Cowin Special Account (EIN# 630762093) is an tax exempt organization filed with Internal Revenue Service (IRS). He was apparently a popular and respected student though not perfectly well behaved. My GGGGgrandfather is Maj. Samuel Hale. Nathan Hale, b.23 SEP 1743, Hampstead, Rockingham Co, NH, son of Moses Hale + Elizabeth Wheeler; + Abigail Grout, b.23 MAR 1745, Lunenburg, Worcester Co, MA Our Family Tree Branch: Cam and Kate Pease, John Chauncey & Niles, John Milton. By the time Boston was evacuated in March of 1776, Nathan had been promoted to captain. The Hales were a deeply pious family. Are you sure that you want to delete this photo? He was promoted to captain as the regiment settled in to the Siege of Boston. Our family has personally updated them through the years in our personal records book with all documentations and letters that we have had throughout the years. He told Nathan that being a spy was dishonorable in the eyes of the world and to be caught meant certain and inglorious death. Details of Hales espionage activities and capture are scant, though he almost certainly traveled around Long Island taking copious notes of British movements and fortifications just before his discovery. OTTO SANFORD MD. Foreclosed These properties are owned by a bank or a lender who took ownership through foreclosure proceedings. A statue by another sculptor was erected in 1914 at Yale University and replicas of that statue are located at Central Intelligence Agency in Langley, Virginia, and the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. On October 1, 1985, Nathan Hale was made the official state hero of Connecticut. We have always believed him to be descended from Nathan Hales family and would appreciate any information connecting the generations. According to a friend and schoolmate of Nathans, William Hull, Nathan debated about whether to go on a covert mission in August of 1776. Found more than one record for entered Email, You need to confirm this account before you can sign in. This browser does not support getting your location. Isabeau de DAMPIERRE , John de FIENNES. He was a spy for the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War, who was captured by British troops and executed 2 days later. The sponsor of a memorial may add an additional. katknit On September 14, 1775 his military unit was ordered by General George Washington to Cambridge. ive been told for years that i am related to nathan hale but have no clue how? Richard Hale (1717-1802) 3. Translation on Find a Grave is an ongoing project. Tis said by his counsin Sam Hale! British accounts are the most credible but the information is sketchy. Read your Bibles a chapter night and morning. In 1769, at age 14 Nathan had demonstrated sufficient knowledge of the classics in addition to New Testament Greek and set off with Enoch for Yale College in New Haven. You may not upload any more photos to this memorial, This photo was not uploaded because this memorial already has 20 photos, This photo was not uploaded because you have already uploaded 5 photos to this memorial, This photo was not uploaded because this memorial already has 30 photos, This photo was not uploaded because you have already uploaded 15 photos to this memorial. The only contemporary accounts are very brief and were written by British soldiers. He was met in the crowd by a fellow-countryman, and an own relation (but a tory and a renegado) who had received the hospitality of ths board, and the attention of a brother from Captain Hale, at His quarters at Winter Hill, in Cambridge, the winter before. JAMES KITCHEN SANFORD MD. Any info would be appreciated. American Civil War, Mexican-American War, War of 1812, Soldier for the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War, Born on June 06, 1755 Nathan Hale had no direct descendants b/c he had no children. login . My grandmother, my moms mom, was related somehow to Nathan Hale, I just dont know how, her maiden name was Millie Mae Hale, married last name (Gardner) I would love to find out more. Nathan Hale, (born June 6, 1755, Coventry, Connecticut [U.S.]died September 22, 1776, Manhattan Island, New York), American Revolutionary officer who attempted to spy on the British and was hanged. There was a problem getting your location. Sorry! Hidden in the sole of his shoe was an incriminating document, written in Latin. Try again later. Family: The effort required a soldier to disguise himself in civilian clothing, slip behind British lines, collect information and documents on the enemys next planned attack, and return to