Next to it is the Goodly Garden. During the 1850s Thornbury Castle underwent it first major renovation. Replete with battlements, secret doors and romantic ruins, Thornbuy is everyone's fantasy of how a castle should look. The Outer Court now stands as ruins of what probably never was. Join your fellow guests at midday, and enjoy a pre-lunch Champagne drinks reception by the Christmas tree with live music, followed by a four-course Christmas lunch with all the trimmings. It was edible but not appetizing. The dessert cakes were OK. Despite this request nothing changed - and we noticed as we were leaving the room so they could lay up for dinner that extra heaters were being brought into the room. They were however quick to pour the champagne. Highly recommeneded. I agree to receive messages from Relais & Chteaux in order to benefit from exclusive offers and invitations from Relais & Chteaux and its few partner brands, as well as personalized contents in view of my next stays. Breakfast was served in the dining room and included a pink grapefruit juice always one of my markers for breakfast. Does this restaurant offer table service? Four finger sandwiches and some cakes, with one pot of tea in a cold room is not enough value. I was disappointed by the sparse quantities of sandwiches. To sum up- Thank you all for your expertise in ensuring we enjoyed a truly delightful stay !More, 4 finger sandwiches! Thornbury Castle would be the ideal setting for some Tudor Murder Mystery game. or Thornbury, Gloucestershire 20 languages Thornbury is a market town and civil parish in the South Gloucestershire unitary authority area of England, about 12 mi (19 km) north of Bristol. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. Both my husband and I were casually dressed as we were touring around the countryside. Hope this helps. The food was excellent. of staff without exception are focussed on being polite, helpful, smiling and obviously keen to make your visit very memorable are not easy to come by in these post covid days. When this was pointed out, our waitress explained the bread is stored in the fridge. UK. We are the only Tudor castle which operates as a hotel, with a team that are passionate about creating magical and memorable memories for all our guests.. The food was average. Unfortunately the room was cold. We were taken to the coldest, furthest room that had no lit fire until we were about to leave. Remarkably peaceful, the hotel provides the perfect tableau to the lush countryside of the Severn Valley. I have debated writing this review for a number of reasons. This once-royal residence resonates with history, creating the perfect atmosphere to enjoy a seasonal break to remember. The first included reroofing the North Wing was completed in 1997. As the UK's biggest experience day retailer, we can negotiate the best prices for you. Highly recommeneded. Obviously pre-prepared underwhelming, sandwiches looked & tasted as though theyd been under cling film & in the fridge too long. When we returned I asked if a tray of tea and coffee could be sent up to our room. Call our concierge to tailormade your booking and itinerary, A true escape from the everyday. Buckinghams windows are larger and more ornate than his those of the Duchess below did I mention he was vane? Review tags are currently only available for English language reviews. It does not store any personal data. However, you may visit "Cookie Settings" to provide a controlled consent. Castle St, Thornbury Hospitality is in our heritage, meaning yourself and your guests will enjoy an unforgettable experience, both on the palate and in our historic surroundings. If I'd of paid for it which I think is about 65I wouldn't have been very happy! Immerse yourself in wonderful British cuisine at this place. > Relax in four poster beds, explore the gardens & dine in a 2AA rosette restaurant. We were given four finger sandwiches each, Smoked salmon and horseradish, beef and horseradish, roast chicken and tarragon mayonnaise, ham and mustard. > He called it his favorite place we stayed on the entire trip. This is where people lived. Celebrate that most special of days in a way that all great love stories should be; with the grandest of romantic gestures amidst the grandeur of the castle and the most personal of memories made, surrounded by jubilant loved ones. As my friend pointed out, Chef was not eating the sandwiches, we were & they certainly were not fresh. Mosley tribes Lyndel . He loves walking, eating, beer, isolation and arthouse movies, as well as talking to strangers on planes, buses and trains. Bell sold it to Maurice Taylor in 1986. I wouldnt rush back, i do not think my experience was good value for money. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Children over the age of 8 years are welcome to share a room with 2 adults. The drive into the grounds, finds you in an unkempt garden area with a slab of concrete for parking. We will be offering room service for any guests who would feel more comfortable dining in their rooms. We had the tasting menu and my husband had the wine flight. When this was pointed out, our waitress explained the bread is stored in the fridge. What we found extremely disappointing, no appalling, was the welcome. There were many highlights- the halibut, cod and stone bass were amazingly fresh, and the Loch Duart salmon with lime, mousse, caviar and shellfish bisque was particularly memorable. It is full of history, clean and comfortable. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". Previously there had been a medieval manor house at Thornbury. Have nothing but praise for this hotel and would reccomend to anyone looking for a special night away in a quiet, quaint and quintessential setting. Privacy was not a feature associated with Tudor castles. Thornbury Castle, Thornbury: See 513 unbiased reviews of Thornbury Castle, rated 4 of 5 on Tripadvisor and ranked #9 of 32 restaurants in Thornbury. +44 (0) 1454 281 182 We asked if we could speak to the chef, which with much surprise he served us our dessert, we had a short conversation with carl and what a passionate and driven chef he is and in our experience his cooking is better than some of the Michelin starred restaurants we have eaten in. Thornbury Castle Thornbury Castle is a member of Relais & Chteaux. The castle reopened on 17 May 2021, 500 years to the day after the execution of Buckingham. I would go for smart casual personally, Smart Casual as far as I am aware but I've only ever had lunch or afternoon tea there. I have had better afternoon teas in small local cafes. Most of the building was left to fall to ruin, so much so that Thornbury became something of a tourist attraction, as a ruined castle close enough to the spa town of Bath and Bristol to draw visitors. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. In a typical year, diners submit over 50,000 reviews to create the most authoritative restaurant guide in the UK. Castle Hotel in Bristol - Thornbury Castle Play full video Our Castle Pass through the gateway and find, beyond those striking stone walls, a true escape from the everyday; a luxurious Relais & Chteaux retreat that channels 1520s grandeur and 2020s splendour all at once. Supplements apply to larger bedroom categories and childrens rates are applicable during the Christmas package only. The food was passable, but the service, and location were not worth the cost. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. The castle is in the town of Thornbury, 12 miles to the north of Bristol. It is an enchanting setting, that can be savoured in the four dining rooms of Thornbury Castles gourmet restaurant, where the focus is on creative cuisine that celebrates the essentials. After dinner, those guests who wish to attend a Christmas church service may walk next door to St. Marys Church for the Midnight Eucharist; alternatively to the Roman Catholic Church of Christ the King, situated further towards Thornbury town centre. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. IMAGINE IF EVERYTHING WAS EXACTLY HOW YOU LIKE IT: ALWAYS BE EXPECTED, Copyright 2000 - 2023 Relais & Chteaux. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. Rates from 389 per couple per night in a Deluxe bedchamber, Sunday to Thursday. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". The dinner, though good, was also very expensive. Thoroughly enjoyed a Special Evening.Food was interesting and delicious together with a Wine flight. A great atmosphere in a building with so much history. However, we were very disappointed when served sandwiches which were not quite as fresh as one would expect. Note: your question will be posted publicly on the Questions & Answers page. [1] A true journey to another era. Can the restaurants accommodate a gluten free diet? (Table reservations on Christmas Eve, for Christmas Day lunch and Boxing Day evening, are essential). 2 May 2017 | I suspect the main door to the hotel had been left open. No one came back to offer more throughout our eating experience. We waited an age for the food. There was a selection of cakes and pastries, ginger cake, tiny meringues, a rhubarb ball in toasted coconut (which looked like a scotch egg) and tiny meringues and a fruit tartlet. over a year ago Answer 7 answers Reviewed this restaurant Our bill came to 77 -7 was an added service charge which, under the circumstances, I felt needed to be deducted. A few cakes size of marshmallows small plain scone and fruit scone and a choice of tea or coffee! But I definalely recommend it, its an amazing and beautiful place to stay. I hope this helps. This will be served from 12.30 pm until 2 pm at your pre-reserved times. Beginning at 3.30 pm, embark on the Tudor Quest the search for a mysteriously lost jewel The heart of Jasper Tudor, believed to be hidden in the castle grounds. There were many highlights- the halibut, cod and stone bass were amazingly fresh, and the Loch Duart salmon with lime, mousse, caviar and shellfish bisque was particularly memorable. We went back to the longe for coffee and chocolates. Today, our talented team is led by Executive Chef, Carl Cleghorn, and Food & Beverage Manager, Frederic Bellard, who both have a wealth of knowledge and experience, and are proud to offer our guests a wide range of delicious and impressive menus to suit all occasions. > My bedchamber was in the West Wing. Before setting up Travel Begins at 40, Mark was the publisher of AsiaLIFE Cambodia and a freelance travel writer. However, we were very disappointed when served sandwiches which were not quite as fresh as one would expect. With spaces that are impressive as well as intimate, we can cater for everything from private dining to grand-scale celebrations. The food was passable, but the service, and location were not worth the cost. Our reviews are based on an annual survey of ordinary diners which runs in Spring each year. Food was excellent and served to a very high standard. