Whats the point of having a voice if you're gonna be silent in those moments you shouldn't be? It means you go on even though you're scared. Thats the hate theyre giving us, baby, a system designed against us. I hope somebody had the talk with Khalil., ~Angie Thomas, The Hate U Give, Pages 20, 21. They're not forgetting. Chapter 12 Quotes. We cant be friends anymore. Her mouth drops open, and she pouts. This jerk actually said theyre better warmed up in the microwave. Eww, I say, instead of my usual Ill, and Maya goes, Are you serious? I know, right? says Hailey. Steven Magee, I can start the rain. | About Us Anyway, you got the old one?, My son loved working in the neighborhood, One-Fifteens father claims. Ive seen it happen over and over again: a black person gets killed just for being black, and all hell breaks loose. Well send you tons of inspiration to help you find a hidden gem in your local area or plan a big day out. One of the pictures they've shown on the news. He points out that the rivalry between gangs is only detrimental to Garden Heights as a whole. Starrs nationally televised interview is a pivotal moment in her transformation from being too afraid and guilty to speak up to Khalil, to leading the protests against his death in the streets of Garden Heights. LitCharts Teacher Editions. Whats wrong with saying his life matters too? His life always matters more! My voice is gruff, and my throat is tight. When I was twelve, my parents had two talks with me. Meaning what society give us as youth, it bites them in the ass when we wild out. Hoedom is universal., Theres Hailey, sitting on top of it, having a heated discussion with curly-haired, dimpled Luke. Daddy also said there's nothing more dangerous than when that rage is activated. There are frequent drive-bys, such as the one that killed Natasha. Want to see? Enjoy reading and share 9 famous quotes about Hate U Give Hailey with everyone. Watched him grow up with you. The one you had before we bought you that expensive-ass fruit one? | Privacy Policy ", 14. Do you think it matters wether Khalil was a drug dealer or a king lord? Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. dusty, soulless and dead. This debut novel is a YA political book that revolves around a young woman named Starr and her struggles with racism and police brutality. I think we all wait for that one time though, that one time when it ends right., Good-byes hurt the most when the other persons already gone., I hope none of them ask about my spring break. The Hate U Give Literary Devices For the chapters and page numbers listed below, identify and explain the . Angie Thomas and her bone-chilling portrayal, as reflected in the Starr Carter quotes, raises questions, it provokes thought and brings about a stir in one's heart, you will be silent in those moments. Selena Gomez threw her support behind BFF Taylor Swift after footage resurfaced of Hailey Bieber (ne Baldwin) seemingly . PDFs of modern translations of every Shakespeare play and poem. Maverick, on the other hand, doesnt trust the police at all and so assumes they will try to cover up any wrongdoing and maybe even find a way to blame Starr. It's my birthday party at this laser tag place downtown. Error rating book. Starr is the only one who knows what really happened that night. The book became an immediate young adult bestseller and was adapted into a movie shortly after its release. Trust me, my school has hoes too. But shes afraid it could destroy her community and endanger her life. These 'The Hate U Give' book quotes will take you through the deepest layers of how minorities exist. Kahlihs death becomes a national story. The shots, the look on Natasha's face. Share. On the one hand, they both want to help the other people in their community. I've tried to forget it, but I remember everything. Their friendship unravels over the course of the novel, however. We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. Be roses that grow in the concrete., ~Angie Thomas, The Hate U Give, Last page of the Acknowledgments, Your voices matter, your dreams matter, your lives matter. But Im not giving up on a better ending., People are realizing and shouting and marching and demanding. Funny. Instead, as Ms. Ofrah points out, Starrs voice is the most effective weapon she has in fighting injustice. The movie has strong performances by Amandla Stenberg, Russell Hornsby, Regina Hall, KJ Apa, and Anthony Mackie.It is important to specifically call attention to Amandla and Russell in particular because they breathed life into these amazingly written . The ironic thing is though, at Williamson I