camp undetected. I would love to see what you have found from before his family got here. Hale did not graduate first in his class but he was among the better scholars, graduating with 35 other young men on September 8, 1773. he is my 8th great uncle. Perhaps this was his own moral scruples at work, but it may also have been judged by his commanding officers to be the wisest course of action. Nathan's immediate relatives including parents, siblings, partnerships and children in the Hale family tree. Nathan Hale had many early life accomplishments. Apphia Moody (1693-p1724) 6. An eight-foot-tall bronze statue of Hale on a five-foot-tall pink granite base was erected on November 25, 1893 by the Sons of the Revolution in the State of New York in City Hall Park. Numbers in this Colony, and likewise in the western part of Connecticut, would be glad to imbrue their hands in their countrys Blood. I hope you will carefully mind your studies that your time be not Lost and that you will mind all the orders of College with care and be sure above all forget not to Learne Christ while you are busy in other studies, Deacon Hale writes a few months after their arrival. Hale, Mary Maria if anyone is related to william hale father of silas almer hale contact me. After the Continental Armys defeat at Brooklyn Heights in August 1776, Washington was forced to move his army into Manhattan as the British took control of Long Island. They were placed on the left wing of his army and made their camp at the foot of Winter Hill. Its from a book, Hale, House, and Related Families. Elizabeth Strong (c1727-1767) 3rd Generation 4. These are also known as bank-owned or real estate owned (REO). He graduated with honors from Yale University in 1773. The 3,450 sq. He was ordered executed the next morning. Woodbridges. But life as an officer certainly tested ones commitment to the cause: Promised the men if they would tarry another month they should have my wages for that time, writes Nathan toward the end of 1775. In his second year, Nathan was elected to a secret literary fraternity known as Linonia for which he was scribe, librarian, and finally president. Not sure what you are referring to. While at Yale, he became close friends with Benjamin Tallmadge, a fellow Yale student who would later become George Washington's head of intelligence during the Revolutionary War. Joseph Strong (1701-1773) 7. Try again later. Nathan Hale has long been a legend, the martyred hero of the American Revolution. There was an error deleting this problem. Cleand my gunpld some football, & some chequers. And on another day Dine at Brown (Tavern), drink 1 bottle (of) winewalkd about street, called at Josh. Even their contemporaries regarded the Hales as a distinctly Puritan family, though that appellation had fallen out of use some time earlier. Also an interesting note I found one trace that leads to the Hale family having a connection to the Mayflower, but I am not sure on how reliable It is. Records may include photos, original documents, family history, relatives, specific dates, locations and full names. Then two American sculptors working at the turn of the twentieth century imagined Nathan Hale in bronze statues. The Homestead is a pristine example of a Georgian-style home. Elizabeth Strong (1704-1792) 4th Generation 8. In his teens he moved with his family to Rindge, New Hampshire. His great grandfather, Joseph Strong Sr. Is my 8th great grandfather! In various sources, the present-day location of the execution is listed in different locations. Nathan Hale was a soldier for the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. Drag images here or select from your computer for Nathan Hale memorial. Are you adding a grave photo that will fulfill this request? We collect and match historical records that Ancestry users have contributed to their family trees to create each person's profile. It is with deep sorrow that we announce the death of Nathan Hale Jr. of Enfield, Connecticut, born in Fairmont, West Virginia, who passed away on December 29, 2020, at the age of 73, leaving to mourn family and friends. Everybody loved him, said Hannah Pierson of Nathan during his stay there. Nathan Hale was born to a prominent Connecticut family in 1755 and attended Yale University (then known as Yale College) with hopes of becoming a teacher. I believe Robert Hale was the founder of this branch, and he did not come over on the Mayflower. Another British officer, Lt. Frederick Mackenzie, recorded Hales last moments: He behaved with great composure and resolution, saying he thought it the duty of every good Officer, to obey any orders given him by his Commander-in-Chief; and desired the Spectators to be at all times prepared to meet death in whatever shape it might appear. Later the same day, Montresor traveled to the American camp to deliver a message from Howe to Washington and told several officers of Hales fate. This uncertainty has made him a popular subject with writers of historical fiction, who thus feel free to add their own details. 