First, youll want to open up the HBO Max app and click on the three lines in the top left corner. It also provides audio descriptions for people who are visually impaired. 3. cshutch. In the upper-right corner, tap the Audio and Subtitles button. True or false? Select the Settings icon in the top right corner of the screen. Apple TV 2 or Apple TV 3 Apple TV 4 or Apple TV 4K iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch All other devices Was this article helpful? How do I change audio settings on HBO Max? Press J to jump to the feed. This guide will show you how to turn it off. Required fields are marked *. If you're looking to turn off the narrator on HBO Max, there are a few steps you can take. Go to your display and sound settings and confirm that the HDMI is uncompressed. This can be highly irritating for those without vision problems as it creates Try reversing the ends of your HDMI/optical cable or using a different cable. But that is different than the voice description, which is comes from the broadcast. Try using another HDMI port on your TV. This can be useful if you are having difficulty hearing the audio or if you want to change the audio to a different language. Go to the app's menu and turn Audio Description off. See our ethics statement. For example, the HBO Max series "Lovecraft Country" uses a whimsical, light-hearted narrator to contrast with the dark and spooky setting of the show. There will also be improvements to the screen reader compatibility of the website and apps. How do I turn off narrator on HBO Max Roku? This article will show you how to turn off the narrator on HBO Max on Roku. If you prefer, you can find the Screen Reader controls in the Accessibility menu. To turn off audio descriptions, re-open the Audio and Captions menu and choose the original language in the Audio section. WarnerMedia Direct has agreed to provide audio description for at least 1,500 hours of new and existing programming on HBO Max by the end of March 2021. Like many other applications, HBO Max also requires updated versions for smooth entertainment. Select titles on HBO Max now have audio descriptions, which are separate audio tracks that describe what's visually happening on-screen. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. How do I turn off Audio Description Narration? We have several other ways to turn off audio on HBO Max. Luckily, this can be fixed on any device that supports the HBO Max app. If you have a traditional cable TV input connected to your Roku, you might discover that cable TV programming can also have this kind of descriptive audio. So far, the described shows and movies include Euphoria, His Dark Materials, Generation, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Dunkirk, and more. Sign up for Verge Deals to get deals on products we've tested sent to your inbox daily. Unfortunately, the accidental switching-on of audio description is bothering many people, hence this article to help you if you are dealing with the same glitch. Audio Description is a service that provides information about the visual elements of a program. To disable it for cable, you need to turn off the cable network's Secondary Audio Programming (SAP). Tap your profile (upper right), the Settings icon , then tap or scroll to Captions and Subtitles and choose Manage Preferences (if available). Most of the time, the fault is in the smart tv settings. In the Audio section, tap English - Audio Description (if available) and then tap X to close. Click on Accessibility and then Voice Guide. Click on the circle on the face of your iPhone, Then click on update all or update in order to update a single app. I'm not even sure how this is a practical service, tbh. Los Angeles, April 1 Last week, HBO Max became the latest streaming giant to add audio description to their content. 2. For more info, see Subtitles and captioning on iOS. You can follow these steps to solve this particular problem. Turn on Audio Descriptions. Let us know in the comments section below. To help visually impaired people to enjoy a show or a movie was the intention behind the feature. Turn off Audio Description permanently Using AppleTV 4K (1st Gen) and every time I watch something on HBO Max, I have annoying Audio Description. Choose a topic and we'll recommend the best way to contact us. Fortunately, its easy to turn off descriptive audio. Some shows and movies have multiple audio and subtitle languages available. This should be the starting point for potential fixes of any bugs or issues with the HBO max app in the event that the above steps do not work. There will also be improvements to the screen reader compatibility of the website and apps. Audio description helps blind consumers get the full experience of a piece of entertainment, similar to how captioning helps deaf consumers. Here you can adjust the closed captioning font, color, size, and opacity. Cheers. To do this, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Caption settings or try pressing the CC button on your remote control (settings and remotes vary depending by TV model). When watching shows on HBO Max, I prefer to use a decent set of headphones so as to not disturb anyone around me. By submitting your email, you agree to our Terms and Privacy Notice. Unplug your streaming media player (e.g. A Roku essentially makes any TV a smart TV. Providing accessibility assistance and tips for people with disabilities in the HBO Max Help section. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. Is there a way to create two options, audio description or non audio description. Here's how to turn captions or subtitles on or off, customize their appearance, and choose an audio language: To change subtitles, closed captions, or audio: For more info about audio descriptions, see Accessibility features. Why is HBO Max playing Audio Description? Discovery. Privacy Policy | If you are facing the issue of unwanted audio descriptions, first check the settings of HBO Max. The first option is to clear your cache memory. 