"That election is very far away, and so there will be a time at some point to talk about any future elections," Hinojosa said. $475,000 Last Sold Price. It's an incredibly brazen and divisive move: The same trustees who sat on their hands as the district blew past its budget now want to suspend elections like a military junta angling to stifle democratic dissent. Strong business management skills with a proven track record of adapting . In 1992, he was only 2 years old when on April 29th, riots began in Los Angeles after the "Rodney King" verdict was issued. That doesnt mean, though, that hell always do what we want.. He even lived in The Village Apartments where Billionaire Mark Cuban once lived, and I think I lived in just about every apartment complex in east Dallas, among many others. He was a really good cook, too. Dallas ISD Superintendent Michael Hinojosa and his son Taylor Hinojosa, a graduate of Hillcrest High School and former Samuell High School teacher and coach, were featured on Dallas Love Field's Lead with Love show+podcast this week. Discover how our Uncovering Our Shared Memories: An Introduction to the Community Standards at AncientFaces In April of 2005, Michael Hinojosa was named General Superintendent of the Dallas Independent School District. Michael Hinojosa resigned as superintendent of DISD in order to look closely at a mayors race, and people have been talking about this and hes been talking about this for a year or more. Sign Up. She previously covered breaking business news for The News' business desk and race and diversity for Bloomberg News. I always did well at school, but those two incidents sparked me.". Michael Hinojosa's lowest point as the Dallas ISD superintendent wasn't the COVID pandemic. They were only 15 and 16 years old, but they became inseparable at the time. He was the second born child of four- Cipriano Jr., Michael, Dalia, and Jimmy. Dr. Michael Hinojosa has left Dallas ISD early once again, this time two years before his contract was up in 2024. Dr. Michael Hinojosa served more than 27 years as a superintendent/CEO of six public education systems, including two of the 25 largest school systems in America, Dallas ISD in Texas and the Cobb County School District in suburban Atlanta, Georgia. As other speakers lambaste the superintendent and boardeach one drawing sustained applause from a boisterous crowdHinojosa slumps a bit in his chair. Rena Honea, the head of the largest teachers association, praised Hinojosa on the eve of his expected retirement announcement. or. If anything, the stern-faced superintendent with a thick, heavy mustache, seems excited as he starts to speak. But theres none of that, and certainly no visible sign that within the week, hell announce one of the biggest moves in his professional life: leaving education for something else. I love my job. Noah Kohn says he's thankful for Dr. Hinojosa and the legacy he's leaving behind. While the district did make academic gains, those goals werent reached. Dr. Hinojasa has led Dallas ISD for 13 years -- during two different stints -- and has been an educator for more than 40 years. Got a tip? This political norm wouldve set Hinojosa up for an uphill battle. He oversaw a now-infamous budget disaster but learned from it, leaving the district on solid financial footing with a tax increase and state-record bond passage on his resume. Hinojosa also has been praised for mentoring future school leaders such as Austin Superintendent Stephanie Elizalde, who previously worked for him in DISD. Comfort the family with flowers or a sympathy gift. The politically savvy Hinojosa came across as the opposite, willing to listen and compromise. Faith & Family Two top ex-execs at Christianity Today sexually harassed staffers, magazine . CANDLE HAS BEEN LIT CANDLES HAVE BEEN LIT, We are reviewing your submission. It may take up to 1 hour for your comment to appear on the website. His life may not have been perfect - but it proclaims a great gospel truthMichael knew firsthand where the mercy seat was - and so do we - as we lean on The Lord for grace and understanding. Little known facts about Michael are his love for music and art. The occurrence of Hinojosa has changed over time. You alone give life meaning and offer us the gift of eternal life. It wasnt until after a three-year stop in Spring the first easy job I had that Hinojosa finally felt ready to throw his hat into the ring to lead his hometown district. For more than an hour, they talked and ate while Hinojosa took notes. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. I have two very vivid memories," Hiniojosa said. He would have been trying to become the citys first Hispanic mayor. Dallas ISD Superintendent Dr. Michael Hinojosa Leaving District by End of 2022. Jimmy Hinojosa One of those five is board president Jack Lowe, who has stymied efforts from the three black trustees to bring a no-confidence measure against Hinojosa. 