Best price guaranteed. At only 39 km from Barcelona, this town is fully surrounded by nature and has a charming historic quarter. (The trip from Granada to Barcelona concerns me, as I don't want to lose a day on trains.). Probably the most photogenic building in Porto, the Chapel of Souls sits in the middle of the main shopping street. Theres also a puppet theatre that still holds shows, great for kids and adults. Step on this historic lift, which takes you from the Baixa neighbourhood to Bairro Alto. It has an overall bohemian vibe and used to be a meeting point for poets and artists at the end of the 19th century. Good luck! Porto is a beautiful vibrant city set on the banks of the Douro River. Answered: We are a family of 5 (children ages 23, 22 and 15) traveling to Spain and Portugal in mid-June. A 3-day Lisbon itinerary is the right amount of time to explore the city itself and take a road trip to one of the nearby cities. I'll be at hostels over Xmas/NYE so I'm hoping it should be fine socially (usually is). At night possibility to attend the procession of the candles. Chiado is elegant and bohemian, with gorgeous cafes and theatres, whilst Bairro Alto is famous for its great fado restaurants and graffiti art. Start your second day in Barcelona at Casa Batll, another famous Gaudi masterpiece built between 1904 and 1906. Consider an open jaw air ticket flying into either Madrid or Lisbon then flying out the other. It requires a car for the first 18 days as we travel through the country exploring the many cities and towns. Still in the City but to the West of the historic center is the Belam neighborhood. However, flights bring problems, from having to turn up early to possibly losing your luggage to missing out on all the landscapes and smaller places between the big cities. Designed as a court town, only servants from the Royal household could reside in the town. Best of all, they sit next to each other, so you can easily create an amazing Spain and Portugal itinerary and see all the best places in one trip. And a beautiful one it is too. Free time and continue to the Ria de Arosa, passing through Pontevedra to arrive to Vigo, situated in the middle of the Rias Baixas. As soon as you arrive, head to the city centre to discover one of its most famous sites. In addition to the monuments, Segovia offers an old Jewish quarter, stately homes, outstanding views and a green belt. So, if you are not sure where to start, heres a complete guide, including the best cities to visit, top hotels and restaurants, as well as some ideas for day trips in case you have extra time. Stop by the Lisbon Cathedral to see where St Anthony was baptised. On the orders of the Emir Abd al-Rahman in 784, the church was destroyed and work began on a great mosque. Organization number: 556737-0431, Museum of Art Nouveau and Art Deco Casa Lis, Capela Nossa Senhora da Boa Morte - Capela do Cabo, Home to Gran Canary's Most Beautiful Beach. Dinner and accommodation at the hotel. Webone month in spain itinerary. WebVisit Spain and Portugal. Granada is home to the Alhambra citadel which is one of the most famous buildings in Spain: a Moorish fortress with grand archways and delicate ornamental mosaics. It offers easy accessibility to beaches, waves and the laid-back coastal vibes and hedonistic jaunts that define this popular part of the country. On this grand tour of Spain, well visit northern sites among them world famous Santiago de Compostela. The Portuguese capital is understandably the most visited city in the country - and its never fails to disappoint. After several months of research, we developed this Spain and Portugal Itinerary for 25 Days that is round trip from Madrid. This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.What are forum guidelines? There are regular direct daily trains from Coimbra to Lisbon. And whats not to like about them? This area of Porto was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Get inspired - Discover Europe with Eurail, A post shared by Visit Porto (@visitporto), A post shared by Refill de Ideias (@refill.de.ideias), A post shared by Visit Portugal (@visitportugal), A post shared by Sevilla Lens (@sevilla_lens), A post shared by (@sergiopayan_oficial), A post shared by AVIATRAVL WORLD (@aviatravelworld). For the best pastel de nata, Confeitaria do Bolho is your place. Departure to Santander, a port city located between the sea and the mountains, well known for its Sardinero Beach, one of the best known beaches in Spain. The faade of the building, as well as the interior, is exquisite, and the collections are not something to miss. Do not miss the highlights: the galleries dedicated to El Greco and the extended Goya collection. The capital of Spain, Madrid, is a beautiful city, combining the charm of the old streets and churches with a more modern architectural vision. Disclosure: if you book or buy through any of the links on this page, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. We aren't into rushing around for the whole day, and prefer spending at least 2 nights in any city. This riverfront city is rich in history, owing to its previous status as capital of Portugal. There are four daily