctly about the directions on the Mahogany door. When you are done, post the before and after pics on Instagram and tag me @renovatedfaith! I share all things, thrifty home decor, crafts, and a recipe or two on occasion. Printables & Images Policy: Please do not use my printables for anything that is sold or alter them in any way. I dont want to steer you in the wrong direction on such a big project. Mix or shake your paint. I refinished my door in a vertical position so I could get better video shots but it is easier to refinish horizontally on a table. Just dont paint your front door in Brown Oak if your garage door looks closest to Rustic Mahogony. You wont have to worry about this the first time with the panels but will with the horizontal and vertical sections. Two coats of GEL stain first and let completely dry over night. You will tape each section of the garage door as if it is a regular door on its side. Can You Paint A Fiberglass Door to Look Like Wood? I can be reached at [emailprotected]. Exactly what I was planning for 2 doors in the laundry room but was unsure of where to begin. On my Wire Shelving Hack, I used the raw wood finish on each shelf and thought I could just have the primer tinted to the base coat color. [6] Before you start treating the wood, use rags and a heavy duty degreaser to clean the doors. Hey Annette, Dont sand between the clear coat layers. Since youre going for a tone-on-tone wood look, the base layer doesnt need to be totally solid color do you know what I mean? BASE COAT: Valspar Coastal Villa This is a Valspar color but you can also get it in a SW sample. For exterior doors and garage doors, I recommend this one: Varathanes Waterbased Spar Urethane. It should work just the same. Thanks so much for stopping over today. I will show you how I did this in a rectangle part of the door. I started by applying a coat of gel stain in a rectangle with my stain pad, and I got into the corners with the artist brush., Then, I took the 3 inch chip brush, and I gently ran it over the flat part of the rectangle, from bottom to top, to remove some of the gel stain and to add a woodgrain pattern to the door., I varied how I moved the brush: in some rectangles it was straight down to up, and in others I did a little bit of a curve as you see in woodgrain sometimes., I did this apply gel stain and then remove some of it process all across the door. I used thick card stock at the edges of each row or column to create a barrier between the edges of each section, since the woodgrain travels in different directions in these different pieces. This made the junctions crisp, just like a regular wood door.. The door required two good coats of the gel stain. Be sure to use Zinsser Bullseye 123 Primer (Water-based) if you are working on a garage door. You can either brush it on or roller it on and then brush out the roll marks in the direction of the grain. Thank you so much for your encouragement and kind words! Now, wipe any excess glaze mixture off your brush with a paper towel. Better yet, an epoxy coating. For my exterior door, I used an oil-based primer called Zinsser Cover Stain. I dont blame you Amy! Designed by Treeium, a remodeling company based in Southern California, this type of garage door is a popular style for contemporary homes. I like to get the sample size containers of Sherwin Williams paint. Scroll down to leave a comment and I WILL reply! Or do you think putting gel stain on will cover it? If you are wondering how to paint a door to look like stained wood with a more traditional grain, one of these options is for you. I would say yes, but it keep in mind it will take a while to dry. On each of your last glaze passes, you can brush over just these areas vertically. I would do a very small test first though. Yours looks wonderful! Repeat with another 1-2 layers if you want it to look more white.