2. This has included not just the shows and movies that will be available, but also the features that will be included on the platform. Jump to Titles. If you have an existing report and you want to add sorting or grouping to it, or if you want to modify the reports existing sorting or grouping, this section helps you get started. To change the caption styling, choose your Settings icon , and then choose Closed Captioning. For more info about audio descriptions, see Accessibility features. So I turn it off again, but even though I'm using the regular setting, the narration is still playing. The Audio Description feature might be playing on the HBO Max app if you've inadvertently turned it on. There are some other things that you can try if you are not getting any audio. The audio descriptions and other changes will [allow] our community to share equally with family and friends in the truly universal pastime of viewing television and movies, said Dan Spoone, president of the American Council of the Blind, in a statement today. Why cant I turn off Audio Description on HBO Max? Open HBO Max and sign in to your account. By releasing details about its upcoming shows and movies, HBO Max is hoping to get people excited about its service. Site Design by, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Diving In: A shining example of how people with disabilities can and should be depicted in media, Short Film NayNay Too Bomb Brings Awareness to Disability Inclusion and Representation. How do I turn off Audio Description on HBO Max app? Jump to titles. Audio description (AD) is a narration track that describes what is happening on-screen for people who are blind or have low vision. Applications have this option to gain a diverse audience who are differently-abled. Another big selling point of HBO Max has been the premiere of Zack Snyders Justice League, a four-hour epic superhero event. The third reason you might not be able to turn off audio description is that the feature might be locked. The audio description bug has been ongoing for quite some time. Start watching something and then press the Select button on your remote (center of the navigational ring). How do I turn off just my PS5 controller? Ordered list. Uninstall the app, download it again, then run the app. As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases. If the problem relates to a Samsung TV, you may want to reach out to Samsung support using the link below. The Bottom Line how to turn off audio description on hbo max Your email address will not be published. One unique feature that HBO Max announced is its use of a narrator. If all else fails then contact HBO support to get assistance. Some makes of TVs have a dedicated button on the remote control. Use the up down keys to select English and press OK. | Fri 11 Jul 2014 17:20:51 #4 |. The feature might have turned on accidentally, and now it is bothering the viewer by not turning off. This article will discuss how to turn off audio descriptions on HBO max. HBO also has many shows with more adult themes such as True Bloodand Euphoria. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The audio descriptions and other changes will [allow] our community to share equally with family and friends in the truly universal pastime of viewing television and movies, said Dan Spoone, president of the American Council of the Blind, in a statement today. What happens to the spring of a bathroom scale when a weight is placed on it? Start watching something and then click the screen. All Rights Reserved. Scroll using the arrows in the image below in order to see a visual representation of the steps. Thank you for the help, I'm on latest version and that didn't fix the issue. Hopefully, HBO will patch out the bug soon. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. example, a detailed narration of the scene or action that's taking place). Make sure to check the settings before proceeding to any other step. Happening to me just watching on my iPad on mortal Kombat. Update the app 3. Only with Wonder Woman. In "Settings," select "Accessibility." Dave Johnson 4. Do not select anything with audio descriptions next to it. Turning on audio description.Image: WarnerMedia. Select Voice Guide twice. Sort the records in this table so they are grouped by the value in the classification field. Press the Home button on the Roku remote. Read more.As summer dissipates through fall and stretches into winter, most drivers arent too Microsoft-owned Xbox consoles have won the hearts of many gamers around the world with its incredible features and product offerings. For example, she explains that HBO Max has a large library of movies and TV shows, that it offers a wide range of original programming, and that it includes a variety of live and on-demand sports content. Here you can adjust the closed captioning font, color, size, and opacity. Use audio descriptions on Apple TV Audio descriptions provide an audible narration of important onscreen action and content in movies and TV shows. Well, if you are keep reading so that you can know what to do about it. There will be ongoing efforts to increase HBO Max's described library from 1,500 hours to 3,000 hours by the end of March 2022. Start watching something, and then press the Down button on your remote. Toggle the Descriptive Audio switch to Off. So if you are playing an item/movie/series and it is available in surround sound, sometimes the software does not know exactly what to do and gets confused. You can also turn captions or subtitles on or off and customize their appearance. Discovery. No matter what I try, the narration plays every time and I haven't found a single way to disable it. Confirm that you have tried all the steps and options before giving up and calling customer service. Turn them off on HBO Max under subtitles, 3. Third, use the arrow buttons to scroll down and select Audio & Subtitles. This is happening to me on HBO Max on Apple TV. How to turn off the audio description on Samsung TV. Fifth, use the arrow buttons to change the Narrator setting from On to Off. This is particularly useful when your HBO Max app is on your phone. Which device are you using? HBO Maxs audio description category.Image: WarnerMedia. (obviously this will be the HBO Max app), You should see a list of devices linked to your HBO Max account, Then check if the issue of audio persists, On the left-hand side under settings, click, This may be self-explanatory, but double-check to ensure that your volume is up, Ensure that your phone is not set to do not disturb. 12 22 HBO Max HBO Television 22 comments Best Add a Comment jsgator99 3 yr. ago I have checked other movies and there is no narrator. Classified information or material must be stored under conditions that prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to it. Its wide range of content and affordable price point make it a great choice for anyone who is blind or has low vision. Signing out of HBO Max has been deliberately made to be as cumbersome as all subscription apps are.