don't have to play it cool Im cool by default because I'm one of the only black kids there. It has a lot of memorable quotes that we all can learn from. I can never, ever let anyone think Im ghetto., Daddy once told me theres a rage passed down to every black man from his ancestors, born the moment they couldnt stop the slave masters from hurting their families. | About Us The Hate U Give Quotes With Page Numbers help you reference your favorite quotes.. Throughout the entire argument with Starr, Hailey expresses shock and dismay that a friend would call her racist, as if racist were a slur. Bullets go where they wanna go. ", 8. I promise., To every kid in Georgetown and in all the Gardens of the world: your voices matter, your dreams matter, your lives matter. When Khalil told me what it meant I kinda understood it. The book discusses many taboo topics, while at the same time relates to the real world by confronting many social issues in the book and connecting them to real life. The last thing theyd ever expect is some unity around here. It isn't that Starr feels "too good". Theyre not forgetting. In The Souls of Black Folk, W.E.B. I cant change where I come from or what Ive been through, so why should I be ashamed of what makes me, me? Id ask him if he wished he shot me too.. You can live anywhere in the world and still contribute your quota to support a movement. Drugs come from somewhere, and they're destroying our community," he says. With no other high-paying opportunities available to a young black man living in Garden Heights, Khalil felt forced to turn to drug dealing, just as DeVante felt forced towards the gangs to find a kind of family and sense of community. Free Morning Routine Checklist (15 Morning Rituals), 50 The Hate U Give Quotes With Page Numbers, The Hate U Give Quotes Part 1: When It Happens, The Hate U Give Quotes With Page Numbers Chapter 1, The Hate U Give Quotes With Page Numbers Chapter 2, Quotes From The Hate U Give With Page Numbers Chapter 3, The Hate U Give Quotes And Page Numbers Chapter 5, The Hate U Give Quotes With Page Numbers Chapter 8, The Hate U Give Quotes With Page Numbers Chapter 9, The Hate U Give Quotes With Page Numbers Chapter 10, The Hate U Give Quotes With Page Numbers Chapter 11, The Hate U Give Quotes With Page Numbers Chapter 12, The Hate U Give Quotes With Page Numbers Chapter 14, The Hate U Give Quotes With Page Numbers Chapter 15, The Hate U Give Part 2: Five Weeks After Quotes With Page Numbers Chapter 16, The Hate U Give Quotes With Page Numbers Chapter 17, The Hate U Give Quotes With Page Numbers Chapter 18, The Hate U Give Quotes With Page Numbers Chapter 19, The Hate U Give Part 3: Eight Weeks After, Quotes With Page Numbers Chapter 20, The Hate U Give Part 4: Ten Weeks After, Quotes With Page Numbers Chapter 21, The Hate U Give Part 5: Thirteen Weeks After It The Decision, Quotes With Page Numbers Chapter 23, The Hate U Give Quotes With Page Numbers Chapter 24, The Hate U Give Quotes With Page Numbers Chapter 26, Resting Heart Rate Chart | What is a Good, Normal, or High RHR, 80 Fahrenheit 451 Quotes With Page Numbers, 85 The Great Gatsby Quotes With Page Numbers. Ill never be quiet. International House, 24 Holborn Viaduct,London, EC1A 2BN, United Kingdom, 2023 Book Analysis. The Hate U Give is an award-winning young adult novel by Angie Thomas. All rights reserved. with Hailey in . ", 2. It doesnt matter who is involved or the pressure we might be feeling. It's about way more than that though. ", 11. In his car, Khalil explains to Starr the meaning of Tupac's anagram for "THUG LIFE: The Hate U Give Little Infants Fucks Everybody." He explains that the hate that society shows to black children makes them more susceptible to their own hate, and that that hate creates more problems and affects society when those children grow up. When you buy through the links on our site we may earn a commission. Its even about that little boy in 1955 who nobody recognized at firstEmmett., Once upon a time there was a hazel-eyed boy with dimples. Thats the hate theyre giving us, baby, a system designed against us. For many years, Starr, Maya, and Hailey have been best friends, with Hailey being the leader of the group. I was ashamed of Garden Heights and everything in it. If my pops were here, hed say youve fallen into the trap of the white standard., ~Angie Thomas, The Hate U Give, Page 407 (first appearance), You can destroy wood and brick, but you cant destroy a movement., I cant change where I come from or what Ive been through, so why should I be ashamed of what makes me, me?, Once upon a time there was a hazel-eyed boy with