2023 SCI SHARED RESOURCES, LLC. (picking a superintendent), On whether he has a recommendation for the next superintendent. I think Hinojosa, as most mayoral candidates in Dallas do, understands that the downtown business community is central to these electoral outcomes. The Arkansas Chamber Singers celebrate spring with "works that explore growth, rebirth, and appreciation for the world and the people around us," 7:30 p.m. Friday and 3 p.m. Sunday at St . local news and culture. Meanwhile, hell be cheering on the Mavericks, meeting his extended family for dinner at the Stoneleigh Pea and coaching administrators and teachers across the country to be positive and successful in their professions. 1.0, we had to do a lot of blocking and tackling," Hinojosa said. The district had five superintendents in six years. I do think that he would have been sort of a key challenger in this race.. Now he's leaving early, and some are wondering. The discoveries made possible by the Hubble have contributed to scientists' understanding of the universe. Select the pencil to add details. One area where the district still struggles, however, is student achievement. Thats how I have to have it, Hinojosa said. Within five years, he was Adamsons boys head basketball coach, one of the youngest in the history of DISD, he still brags. 2 out of every 3 Texas educators have recently considered leaving, new survey says. He said, 'Well, youre the smartest kid I ever coached and you work hard. memorial page for Richard Michael Hinojosa (unknown-unknown), Find a Grave Memorial ID 63324035; Burial Details Unknown; . He's rushing his words a bit and occasionally even makes eye contact with the audience. Ultimately, the decision not to run which Hinojosa said he made only a few days ago came down to the time and effort needed to win. Read More . He left there three years ago and returned to Texas, most recently working as an education consultant for a private firm. SOLD DEC 27, 2022. Bexar County Sheriff's Office Police arrested a San Antonio man after an argument ended in. This, Hinojosa calls "accountable talk.". The DMN Education Lab is a community-funded journalism initiative, with support from The Beck Group, Bobby and Lottye Lyle, Communities Foundation of Texas, The Dallas Foundation, Dallas Regional Chamber, Deedie Rose, The Meadows Foundation, Solutions Journalism Network, Southern Methodist University and Todd A. Williams Family Foundation. But Hinojosa can be a bit of a geek. Johnson got it. July 17, 1960 - September 8, 2015 Miles tenure had ushered in tremendous reform, most notably the development of a robust pre-K program and the districts teacher pay and evaluation system. His drawings are amazing and reflect a true, natural talent, drawing the attention of others who would offer him the opportunity to study on an art scholarship. While a few (all of them Hispanic) offer warm words of support, the majority make it clear they want Hinojosa and the trustees who support him out. Superintendent on working to appease both sides of the school reopening debate. The school board later voted 6-1 to eliminate the symbol. BY ANCESTRY.COM. Its difficult to run against an incumbent. Texas Dr. Michael Hinojosa served 27 years as a superintendent/CEO of six public education systems, including two of the 25 largest school systems in America: Dallas Independent School District (ISD) in Texas and the Cobb County School District in suburban Atlanta, Georgia. She currently serves as the chair of the Texas Urban Council. Four LAPD officers had been accused of using excessive force (assault) on African-American Rodney King, who had been stopped for drunk driving. He and his wife Kitty have two sons, graduates of Princeton University and Harvard University, in addition to Dr. Hinojosa's son from a previous marriage who graduated from Texas Tech University. There was a level of comfort, trustee Edwin Flores said. He left the district once before, with critics crowing then that he was scampering off for new prospects without fulfilling his promises. Emily is an education reporter for Education Lab at The Dallas Morning News. Tonight though, Hinojosa can't go anywhere. He was willing to tell the story of Dallas as it is and to acknowledge the segregation and racist policies that shaped the school district, she stressed. "I dont know if they believed wed succeed. I dont think I have another decade in me, Hinojosa said. We usually have a lot of people come yelling at us, but that doesnt happen in the suburbs. At the heart of his presentation is "self-management of learning," which focuses on making students better learners and thinkers. I get the chance to remember the Share yesterday to connect today & preserve tomorrow, Copyright 1999-2023 AncientFaces, Inc. All Rights Reserved, ADVERTISEMENT The superintendent chose the latter, defying Gov. Itd be easy to excuse the superintendent, at the tail end of his 13th year running DISD, for having filled the room with piles of papers, messy bookshelves or overstuffed bankers boxes totems that would point to his four-decade education career. Before a cluster of camera crews, they stage a play portraying both Hinojosa and Lowe as partners-in-crime, avidly conspiring to consolidate their power. Driving the news: Hinojosa recently spoke to The 74 Million about the biggest challenges he faced leading the . Dr. Hinojosa will also be praised for spending his final years with the district leading it through the darkest days of the pandemic. The Hinojosa family wishes to express their sincere gratitude to all those who Join the Observer community and help support Your entry has exceeded the maximum character limit. 