Besides the regional network which is served only by Trenitalia trains, there are also the Circumetnea train, a local line which connects the towns around Mt. The train along the northern coast between Palermo and Messina is notoriously delayed, and perhaps over an hour delayed at times. Welcome to (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? (Pictured: The duomo of Cefal, one of the UNESCO sites of the Arab-Norman Patrimony of Sicily.) From gentle Tuscan jaunts to mountain adventures, Italy was made for road tripping. And Modica is the 'town of sweets' - tell them (it's holiday time - a little corruption is okay). Do not feel an obligation to rent a car as those arrangements together with road and travel regulations can be a nuisance for the people not initiated for handling such a task in so much of Sicily. Overnight ferries offer cabins for an extra cost. Most flights serving Sicily use the airports in Palermo and Catania. Sicily Transportation - iExplore Continue to the checkout and book your tickets. Sicilys offshore islands are served by traghetti (ferries) and aliscafi (hydrofoils). Enter your departure and arrival stations of choice into either our App or Journey Planner at the top of the page. Are trains in Sicily reliable? 16 What is the nicest beach in Italy? The Sicilian railway network is 1,369 km long and covers the nine provinces of the island, including the train connections between Palermo airport and the city centre. I see many posts and websites saying that buses are usually more reliable (i.e. My question is, how often do trains actually get. Don't rely too much on trains, in particular when you want to go from Palermo or Cefal to Taormina and Catania. The idea for the project had come to me several months earlier when, on a holiday with my partner, Id traveled by train on the slopes around Sicilys famous and famously active volcano, Mount Etna. Discounts are often available on fast trains for advance purchases, same-day return, or for groups of three or more. Trains on these routes are fast and comfortable. Alternatively, you may use. You depart Palermo at 9.30 am and arrive in Acireale at 11.15 am, with a change in Ficarazzi, which is a suburb of Palermo. You might also like:15 things you cannot miss on your next trip to SicilyThe most scenic road trips in Sicily: volcanoes, baroque beauty and fabulous foodWhy Sicily is a year-round destination. Try Siculish for great pizza and excellent friendly service. No, there is no high-speed train operating in Sicily at the moment. There are plenty ofpublic transport options in Sicily,so it's easy enough to get around. I was pacing impatiently in my hotel room on the Via Etnea, one of the main boulevards in the center of Catania. We are now in 120+ Destinations and Growing. Are they reliable in Siciliy? But generally, buses are preferred when delays are coupled with train stations inconveniently located in towns, or train stations even located outside towns requiring a bus to the station, possible malfunctioning air-conditioning, and no Sunday service. Yes, we could occasionally change to buses. Train tickets in Europe - Search & Book on Rail Europe Sicily Travel and Transport | Italy Heaven They can be late by 30 minutes every now and then, but longer delays (> 1 hour) is unusual. For some people a 20 minute walk is a trek, for others, an hour's walk is entirely normal. But generally, buses are preferred when . Clockwise or counterclockwise Whats the best way to navigate Sicily? Answer 1 of 16: Hi, I will visit Sicily very soon. In 2020, punctuality for long-distance trains was 88.6% and commuter train punctuality was 96.6%. Deciding whether to begin in a large city or a resort town is only one aspect of what to consider. How long is the train from Sorrento to Sicily? - 2023 13 Is English widely spoken in Sicily? The graveyard in Ragusa on All Saints Day. Tips for renting a car:Major international car rental firms can be found at airports, city centers, and tourist areas. 2023 My Guide. Only ever had one cancellation and one delay. With its awesome art, architecture and food, Italy has more sights than you could see in a lifetime. However, depending on when you intend to travel, Trenitalia isn't running trains service between (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Catania to Siracusa - Bus or private transport. Larger ferries to/from the mainland and the islands carry vehicles. - 5 days in Palermo (day trips using trains or bus), then on to Enna (maybe bus for this leg); - Enna 2 nights, just for the sheer pleasure of the views. One of the world's most revered cuisines, Italian food is a handy umbrella term for the country's cache of regional cuisines. Help! Sicily by train, Italy - Tickets & Travel Tips | ItaliaRail Tickets for Frecce trains, the high-speed trains that run between Italy's major cities, can usually be bought within four months of your travel date. Buses offer faster, more direct service on certain intercity routes where train connections are inconvenient, such as Catania to Agrigento, Syracuse to Palermo, or Palermo to Trapani. Train onto a ferry is definitely a unique experience. But which would be more hassle free, say, for the connections between towns that you list above? I guess what Im askIng for is commentary on the feasibility of my plan, given that we dont mind spending half a day on a train watching the world go by. Be satisfied with those parts of Sicily you can reach for this visit. It was a train with only two or three cars and was unique. Members who are extremely knowledgeable about this destination and answer travellers questions frequently. However, depending on when you intend to travel, Trenitalia isn't running trains service between Catania and Siracusa this summer, and instead running a replacement bus service. One rail route in Sicily that holds promise as a sightseeing journey and a step back in time is the Ragusa-Syracuse route, which takes approximately 2 hours one way. My train from (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Laughing at my bad luck, I lingered for another day in Ragusa, a beautiful place, spending much of the day in a stunning cemetery on the northern edge of town. . 