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. Available for private dining and venue hire, Thornbury Castle is an impressive and atmospheric setting for special events.The castles distinctive architecture forms an ideal backdrop to celebrations of any size. more. Thank you so much Carl for the wonderful gastronomic experience- may your well deserved Michelin Star arrive any day soon ! As our stay unfolded the room became very cold. Customer service was fantasticand looked after well by all the staff.More, Had afternoon tea here in the summer just me and a friend and since then we have had other afternoon teas all over somerset. Before we left we took advantage of the Castle History Tour and Jane from the local Museum took us into rooms we hadn't seen and around the gardens explaining the Castle's colourful past- a brilliant add on experience. Gloucestershire, BS35 1HH My wife has arthritis and she was a little apprehensive that it might be cold (with so much stonework), but it was beautifully warm throughout our visit. We were shown to a small room where we were the only customers apart from one other table that became occupied shortly after our arrival. This is far more than was legally allowed by Henry as retainers. The castle is breathtaking along with the gardens outside. Unique in the world: I have stayed in some pretty strange and amazing places in my time as a travel writer, including a jail in Laos, but never before have I slept in a bedchamber let alone one in a Tudor Castle. Flights Holiday Rentals Restaurants Things to do . I have had better afternoon teas in small local cafes. My son had on jeans/t-shirt when we arrived and he changed into khakis and buttoned shirt. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. We decided this was the best afternoon tea we had all year. I'm afraid this was clearly not the case as they were still quite dry on one side & cold which suggested Chef had not just made them and they were from the original batch which was stored in the fridge. Map updates are paused. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Very upset that we chose this venue for our treat.More. document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute("id","a65b7cb41003b0da9e31cba13927e15f");document.getElementById("b5251f24dc").setAttribute("id","comment"); They say that life begins at forty, so too can travel. Save. The secret of course is in the training and it was very obvious that these staff were of the highest standard- very polite, smiling, knowledgeable, courteous and clearly loved the Castle and wanted us to as well. We were not having a free tea, we were very well dressed and were not rude. Thornbury Castle is rated accordingly in the following categories by Tripadvisor travellers: Thornbury Castle Castle Street, Thornbury BS35 1HH England. Relax and unwind before you head downstairs to enjoy a fabulous three-coursea la carte dinnerinour atmosphericrestaurant. This is the best place to see the magnificent oriel windows, that are reckoned to be finest domestic Tudor windows in England. So it is with some relief that I found myself checked into the Catherine Parr bedchamber after all wasnt she the one that survived? Also see the editors review of Thornbury Castle restaurant. For that most extravagant of afternoon treats, our Full Afternoon Tea and Champagne Afternoon Teas can be taken in either our dining rooms or in our lounge areas. Dignitaries from the city would come and visit while Henry wined and dined, and no doubt went hunting in the three nearby deer parks. And wow what an incredible three day stay, the food an incredible every night and well crafted and just flavour after flavour. Each are deluxe rooms and are very expensive, so we could only afford one night. In-room dining menus can be found in our guest directory which can be found in each bedchamber. Sadly, there were no kippers, but the poached eggs for the salmon Benedict were cooked to perfection. The afternoon tea was great but we had atour too and looked round the gardens all the staff were lovely. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". Thornbury Castle is located just under 15 miles north of Bristol. Protected only on one side, built right next to a church where archers could pick off their prey at will from the tower, and with Outer Walls insufficiently thick to withstand fire from its own canons, Thornbury was not designed to withstand an assault. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Enjoy a traditional afternoon tea served by the fire in the lounge or in the restaurant between 1 pm and 3 pm. Best Afternoon tea top afternoon tea ive had in the whole of somerset. When my husband said "No, we're checking in." Add the extremely poor service and I would advise anyone to go elsewhere. find your country number. find your country number Hotels with Complimentary Breakfast in Thornbury, British Restaurants for Families in Thornbury, British Restaurants for Lunch in Thornbury, Restaurants with Outdoor Seating in Thornbury. Buckingham was the second richest person in the country. Overall not a good experience and I would not recommend. Are you sure you want to delete this question? The setting is spectacular, even better since the recent refurbishment. The castle is breathtaking along with the gardens outside. We werent sure if they meant a gift voucher or another voucher scheme. After walking along the Herefordshire Trail, Mark Bibby Jackson checks into Thornbury Castle hotel, close to Bristol, following in the footsteps of Henry VIII. Taking formal afternoon tea has become a hobby of mine. A lovely way to round off our bank holiday weekend. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Barely any filling at all. FIND OUT MORE Virtual Tour Our Bedchambers Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. They were keen for us to leave and took our drinks to a beautiful communal lounge that had considerable luxury and ambiance with an open fire , It was a far cry from the pokey uninviting room we had experienced.