3:20 PM on Dec 6, 2022 CST. Hinojosa said the debates at board meetings have been heated and personal. Still, Hinojosa would have entered the mayoral election with strengths of his own. Then, we had snowmageddon. Beloved son of Nathalie Stein Hinojosa and the late Rafael Hinojosa Jr. Loving father of Craig Hinojosa. Originally born in Mexico, Hinojosa and his family immigrated to the Oak Cliff neighborhood of Dallas, Texas when Hinojosa was in the second grade. Dr. Michael Hinojosa, who served as the superintendent of the Dallas Independent School District from 2005-2011 and again since 2015, is expected to soon announce his intent to retireperhaps. On Skellig Michaelsometimes referred to as the Rock of St. Michaelthe monks of St. Fion n sought to get closer to God by living simple lives in isolation far from shore. ), That's the board's job to do. DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM)- Two Dallas ISD-aligned sources said on Wednesday, Jan 12 that Superintendent Michael Hinojosa will announce Thursday in a news conference, that he is retiring from the district's top spot at the end of the year. So I think it has an impact and I'm not going to apologize for being outspoken. An optical flaw was found within weeks of launch but was fixed within three years. So to conclude, as you visit with Michael's family and friends, you come away with a sense of his true, inner, nature - a special place in his heart for the confused, the perplexed, the lost, the distressed, the despairing. 12415 Winners Cir, El Paso, TX 79928-2267 - reported in January 2023 (1 year) ; 81372 Avenida Coyote, Indio, CA 92201-7823 - reported in April 2018 (5 years) ; 75406 Orange Blossom Ln, Palm Desert, CA 92211-5300 - reported in May 2022 (1 year) ; Po Box 5233, La Quinta, CA 92248-5233 . Dallas Independent School District is no different. Some people simply refuse to look at Hinojosa; others shoot him bitter looks. Former Dallas schools superintendent Michael Hinojosa. What schools or universities did Michael attend? Urban education is very difficult, said Mike Moses, a former Texas education commissioner. Those of us that have fought urban battles, we know we've been having this forever. Both campuses are expected to be ready for spring 2023. There's fidgetingand a palpable level of tension evident throughout the cold, cavernous room. Im proud of all of our principals.". Help paint a picture of Michael so that he is always remembered. A Carrollton High School Claims Employee Gave Student Prescription Drugs, Rep. Nate Schatzline, Under Fire for 'Drag' Video, Accused of 'Doxxing' Keller ISD Mom, Texas Bill Would Make Illegal Voting a Felony, Another Carrollton Fentanyl Arrest and an On-Campus Overdose at R.L. He's staring blankly into the auditorium; that joy in his countenance has vanished. Johnny Veselka, the former executive director of the Texas Association of School Administrators, called Hinojosa a strong voice at the state and national level, serving as TASA president and taking key roles in the Council of Great City Schools and the Texas School Alliance. After he finishes, members of the audience have their chance to talk. You dont see that a lot, she said. He certainly didn't have dreams of the leading Texas's second largest school district. He resigned from Cobb County in 2014. She really does keep me on schedule. And she travels with him frequently. Biographies are our place to remember and discover more about the people important to us. Michael John Hinojosa, born in San Antonio, TX, went to be with the Lord on March 15, 2015 at the age of 56 years. The audience couldn't care less. In the early days of his term, some criticized the $89.5 million bond the largest in district history for being over the top. I have the energy to keep working, so I plan to, he says. and help keep the future of the Observer, Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our, Dallas Observer's The Morning After Brunch. When Hinojosa revealed hed step down from DISD in July rather than on Dec. 31, 2022, as was originally planned he said the departure was not necessarily a sign of a looming mayoral bid. In Loving Memory of His grand kids loved him and looked forward to spending time with him. Michael D Hinojosa lived Dallas ISD Superintendent Michael Hinojosa oversaw the district through many recent challenges, including the tornado that ravaged three campuses and the coronavirus pandemic. Having