135 miles (3 hrs by car). It's also useful to arrive at the station well in advance so as to coordinate any assistance needed getting on the train (accessibilityvaries widely across the Sicilian train network and trains). Travelling Naples main train station to isle of capri Trainslink major towns in Sicily. Taking the Train in Sicily - An American in Rome ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-116346901', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Palermo and Enna to arrive at the top where our accommodation is. Palermo airport to Cefalu & how long in Palermo, Older couple spending 3 nights in Palermo in November. Standard Italian sleeping-car on the Milan-Sicily train, with 12 compartments, each configurable as 1st class Single, 1st class Double or 2nd class 3-berth. I made my way back to the station and, soon enough, a big travel bus pulled up in front. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-75516737', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Sicilys northern coast, travel between Messina/Taormina/Catania/Siracusa, travel from Palermo to Agrigento, travel from Trapani to Marsala and Castelvetrano, and travel between Ragusa and Gela, buses are much preferred in Sicily. Otherwise, the schedule and travel time of trains do look more preferable for some of the routes I am planning. Sicily adventure by train. How to get to Scopello - Sicily Message Board - Tripadvisor To travel by bus or train, you'd have to purchase a ticket before travelling, which must be stamped in the machine when boarding. Etna. Places in Sicily You Can Travel By Train. There are trains about every 2-3 hours (or 5-6 a day). In the evening just hop onto a local bus back to your resort. Check schedules and compare fares at Ferryhopper. Get answers to your questions about Sicily, resources for planning small group travel, Recommendations day trips - staying in Trapani, Which beach should we go to in/nr Taormina. 18 Is there a train from mainland Italy to Sicily? Sicilys major bus companies cover most destinations: They are:AST (Azienda Siciliana Trasporti);Interbus;SAIS Autolinee;SAIS Trasporti; andSalemi. A few lines run InterCity trains. - Train to Comiso (1 change) 1 night only, hotel near station allowing for a quick exploration in the morning. Everyone seems to hire a car, and all the advice seems to be against the use of public transport, especially trains. However, depending on when you intend to travel, Trenitalia isn't running trains service between (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Last train: 20:51. are trains in sicily reliable - cafeteria-trip.com Start an interesting journey through time and discover the architectural beauties that come from the combination of different populations and cultures. Dreaming up a future getaway or just armchair traveling? Giuseppe Mandolfo, one of my few fellow passengers, told me that he takes the train five days a week to complete his studies at the police academy. However, having your own wheels on the island does come with certain headaches, not the least of which are the carefree attitudes locally about traffic rules. At least with a car you have somewhere to put your bags (albeit usually not recommended), but with a train you are more or less stuck with carrying it everywhere. My question is, how often do trains actually get delayed? ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-116345097', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');cars because a lot of people are used to driving absolutely everywhere all the time. My wife and I are comfortable with both modes of transportation (driving ourselves or taking the bus). I just came back home. From Palermo airport you can arrive at Central station in 40/50 min with taxi sharing (7euro), bus (6 euro) or train (inside airport). more than 30 min) quite often (e.g. Theres no right or wrong way, but there are many factors to consider when determining your approach to navigating Sicily. Same could happen from Messina to Syracuse, being stuck in Catania. Disabled assistance at stations, including for people in wheelchairs, is provided by Sala Blu, a branch of the state railway company. I know trains arent for everyone (although Im at a loss to understand why ). ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-75515838', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Sicily and that train delays happen more often. Palermo, Messina and Catania are the main station hubs you can easily reach the rest of the region from there. timely) than trains when traveling between cities in Sicily and that train delays happen more often. Places in Sicily You Can Travel By Train. Travel by EuroCity (EC) train direct to Milan from the Swiss cities of Bern (3hr), Geneva (4hr) and Zurich (3hr 30min). Etna (from Catania to Giarre . Feeling slightly uncomfortable around them, I struck up a conversation with Giancarlo Zaccaria, a machinist with the train company. Reservations are not necessary, but buying a ticket in advance can ease time-sensitive journeys such as those to an airport. In western Sicily, blessed with pleasant weather, my trip took a more predictable turn. It is possible to book wheelchair-accessible cabs with some taxi companies specify this when you call to book in advance. Here are Europes best hot springs. Only children under the age of 4 can travel for free on trains in Sicily. Please check for tariffs here, Ericeand Trapani are connected by cable car - a great and panoramic solution to visit charming Erice. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-76077319', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Taormina to Catania arrived about 10 minutes late but arrived Catania on time. And if you want to continue your journey immersed in nature, you cant miss Gole dellAlcantara, the cliffs that formed after lava flows cooled in the icy water of river Alcantara. Taormina town is reachable from Mazzar (Taormina Mare) in 5 minutes by cable car. Ragusa Ibla was terrific too, Il Bettola was a good restaurant there. How reliable are trains in sicily? - Sicily Forum - Tripadvisor As I traveled with Trenoitalia at North Italy, they look reliable. Thanks so much for sharing your expertise, Vagabonda! what time does elementary school start in las vegas; are trains in sicily reliable. But if you have looked and the trains and they work for you then there is no reason to rent a car. Traveling by Train in Sicily - Italian Connection 17 Is there a beach in Portofino? I cant remember.) Trains & Subways in Sicily. He steered the bus with impressive agility through flooded streets and curved alleys to reach the town of Rosolini. The train along the northern coast between (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? 14 Is there a bridge from Italy to Sicily? We plan to start and end in Palermo. To narrow it down, here are Italy's top experiences. Train services are not plentiful or in abundance in many locations . If you book a taxi by phone, you will be charged for the trip the driver makes to reach you. Check out this and many more places with a train to Siracusa. For example, Michael Portillo visited Gangi by train - but the nearest train station to Gangi is about an hour's drive away! Siicily trains - Sicily Forum - Tripadvisor Some night trains and daytime fast trains serving the lines to Palermo and Syracuse use the train ferry at Messina to link up to the rail network on the mainland. 14 How long is train ride in Sicily? The average journey time by train between Catania Centrale and Taormina-Giardini is around 49 minutes, covering a distance of 41 km. Buses are more reliable than trains in Sicily. Immediately after he told me this, the train screeched to a halt. Clockwise or counterclockwise Whats the best way to navigate Sicily? A Dutch photographer, documenting the culture of regional train travel, managed to get around the Italian island for less than $100. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-76077865', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Palermo and Messina is notoriously delayed, and perhaps over an hour delayed at times. All rights reserved. Trenitalia Intercity also services this route twice daily. About three and half hours later you will arrive in Catania. A car is the best way to explore Sicilys countryside, remote hill towns, seaside archeological sites and much more. Renting a Car in Sicily in 2023 - Tips & Advice Straight From Italy Drivers can be aggressive and/or sloppy in their driving habits. But note that some discounted and advance tickets . Take in the beauty of Palermo Cathedral and its Islamic ornaments, beautiful portico in Gothic-Catalan style and neoclassical green dome. 17 What is the prettiest . When we visited Sicily the average price we paid for diesel was around EUR 1.55-1.60 a liter, compared to EUR 1.75-1.85 for petrol. Contact them in advance for assistance. However the hold is dark and boring, so if you have someone reliable to keep an eye on your luggage during the ferry crossing, it's worth leaving the carriage and making your . However, are you absolutely adamant it has to be train? ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-116349103', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Palermo by bus, but when we left, we took the train from Ragusa to Noto (which may be along one of the legs you mentioned). Are you looking for train times for regional trains in Sicily? View all countries. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-116350488', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Rome to Siracusa and then a few days later from Siracusa to Bari. A delay of 10-15 minutes is acceptable. To use our mobile site, please enable JavaScript. How long does it take to get from Rome to Sicily by train? To make the most of day 2 of your 10-day Sicily itinerary, I recommend getting up early and heading to the Monreale Cathedral.It's about 30 minutes from the center of Palermo by car, and it's one of the island's most famous cathedrals, as well as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. But, I meant that with the exception of travel to Cefal on (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Would we be able to change to bus transport if necessary? This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. A delay of 10-15 minutes is acceptable. Trains. Theres also an array of supplementary charges for night-time/Sunday rides, to/from the airport, extra luggage, etc.