trains between Cadiz and Granada that connect in Dos Hermanas. WebThe Spain and Portugal Tour is a comprehensive 21 day tour across the Iberian Peninsula. Its not all about the beach (although it can be if you want it to be.). In trying to plan, I think we can do 2 We've seen everywhere you've been and hope to go (except Lisbon), but in about 8 different holidays! Day 2 + 3: Explore San Sebastin. Enjoy a coastal hike on Spain's northern Costa Brava. After several months of research, we developed this Spain and Portugal Itinerary for 25 Days that is round trip from Madrid. Our ideal itinerary is Barcelona, Valencia, Madrid, Maderia Island and Lisbon. And, yes, it is another fine piece of work from Gaudi. On one of your three days in Barcelona, visit Costa Brava or Sitges for a more small-town vibe. Personally, rather than sandwich Toledo between two visits in Madrid, I'd save one unpacking by putting Toledo straight after Cordoba. You'll be treated with several stately bridges, a medieval district packed with winding streets and quaint houses, beautiful parks, an abundance of Port wine and a vibrant artistic scene and nightlife. Optional traditional and typical dinner including a show of Fado, typical Portuguese song and music. Optional Gipsy Flamenco show at Sacromonte quarter. 10 Day Portugal Tour. A day trip from Madrid even better. Next to the park, you will find the Plaza de Espaa, a grand affair built for the 1929 Ibero-American exhibition. So many potential places in Spain, and youve got some fantastic places listed. Its possible to reach Vigo by train from throughout northern Spain. Drive to the Galician region. It is an exceptional architectural ensemble built in the Art-Nouveau style and declared a World Heritage Site in 1997. This itinerary starts in Madrid, continues to two big cities in Portugal, and returns to Spain for more splendid destinations full of history and colour. Tomar was especially important in the 15th century when it was a center of Portuguese overseas expansion under Henry the Navigator, the Grand Master of theOrder of Christ, successor organization to the Templars in Portugal. Accommodation at the hotel. I would consider skipping Lisbon and adding those days to the places I mentioned. Contemporary Madrid with areas such as Gran Va, Castellana, the district of Salamanca, Plaza Castilla and Parque del Oeste, as well as commercial and financial areas of Modern Madrid, the emblematic Las Ventas Bullring and the Santiago Bernabu Football Stadium. Enjoy the best of the Iberian peninsula and get ready for your next trip. Accommodation at the hotel. Some people race through both countries in seven days but that is a push and you will feel rushed. Crossing the scenic Rias Bajas region well view two of Europes oldest universities in Salamanca and Coimbra. The old city will be this trips third UNESCO World Heritage site. Via Murcia, capital of the fertile garden of the Segura river, continue north via Alicante, the second largest city within the region of Valencia. The journey time is approximately 1 hour 40 minutes. It is the best place to buy yourself a nice FC Barcelona souvenir. Best things to do in Salamanca, Albufeira, Funchal, Maspalomas, Puerto Del Carmen, Ibiza Town, Formentera, and Alcudia are: Zoomarine Algarve, Plaza Stop by A Bolina for a nice glass of wine over a plate of tapas, and visit O Caseirinho if you want to try an authentic Portuguese fish-based dish. If you're looking for a vacation with some flair, you'll be sure to find one in our collection of 7-18 day Spain and Portugal tours. Morning Madrid panoramic city tour; find the medieval origins of the city, like the Arabic fortress, at the Barrio de la Morera, famous for its historical buildings. Granada also offers beautiful views of Alhambra from the Mirador San Nicolas. But if you have less time, you can skip Sintra or Cascais and head directly to Seville. Planning on spending Xmas in Seville. Enjoy some free time. Reach Valencia one of the main capitals of the Mediterranean coast with its modern Arts and Sciences Architectural Complex integrated by six elements: Hemispheric, Umbral, Science Museum, Oceanographic, Palau de les Arts and gora. WebPrincess Cruises. Top things to see in Madrid (among many others) include: Toledo also presents a conundrum of Roman, Jewish, Christian, and Muslim architecture. This drive will take between 6 and 7 hours to cover the 275 miles and will cross the international border. I started trawling through all of the forums and thought it would be simpler to just throw this out there. But its the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Mezquita, a mosque turned into cathedral, which will linger in your memory for decades to come. Tomar was the last Templar town to be commissioned for construction. Some links are affiliate links and Klarna may earn a commission. This is the oldest part of the city, thronging with souvenir shops, restaurants, bars, and street artists and musicians. It is definitely beautiful. Maybe I should add Valencia to the end? Seville is the capital of Andalusia. This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. Am I missing anything in Portugal? On your second day