dimples. Hailey pulls out the media photograph of Khalil and a picture of Khalil at Starr's twelfth birthday party. Maya is a close friend of Starr 's at Williamson. Uncle Carlos, being a cop, is conditioned to place more confidence in the police and their work because he knows how hard the job can be. The key is to never stop doing right. If my pops were here, he'd say you've fallen into the trap of the white standard.. The Relationships: the Building Blocks of Life. The Hate U Give is a bestselling book of Angie Thomas. It means you go on even though youre scared. Be the roses that grow in the concrete ." - Acknowledgments. Complete your free account to access notes and highlights. Get it? The Brendas cant get jobs unless theyre clean, and they cant pay for rehab unless they got jobs. This quote is telling us to be strong and stand up for what is right. She talks with Lulu Garcia-Navarro about her book . This quotation expresses the pervasiveness of police violence and mistreatment of minorities. As much as I say I dont have to choose which Starr I am with Chris, maybe without realizing it, I have to an extent. No. "Im cool by default because Im one of the only black kids there. ", 9. We were so silly for that., Khalil is watching me. This article contains incorrect information, This article doesnt have the information Im looking for, 20+ Best 'The Hate U Give' Quotes By Angie Thomas, 41 Quotes From Frankenstein For Your Gothic Literature Studies, 32 Richard Siken Quotes From The Inspiring 'Crush' Poet, 30 The Purpose Driven Life Quotes From The Famous Bible Study, 70 Best Salon Quotes And Sayings To Leave You Feeling Beautiful. I move my shoulder so her head isn't resting on it. If I were them, Im not sure Id make a much better one.. When you fight, you put yourself out there, not caring who you hurt or if you'll get hurt. These important 'The Hate U Give' quotes are important in every sense of the word, as they meander through the complex and minuscule details of man's social existence, of segregation, of bias, and of oblivion. Hailey hands me two pictures. Ahntastic Adventures in Silicon Valley Hailey denies being racist and gets angry at Starr for suggesting that she would be, but eventually her, Starr, and Maya break ties. In the book, we see Lisa tell this quote to Starr when she was blaming herself for the Garden Heights strife after the first night of riots. Lisa shared the story of her birth with her which was comforting. Bring out your notebooks for the following quotes will not just take you through a reading experience but a learning experience. Kidadl is supported by you, the reader. According to Maverick, it was the dearth of opportunities for African Americans that created ghettos full of violence and drug dealing. Who do I tell you that you have to fear? Nobody but God., You still got that old laptop? Analysis: Chapters 14 & 15. Maybe that's why the book still remains banned from many institutional libraries. I choose every word carefully and make sure I pronounce them well. Lydia Davis, There is nothing so fatal to character as half finished tasks. Be the roses that grow in the concrete. Starr Carter. She knew that she could use her voice to fight back against those who wanted to paint Khalil as a thug. Starrs parents must talk to Starr about how to behave around police as a minority when she is just twelve years old. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas is a hard-hitting novel that is inspired by the Black Lives Matter Movement. I actually agree with Luke, Jess says. Starr and Hailey are bonded because of their love of basketball, but they eventually drift apart after Starr begins being . The world called him a thug., Its also about Oscar. Create a list of books you want then share it with family and friends. The key is to never stop doing right., Right. An Asian American, Maya later tells Starr that Hailey has made racist comments to her too about eating cat at Thanksgiving. Dont make any sudden moves. Her brief was to be invisible, and she considered herself perfectly qualified for the job. Monica, I've had 79 to 80 years of show business. Jason Lohman, The only ironic thing about that song is that it's called 'Ironic' and it is written by a woman who doesn't know what irony is. That's the problem. Surprisingly, everythings all right., People say misery loves company, but I think its like that with anger too., DeVantes got a point. Ive already made my choice.. Pac spells out Fucks because that kid is looking dead in his face. Nice and Loving Likes the fresh prince of Bel Air even though it's older than his parents Tries his best to understand