grown up in a family of ten in Oak Cliff near Samuel High School, where he attended and played basketball, he learned to negotiate with others and work as a team. Hinojosa was one of 10 superintendents in North Texas to announce they're stepping down in just four months. "He is a very strong leader in the educational world, but we had a professional working relationship where we could at least talk things out, listen to each other give suggestions," she said. The district was forced to lay off hundreds of teachers, assistant principals and central office employees. The car she was riding in was trying to evade the paparazzi but it was also discovered later that the driver of the car, who was also killed, had three times the legal limit of alcohol which likely contributed to the accident. Michael was born in Houston, Texas to Cipriano P. Hinojosa and Eva Hinojosa on the 17th of July, 1960. When Miles suddenly resigned from DISD in 2015, Hinojosa was back in town, working as a consultant. Dr. Phillip Jon Hinojosa is a health care provider primarily located in Knoxville, TN, with other offices in Knoxville, TN and Knoxville, TN(and 2 other locations). have supported us during this time of unexpected loss. March 4, 2022 / 11:40 AM Testimonies continued during the third day of trial for Paul Jarosik, who was charged with murder in the April 2, 2020, beating death of Brown. At that time, he said he would stay as long as trustees would have him, joking that hed ordered a pine box for my conference room. During a press conference Thursday, Hinojosa quipped: Ive had them cancel the order.. Hinojosa set lofty goals for the district, laying out the Road for Broad a plan to have DISD win the coveted prize that honors the most improved urban school district by 2010. And maybe one day soon, hell be announcing his candidacy for Mayor of the city hes served in for decades. I will talk about the future when that comes. Marin Wolf. He pushed for the expansion of the districts choice campuses, understanding the competitive nature of public school options brought on by the massive growth of charter schools in southern Dallas. Michael Anthony Hinojosa, 33, was charged with murder in connection with the death of Daniel Flores. Cipriano P. Hinojosa His final day in his first period as DISD Superintendent was June 30, 2011. He estimates a ton of plastic washes ashore each month. The Together Network for Transformation. 2022 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. "You can make the biggest difference in an urban setting. Actually, I thought I was going to be the youngest coach to get hired, and the youngest to get fired, he said. and you'll be alerted when others do the same. Hinojosa said while he initially felt disappointed after calling off his potential campaign, that feeling has turned to acceptance. And the board can be very deliberate about picking the next leader. For me, its personal and I do know it from top to bottom," Hinojosa said. Give it a try, you can unsubscribe anytime. Dalia H. Carranza The DMN Education Lab is a community-funded journalism initiative, with support from The Beck Group, Bobby and Lottye Lyle, Communities Foundation of Texas, The Dallas Foundation, Dallas Regional Chamber, Deedie Rose, The Meadows Foundation, Solutions Journalism Network, Southern Methodist University and Todd A. Williams Family Foundation. A DISD teacher and vice president of NEA-Dallas, one of the district's two main teacher organizations, Birdwell mocks Hinojosa and his acolytes on the board for voting to extend their terms. In fact, he lives so close, I can walk to the games., As a teacher and coach, Hinojosa loved helping his students achieve. Dallas ISD Superintendent Dr. Michael Hinojosa says he will step down from his post leading the state's second-largest school system by the end of this year. Jessica Hinojosa Michael Hinojosa. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. While outside protesters demand he step down, waving wind-blown signs that read "Retire Hinojosa, Rehire Teachers," the 52-year-old superintendent will be at the DISD Board of Trustees meeting, where the nine elected officials will be voting to extend their terms by one year. Were not in the same place as a school district, as a city, that we were 10 years ago or 20 years ago, board president Ben Mackey said. What is Michael's ethnicity and where did his parents, grandparents & great-grandparents come from? Average Age & Life Expectancy Michael D Hinojosa lived 54 years shorter than the average Hinojosa family member when he died at the age of 14. "We had to put systems in. h***@dallasisd.org. More about the Hinojosa family name; Sponsored by Ancestry. When asked about his political aspirations, Hinojosa hedged. Hinojosa was one of a few superintendents in Texas that came under fire after the district implemented a mask mandate, despite an order from Governor Greg Abbott prohibiting such mandates. After 27 years, I no longer have to worry about so many people. E2L has about 