in Lisbon, leave the city centre and visit the Belem district at the mouth of the river Tagus. I also really enjoyed Segovia and think it deserves at least a day trip from Madrid. Please note that this bus isn't included in your Eurail Pass, and a one-way journey costs around15 - 20. I spent Christmas solo in Madrid a couple of years ago. It usually plays classical music, and is a great place to relax. It is also famous for its fresh fish and shellfish, so you are in for a feast. Its lively, its pretty, its fun. I wondered whether it might be more relaxing to put all of your Madrid time together at the end, and perhaps spend two nights in Toledo. Evora makes a good day trip option from Lisbon since theres a direct train taking 1h 45m. Answered: We are a family of 5 (children ages 23, 22 and 15) traveling to Spain and Portugal in mid-June. The Camino de Santiago The Camino Primitivo A Million Steps, by Kurt Koontz Extra Mile Thursdays Related Episodes 376 Holly Worton ~ Long Distance Walks: Time and Space to Think and Reflect (now with downloadable transcript!) Choose Invicta if you crave fish or langoustines plucked fresh from the ocean. I have done Lisbon/Sintra prior (that's why im skipping Sintra). Today will be a long car day as we drive from Salamanca to Porto. I seem to be the only person on the planet who was underwhelmed by Ronda, but I'd definitely vote for Granada. Some of the top attractions to visit in the 2 evenings and full day include: The town is said to have an almost magical ambiance, as the edifices made of Villamayor stone seem to glow a golden hue in the sunlight, and by night, the buildings are beautifully illuminated. However, if you dont have time for that, you can arrange for some absolutely spectacular day trips to three of the souths big hitters: Cordoba, Granada, or Malaga. From Granada to Barcelona you would need to fly. Should you need additional day-trips from Madrid I can recommend Alcala de Henares (old university town a commuter-rail trip away), Cuenca (atmospheric hill town but at 3000' so could be cold and windy) and Salamanca (large university town). The well preserved town center is still partially surrounded by medieval walls. I also agree with others posting here that Granada, with its Alhambra Palace, in the Andalusia region is worth a visit if you have the time and the train/bus schedules work out for you. Your 14-Day Spain & Portugal Itinerary Madrid 3 Days Porto 2 Days Lisbon 3 Days Seville 2 Days Barcelona 3 Days More Ideas for Your Spain and 2023 Rick Steves' Europe, Inc. | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy. The ancient ramparts guard Romanesque churches, medieval convents, and Renaissance palaces making the UNESCO-listed Avila one of the most interesting cities in Spain. Lisbon is an acquired taste. You can add some about text, or any other kind of widget content. Since youve been to Seville before, could some or all of those 3 days go for other places? one or two weeks driving around Andalusia in southern Spain, Spain in one week: an itinerary for your first time in Spain, How to plan a road trip through Andalucia, Galicia: how to travel through the salty north of Spain. 3 nights for (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Driving through this magnificent landscape we will arrive to La Toja Island, universally known for its spa. Barcelona left its mark on Gaudi, and Gaudi left his mark on the city. 31 Interesting Facts About Madrid You Dont Already Know, Your Galicia Road Trip Itinerary: Why Youll Love Spains Rugged and Wild Coast, Be The Change: Steps to Take for a Better World, How to Boost Your Writing in 4 Simple Steps, Planning Your Trip Through Spain and Portugal. Have not been in Leon and can't comment, for Salamanca 2 nights would be sufficient. But I know that it can seem overwhelming when youre sitting down to plan out an itinerary for the first time. Brief stop in one of the wonders of the world the oldest working lighthouse the Tower of Hercules dating back from the roman period. Barcelona and Gaudi are two inseparable entities. The rolling hills, accessible history in Alfama, delectable food and all-night parties make this one of Europes greats. Accommodation. Proceed to the old fishing village Castro Urdiales. It combines the Romanesque style with Baroque and Gothic influences and is designed more like a fortress with massive walls. Marvel at the gothic-modernist architecture in Barcelona. Spend some time in the garden before ending the day on the Guadalquivir River waterfront. 1-404-736-7283 The river cruises start at Portos Ribeira pier and can last from a few hours to a whole day. Construction lasted for over two centuries and the building was eventually completed in 987. However, you can see the main cities and taste a bit of the local culture in about 14 days. I remember Ronda and its stunning views and gorge as a highlight of the my way Spain tour 2017. more. If we were to tour Sintra on foot and using the Tourist Bus, we would have to choose 2 or maybe 3 site to visit. Be sure to set your watch back one hour as Portugal is 1 hour behind Spain. Today is going to be a long day in the car as we leave Lisbon and head to Sevilla.