1865 - 1880 . Click on thumbnails of manuscript for enlargement. Learn more about merges. Linda, Im very interested in Nathan hales roots in England. i als have my family tree traced from nathan hale as well as england also anyone have any meeses mary a hale? in New York City, New York, USA, This form allows you to report an error or to submit additional information about this family tree: Nathan HALE (1755), Copyright Wikipdia authors - This article is under licence CC BY-SA 3.0. In the middle and among many others omitted, you can see some of the Hale family relationships, letters, drawings, etc. Do you have any information on the marriage of Lucinda Hale to Jared Tyrrel? Even the Army order books are vague. Nathen Hale Is my great x10 cousin my grandmas aunts aunts aunts x5 son. Im sure she would also enjoy a tour the next time she comes north. Thank you so much for your offer. Huntington homes for sale range from $185K - $1.9M with the avg price of a 2-bed condo home of $829K. Further evidence supporting this theory is that when Nathan was caught, he made no attempt to lie about who he was or what he had been doing. He was a member of Knowlton's Rangers, a reconnaissance and espionage detachment of the Continental Army established by General George Washington. Depend upon it there never was the least truth in that infamous newspaper publication chargeing me with ingratitude, &c. I am happy that they have had recourse to falsehood to vilify my character. WILLIAM HALE MD. Enoch Hale and 7 others; Richard Hale, Jr.; Billie Hale; Jonathan Hale; William Hale; Rev. Two last letters written by him to his beloved brother Enoch and his commanding officer, Lt. Col. Knowlton were lost or destroyed after his death along with his Yale diploma. He joined the Connecticut militia, becoming a First Lieutenant within five months. Family Tree Maker user home page for Daniel-M-Taylor-HI. With scouting parties and citizen couriers proving to be ineffective, the general proposed that one of Knowltons rangers conduct one of the first American spy missions of the war. Graduating with first-class honors in 1773 at age 18, Nathan became a teacher, first in East Haddam and later in New London. ft. home is a 5 bed, 3.5 bath property. FORUM ARTICLES SEARCH. After graduation, Nathan journeyed to Portsmouth, New Hampshire, to visit his uncle, Major Samuel Hale, a Harvard graduate, and headmaster of a well-known Latin School there, probably seeking career advice. Barbara, thanks so much for your lovely offer. Your email address will not be published. MINNIE ELLEN FARR 3 Beds. Unfortunately, no one is alive anymore to get the facts from. His family goes back to Newbury, MA and Hartford, CT among other early colonial settlements. Candles and flowers are left above memorial posters of Chicago police Officer Andres Vasquez-Lasso after a vigil in his memory at Nathan Hale Park on March 2, 2023, in Chicago. Ft. 18709 1st Ave NE Unit A, Shoreline, WA 98155. I have the entire family tree for the Hales from Nathan Hale all the way to the present day children that were born decedents as recent as 2011. He is probably best remembered for his purported last words before being hanged: "I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country." On the night of September 15, 1776, Hale left for Long Island outfitted as a schoolmaster and carrying his Yale diploma. For memorials with more than one photo, additional photos will appear here or on the photos tab. Another treasured item at the Homestead is Nathans Bible, signed by him, with a few verses marked: In my fathers house are many mansions and I go to prepare a place for you, a famous passage. Brother of Samuel Hale; John B. Hale; Joseph Hale; Elizabeth Hale; Rev. Cool did it take you along time to figure it out or was it easy?, When you go in the Google search it shows you some peeps on his ancestors list like Allen , Hales , strong, Hilton and Ford Etc all related . Nearby homes similar to 14365 30th Ave NE #10 have recently sold between $625K to $940K at an average of $615 per square foot. Descendant through John Hale, Nathans brother.