200 employees, and hes not in charge of any of them. "Then, we had pandemic 1.0. Family, friend, or fan, this family history biography is for you to remember Michael D Hinojosa. Multiple sources have told The News that for the past several months, Hinojosa has been courted by political operatives as a potential candidate to challenge Mayor Eric Johnson in the upcoming 2023 Dallas elections. "Someone believed I could be an educator, and that was a game-changer for me. EventuallyHinojosa was offered the permanent position as superintendent again in October of 2015, and in September 2019 the DISD board voted 6-1 to renew his term until September 2024. The Dallas Morning Newsstated that this damaged his period of leadership. I still love my job every day, and I will love it until the next superintendent is hired. Hinojosa and his wife Kitty have two sons, graduates of Princeton and Harvard universities. Im proud of our school board. Dr. John Michael Robertson, MD . DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - On March 4 teachers, parents and students will learn more about what happened over the last year and what's to come for the Dallas Independent School District. Other board members, particularly those who have professed support for the superintendent, look as if they're witnessing an execution. From 2005 to now, the district went from living hand to mouth, to being able to innovate and lead the state, said Flores, who started as a trustee the same year Hinojosa came to DISD. 2022 Readers Choice Awards-Best of Southwest DFW, Midlothian PD Updates City Council On racial profiling and juvenile curfew, Manna House Launches #TeamManna Giving Campaign, DeSoto ISD Athletic Director Claude Mathis To Receive Outstanding Texan Award, Past, Present and Future recognized at this weeks Black History Month, Cedar Hill Volleyball Plans to Build Upon Experience, Second murder investigation in Italy,Texas in 2023, Womens Rodeo World Championship Returns to Fort Worth May 18-20, DFW Golf Show Announces 2023 Schedule of Events, Shakespeare Dallas to Host Pub Crawl on March 11, 2023. Hed hoped to move up into administration in DISD but couldnt get a principal position, so moved to Grand Prairie ISD where he became principal of Grand Prairie High School and met his wife. Students leaving high schools with associates degrees, paid internships and trade certificates will have a good chance of earning a living wage, which in turn will provide wealth in their communities, he said. Sometimes, someone has to learn the superintendency, or they need to learn the community, or they need to learn the board. Get contact info, address & run background checks for Melissa Hinojosa. He also knows a lot about collaboration and getting along with others. Fabens a small school district 30 miles southeast of El Paso gave him a shot. Like most urban school districts, DISD has been hit hard by the pandemic, as COVID-19 placed a disproportionate burden on families in poverty and people of color. Experienced Chief Claims Officer with a demonstrated history of creativity and innovations resulting in superior results. If anything, the stern-faced superintendent with a thick, heavy mustache . It could have been a made-for-TV movie: A Mexican immigrant raised in Dallas returns to his hometown and leads the district to a series of academic gains, while winning over the business community and some parents with his intelligence, zeal and stubbornness. See Photos. So, now I have the opportunity to go out and leave the district in great shape, and then they can find someone who can do it for the next 10 years.. If you find this reporting valuable, consider making a tax-deductible gift today. Ron DeSantis brings his culture war to Texas Gov. As for politics, hes ready to do whatever it takes to be successful. He also addressed speculation that hes considering a run for public office. He applied for an assistant principal role at Boude Storey Middle School, only to be unceremoniously rejected: I didnt even get an interview.. The beating had been videotaped. Email Reporter Bill Zeeble at bzeeble@kera.org. In March 2021, the coronavirus made its way to Dallas, forcing the district to stop face-to-face instruction for nearly seven months, while spinning up remote instruction for its 130,000 students. When he returned for Hinojosa 2.0, Birdwell said he met her at a Cafe Brazil to hear out concerns. Log In. Dallas students have shown steep declines on state assessments and other indicators over the past two years. Its a reality that could have swayed Hinojosas decision not to run, hesaid. Cipriano P. Hinojosa, JR Alliance AFT president Rena Honea said Hinojosa unfairly shouldered a disproportionate amount of the blame for that mistake, blame that should have also rested with a chief financial officer who wasnt Hinojosas choice. What challenges will Dallas and Fort Worth face finding their next schools superintendents? 2.5 Baths. 11/19/2022 4:29 AM. 126 birth, 11 death, 58 marriage, 10 divorce, View