Then paint with exterior enamel. A first brace is inserted and driven down on the side of the hole toward which the pole is leaning, until the pole is restored to an upright position. 36" tube = ~9" form (exclude ground spike). Every storm involving high winds awakened thoughts of impending disaster. (Repeat Method 2) Creativity has no limit. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Also if the pipe is off vertical the pole may be rotated back to vertical. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. The cable runs through the barn and emerges at ground level in a doorway at the opposite end. The process of fixing the fence: How to fix a leaning fence step by step video. If you can attach a line to the top of the pole, you can pull in he opposite direction to the bend. Put the post mender on either side of the post that runs parallel to the railing, NOT the side that the panels will be reattached to. It might even look like one good gust of wind will topple it right over. Will your homeowners ins pay for it? Step 2: Examine the floor lamp to find the loosened part. The U.S. Patent of Fisher (U.S. Pat. I have found that the best way to unbend something is to apply a force opposite to the one that caused the bend. . My exterior lamp post is straight as a drum, solid and stable. It is in use but I have cleaned the quardrant that needs work. Step 2: Straightening/levelling the fence post. I have a 1957 tobacco barn thats leaning, what size cable did you use and how far apart to pull back in position? In fact, I don't even think she believes its a problem. This procedure avoids the need to find fill material, such as rocks or soil, to fill the voids, as the two braces remain in the hole to stabilize the pole/post after it's righted. Add enough tension to the ropes to hold the pole in place. too big too heavy too awkard to reset. The U.S. Patent of Riker (U.S. Pat. Privacy Policy. The pole itself then slides up and over the ground stake. So use your foot or a mallet or a stone or whatever to compact the soil around the poles foot support. After a few weeks of rest, the barn is tackled again. Step 2: Once they cool down, gently place the lamp with something straight (a wall can be a perfect choice) for support. Previously I was only familiar with the term hayloft. Took a suprising amount of dirt.So far, it seems to be working nicely. Be careful though if the lamp is powered. 905,794) discloses a method of forming a concrete base for a fence post, in which wedge-shaped filling pieces are inserted between the post and the wet cement to prevent the cement from cracking due to swelling of the wood as it absorbs water from the wet cement. Hit the bump on the side of the bracket with a mallet to drive it into the ground. (I think I heard one of them say Mooooove it!). Although originally designed for repairing wood privacy fence posts,we have found that it works excellent on wooden mailbox posts as well. 306,657) wedges are used to secure a fence post within a capped tubular supporting sleeve. 2. This birdbath has a single thin support pole with two little curved feet (see photo above) and a metal circle on top to hold a plastic dish for the water. Step 3: Glue the entire pole with a strong glue ( Check the top-rated glue for floor lamps ). Tools needed to do the fence repair. If the pole wants to rotate, use your 4x4 clamp and have someone hold the pole in position. The stuff works pretty well. Its a beautiful pin and post barn. The wedges are not, however, used to align the post in an upright position nor to fill the void between the post and the sleeve. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. 3. E-Z Mender brackets have a bump called a nailing lug jutting out from the side, which has a flat surface approximately the size of a mallet. Some pole types seem to be more likely to lean than others. 4. chief Allen Chwalek. First, you will want to clear away a few inches of debris and dirt surrounding the existing post so that you are able to push the post to an upright standing position. Love the photo of the upper level interior with the dappled light. I have a loose fence post that I would like to fix. All Rights Reserved. Device and Method for Straightening and Supporting a Leaning Pole or Post, BUILDINGS OR LIKE STRUCTURES FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSES; SWIMMING OR SPLASH BATHS OR POOLS; MASTS; FENCING; TENTS OR CANOPIES, IN GENERAL, Towers; Masts or poles; Chimney stacks; Water-towers; Methods of erecting such structures, Means for adjusting the orientation of the post or pole, ABANDONED -- FAILURE TO RESPOND TO AN OFFICE ACTION, Kit for orienting anchor bolt mounted in concrete and method of using the kit, Guard rail structure having auxiliary brace and method for mounting the same, Support fundamental pile and installation guider, Non-boring blow type anchor and soil nailing method using the same, Anchor pile for coupling sign and the like, Post anchor with drive pin and ground displacement wedge, Method of defining crest, and auxiliary tool for defining crest and reinforcement bar, Standing structure and method for signs that do not require on-site welding, Deck using plate file foundation and installing method thereof, Ground anchor for reinforcing guard rail brace and method for mounting the same, Pole basic structure and pole installation method, Method for installing crossing side ditch and foundation block, Retaining wall construction method using backward tension, Apparatus for fixing reinforced retainaing wall block, Information on status: application discontinuation. Gregg, we dont sell any products on our website. The following photos as well as ashort, one-minute, video (the first on AO!) Free format text: I don't think it is set in concrete. Steel or aluminum fence is grimy or stained. When soil shifts, the pressure of the soil against a wall can cause the wall to lean or bow in, which will result in foundation repairs. "If it's a light pole, call the electric company. Sometimes arranging the hooks directly opposite each other can be helpful in distributing the weight more evenly. You may find it easier to place a short 24 or wood block on the ledge to increase the amount of surface area. I am In Love with my born again barn. ps nice internet site. The length of the brace is in the range of 1 to 3 feet, depending on the size of the pole/post to be straightened, with base dimensions of 3 to 6 inches by 6 to 10 inches. Required fields are marked *. If you have been reading my blog, you know that I tend to move things around. If you are putting this into concrete, try to wedge the bracket between the post and the concrete. Watch as David pushes the barn upright and Jim ratchets the come-along to take out the resultant slack. This 2-part expanding foam comes in lightweight, easy-to-carry, easy-to-use kits. My yards soil mix leans strongly toward sand, so keeping feeder poles straight is a challenge. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Looks like you could splay(?) If needed, additional braces are inserted and driven down into the hole around the circumference of the pole. The post came in black, but I see no reason you couldn't repaint it some other color, assuming you could get some good quality paint that would stick. the threads on one section have become stripped and the sections no longer stay together. Lets go up to the haymow! This reinforcer is over 2 feet long and made of black powder-coated 12-gauge steel. The inside top of the H has an additional triangular stability blade to help hold it in the ground without shifting sideways. It will be easier to push the tree straight if the surrounding soil is moist and pliable, so consider wetting the area with a garden hose. (The four-arm pole and the Studio-M birdbath have augur-style twister pieces at the base that screw into the ground. Step 2 - Prepare the Fix-a-Fence Kit. A severe storm could cause the pole to fall, which may cause damage to your property or injure a person. Barns are indeed special places. Heard about the storm, we had one like that a few summers back in northern MI. Wiggle the pole near the base of the lamp. just self supporting. Any advice for me on this? Often feeder poles will begin to lean. That will involve getting a new post light, which is doable if thats the way the job is "supposed" to be done. After 2 years, I just straighted my lamp post this morning. A beam in the center of the wall spans and braces an opening; a cable crucial to the process is centered in this beam. Now bend the front knee (the one with the band around it) by lifting your heel. Insert the Mailbox Post into the Ground. The U.S. Patent of Beard (U.S. Pat. A large bird landing on it hard can make the birdbath lean. Unsubscribe any time. Diagonal bracing stabilizes the interior wall at the T. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The service requires full cookie support in order to view this website. The angularity of the barn quilts reflects the movement accomplished by Davids efforts; they are no longer aligned with the siding. I did that once, not again please. Thanks! https://www.bmkcorporation.com/pr. Step 2. Birds Choice Fly-Through Platform Feeders (post about mounting them on poles), Want to read more posts about birds? This is where a really good pole baffle, correctly positioned, can help keep uninvited guests off a feeder. Make your 4x4 clamp. Next, slowly pour about a gallon of water into the hole and soak all the way through the dry concrete. www.utilityproducts.com is using a security service for protection against online attacks. Good luck! www.utilityproducts.com is using a security service for protection against online attacks. To solve the problem, you first need to consider why your pole is tilting. plus you can move this pole if ever necessary, I was given this advice by the salesman who sold me a light pole over. I also have the Erva pole with four arms that extend out from the center (photo above). I know there is torque and other things I am not thinking of. This will allow the footing to move . I like poles with an augur type base that screw deeply into the ground. No. So your metal post isnt rusted out but is leaning and a bit loose? You will be redirected once the validation is complete. I don't think my mother can afford to have it professionally replaced. It truly works! 5. Dont have any great ideas on straightening though. . Do you have a challenging soil mix? In the following sections, specific embodiments of the present invention will be described in some detail. (I dont currently have a picture of the H-shaped base, but you can check them out on Ervas websites Premium Shepherds Staffs page. Sorry. The blogs focus is on backyard bird watching, especially solutions for problems that come up with feeding backyard birds. The fact that your electrical utility ran power to that poles means it passed inspection at the time it was installed. The present invention relates to the general field of devices and/or methods used to install and support poles or posts in the ground, and more particularly to devices and/or methods for straightening a leaning pole/post and stabilizing and supporting it in an upright position after it has been straightened. A wooden post can become unseated and wobbly, or it can be rotted at the base. Its the same one seen in the seventh photo! The wood should hold your tree in place and keep it from leaning to one side. Aug 11, 2020. This foundation tube shoudl be about four (4) times the height of the total length. They instead have a simple narrow ground stake anchor piece to hold the larger hollow feeder pole in place and straight (see above). Well done! We are frozen now but also next to a wet land so . The U.S. Patent of Singley (U.S. Pat. Though in shadow, barn quilts attached to the side of the barn can be seen. GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Driving around Greensboro you . But poles dont always stay straight. anchors and guy wire on each side of the trailer. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. How firm is the soil? very slight I think its both the sleeve moved and the pole is bent. The dish is light-weight and shallow, so it doesnt hold a ton of water, but the weight of the full dish still makes the birdbath a bit top-heavy in my sandy soil. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. just straighten and tamp with foot. If you have concrete surrounding your post, this anchor will still wedge in between the wood post and concrete, providing very solid support. And just like that, there are hundreds of ways to keep your shepherd's hook from falling over. I don't remember where I found/bought this one, but I've had it for years and used it frequently to get those T-shaped steel fence posts out of the ground. Thanks. Clothes washer fills but will not agitate. When the post clears the hole, finish . Here, however, the wedge has the function simply of enabling the post to be more easily driven into the ground. The exposed roots must be undamaged and relatively undisturbed. Homeowners sent KPRC 2 pictures of a utility pole leaning at the site of the leak in January, seemingly from the . Everyone is curious about whats going on! www.utilityproducts.com is using a security service for protection against online attacks. You'll have to hammer the tube to reach that mark. Neighbors loaned their front loader for this special occasion! He looks happy, doesnt he? Promise!). If the base of the flagpole was set into place using concrete, the flagpole will often need to be cut away from its base. Drilling again will make sure the hole is created again even if it was covered by a little margin. The U.S. Patent of Crego (U.S. Pat. Typically a form is used on the top of the foundation to help finish the base. Check that the pole is straight with a level, and make tension adjustments where necessary. You must log in or register to reply here. Remove as much soil as possible from under the exposed roots and gently straighten the tree. As with setting a new pole, foam used . The weight you are asking the pole to hold. To solve the problem, you first need to consider why your pole is tilting. You would think once it's pulled over, if it's not set in concrete you could get it back, or most of the way back, by hand. In addition to the cable passing through the center of the barn, Jim has attached chains and cables to each corner. Enter your email address to receive email notifications of new posts. Power drill. Thanks for documenting all this on my barn! Just be certain to tamp down the dirt and soil all around the entire pole and tamp down firmly. We only recommend products that we feel are quality-made and that we buy ourselves (see the reviews on Amazon). If you have two basketball pole sections stuck together you can also: 1. I don't know if I can attach a line to it an pull it back via a come-along to an anchor that would support it. If it had been concreted in theres little you can do. Even weight-balanced poles want to lean that way. Back-fill some of the soil if you used a shovel or spade. This process is automatic. All the stuff at the "big box" stores like Lowes or Home Depot. The post light in my yard has started getting loose and leaning. I'd start by calling the power company, most of the time utilities will come out for an inspection for free if it's a safety issue. Ive found the poles with the least tendency to lean have the weight of the feeder(s) distributed most evenly on the pole. 2 Straightening a Leaning Post Set in the Soil. No matter how beautiful your actual mailbox may be, its beauty is tainted by the leaning post. Birdseed & Binoculars is the blog of Nancie Waterman. There's a lot of anti-white (not to mention anti-Asian) discrimination among black people. Once the wood is in place, tighten the screws. 4,598,512) teaches a semi-tubular support bracket with a wedge-shaped driving member for reinforcing a post that has rotted below ground level. However, you may find that using only one bracket will suffice, depending on your post and the ground conditions. If the lamp has been recently used, wait until the bulb has reached room temperature before attempting any repairs. When I first looked, I wondered where you would get the mass needed for the shove. So cement wouldnt be an attractive option for me. Leave adequate room to get the flat side of a hammer between the end of the screw and the basketball hoop pole. The process began in mid-September. 7,003,919) discloses a post mounting assembly in which a tubular socket is set in concrete within the post hole, and a tapered half-cylindrical wedge member fills the gap between the socket and the post. and ratchets the come-along as slack is created. www.utilityproducts.com is using a security service for protection against online attacks. This city boy had to look up the definition of mow. In this case our installer temporarily removed some sod to gain access to the flagpole sleeve. Looking for someone with barn straighting skills around brighton illinois have cash 618 792 3577. The first obvious approach is to fix the R&D Dry Pipe, manifold and buy (or make) another bracket. 2-" Exterior wood screws. The following photos were taken today, and show how further wind- and gravity-based deterioration has been stymied: Using salvaged lumber, Jim created a network of diagonal bracing throughout the interior. If you purchase a shepherds hook pole, plunge it into the ground and then hang a single heavy feeder on its arm, the feeder is likely to over-balance the pole and there is a decent chance it will develop a tilt. David drives it to the barn and positions it for the first push. I got back last night. I had sleeved it into the ground but cant pull out of the sleeve at this point. It looks like a privately owned pole, which means she may have to pay the utility to take care of it. Home Bird Feeders, Baffles & Poles Poles Stop Bird Feeder Pole Leaning. This will work regardless if your post is set in concrete, gravel, or dirt. Use an empty container to put the cement and the pole. Im in Dayton, Ohio and really want to preserve this barn since it was built around 1919. On the other side, where new studs would be installed inside the barn, several loft floor boards were removed to make room. This task is easily accomplished using a simple product called the E-Z Mender. Insert the post into the hole and add soil to keep it in place. Give it some outdoor time where it can get a breeze, 3. The big end is buried 5'.