why there are certain thing he shouldn't say Seems to actually love Starr despite the condom Cool dude He loves high school musical and every time he plays basketball he sings . Yet she also knew that a single person can affect a movement. Hailey texted me immediately after, freaking out. I let her have her way a lot. That's thug life. "People like us in situations like this become hashtags, but they rarely get justice. Still do. All Rights Reserved. We know the truth, thats not what we want We want justice. "When you fight, you put yourself out there, not caring who you hurt or if you'll get hurt. Both the book and the movie are phenomenal. You can destroy wood and brick, but you cant destroy a movement. However, theyre aware of the dangers of Garden Heights. Early in the book, Khalil and Starr listen to Tupac. It is a morality tale of how anger begets more anger, disguised as a coming-of-age tale, which in turn is disguised as an angry case of injustice. I hope somebody had the talk with Khalil.". 9. She doesnt know how to speak about Khalils death, as the story will affect how her white friends will see her. Brave doesnt mean youre not scared, Starr, she says. I knew it mustve been serious. The 2018 film The Hate U Give is based on the book of the same title written by Angie Thomas.Both the book and the movie are phenomenal. "Your voices matter, your dreams matter, your lives matter. In the beginning of the novel, Starr was angry at Khalil for choosing to get involved in selling drugs. Starr-Starr, you do whatever they tell you to do, he said. And he is also saying that the hate spreads and touches everyone in a bad way. Be the roses that grow in the concrete., [sc_fs_faq html=true headline=h3 img= question=Whats the point of having a voice if youre gonna be silent page number? img_alt= css_class=] This quote from The Hate U Give is on Page 252, Chapter 14. Khalil. I think this is asking for your personal experience and opinion. Garden Heights is susceptible to poverty and violence, and because Lisa and Maverick have a strong family bond and serve as mentors to young people like DeVante, they want to remain in the neighborhood to continue this assistance. Earn weekly rewards. Starr, Part 1, Chapter 1. ", 19. Baby, you my everything, you all I ever wanted,, Hailey glances from him to me. . Did he realize that if he does become a hashtag, some people will only see him as a drug dealer? The inappropriate language used in the novel isnt constant but includes one fk, word and a few uses of st,. But moving out of the neighborhood wont mean youre not real and it wont mean you cant help this community. Slave masters thought they were making a difference in black peoples lives too. My students love how organized the handouts are and enjoy tracking the themes as a class., Requesting a new guide requires a free LitCharts account. All Rights Reserved. The way the content is organized, LitCharts makes it easy to find quotes by But she had to be strong and not bow to pressure and quit. Theyre for the living. The Hate U Give Quotes With Page Numbers help you reference your favorite quotes. Chris Bryant is the white boyfriend of Starr Carter. Thats the problem! Starr!, Whats the point of having a voice if youre gonna be silent in those moments you shouldnt be?, Thats the problem. It means you go on even though youre scared., Brave doesnt mean youre not scared, Starr, she says. Or Butter Beer? Instant downloads of all 1699 LitChart PDFs It also speaks to the fact that once violence is set in motion, it is often impossible to control. The Hate U Give | Official Trailer [HD] | 20th Century FOX. Who or what defines 'normal' to you? ", 16. She mattered. I look at Ms. Ofrah, but I can barely see her for all the tears. They weren't thrilled about lugging Bob the Titan, too, but I didn't have the heart to leave him behind, especially after he noticed my shoulder wound, said, "Owie", and healed it with a touch. Daddy has the biggest mouth of anybody I know, and if he said to be quiet, I needed to be quiet. She understands that the movement is bigger than her, being just a single. 20 of the best book quotes from The Hate U Give, People are realizing and shouting and marching and demanding. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong. Racial injustice is common in the modern-day world, it mostly happens to people of colour. Funny how it works with white kids though. If you liked our suggestions for 'The Hate U Give' Quotes then why not take a look at 'The Handmaid's Tale' quotes, or 'The Kite Runner' quotes. He argued that I wasnt too young to get arrested or shot. "Funerals arent for dead people. If I'd compiled my bestsellers list later, this novel would have been on both that list and the spotlight list.. His life mattered. Im sick of Butter Beer and corny family photos with wands. Holy shit. The movie has strong performances by Amandla Stenberg, Russell Hornsby, Regina Hall, Kj Apa, and Anthony Mackie.It is important to specifically call attention to Amandla and Russell in particular because they breathed life into these amazingly written characters. Author Angie Thomas Cover artist Debra Cartwright Country United States Publisher Balzer + Bray Publication date February 28, 2017 Pages 444 ISBN 978--06-249853-3 Preceded by Concrete Rose The Hate U Give is a 2017 young adult novel by Angie Thomas. Hailey Grant. I think thats the most important part.. Cite this Quote. We assign a color and icon like this one. Thats Thug Life.. Starr doesnt condone violent techniques, such as rioting and looting, although she understands the anger that such violence stems from. Whoever the author.Discover new and exciting books to dive into with our Book Explorer Tool. You want out?, When the Khalils get arrested for selling drugs, they either spend most of their life in prison, another billion-dollar industry, or they have a hard time getting a real job and probably start selling drugs again. You have subscribed to: Remember that you can always manage your preferences or unsubscribe through the link at the foot of each newsletter. Starr is a sixteen-year-old Black high school student who spends her life divided between the poor, primarily black neighborhood of Garden Heights and Williamson Prep, a wealthy, primarily white school. Thats part of being Williamson Starr, I guess. No. Starr feels invisible and uncomfortable at the party. The other talk was about what to do if a cop stopped me. Theres also a little bit of drinking and smoking by both teens and adults and a discussion of drug dealing. Whatever the genre. Hailey Grant is a pupil in Williamson Prep and a former friend of Starr Carter and Maya Yang. Hailey is Starr 's oldest friend at Williamson, the two having grown close when Hailey's mother died of cancer around same time that Natasha was killed. Even when she climbs on the police car, Starr is still nervous and unsure if the right words will come to her. I can use some slang, but not too much slang, some attitude, but not too much attitude, so I'm not a sassy black girl. I have to watch what I say and how I say it, but I can't sound white., Anyway, Chris, Seven says, DeVante's got a point. It is through your support of visiting Book Analysis that we can support charities, such as Teenage Cancer Trust. Two weeks later, no verdict has been announced. 12. Here, Starr recounts how talking to Devante helped her realized the dilemma people in his position face, and to understand why they made the choice they did. The book The Hate You Give is written by the author Angie Thomas. The novel shifts our focus away from the acts of racism toward the reasons behind those acts. Philando. [/sc_fs_faq]. The drug dealer. If only it will be enforced very well. But even if Id grown up in it, I wouldn't understand fighting over streets nobody owns. My friends? But I swear I wanna cuss Khalil out. By joining Kidadl you agree to Kidadls Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and consent to receiving marketing communications from Kidadl. Truly, no matter how much hate you give, the tormented voice can no longer be shunned. He said Thug Life stood for The Hate U Give Little Infants Fucks Everybody. We did all that stuff last night because we were pissed, and it fucked all of us. Starrs blog "The Khalil I Know" reflects this principle: that even though Khalils death was tragic, he should not be seen as a stereotype or a statistic, but as a human being with his own hopes, fears, desires, and goals. Theyre for the living., looked me in the eye and, said, Sometimes you can do everything right and things will still go wrong. So she made a good choice of words and some powerful words. And youre doing that., This is exactly what They expect you to do, Momma says. Basically, Williamson Starr doesn't give anyone a reason to call her ghetto. They get into it through peer pressure or necessity, which, of course, is not an excuse. We know that you can use these quotes in any place to bring a difference and the impact they have says a lot about our society as a whole. Selling for $92,990 plus on-road costs, the dual-cab, two-wheel drive ute . Exactly. Both Lisa and Starr understand that the investigation will fit into a larger narrative of leniency for police violence. The social image painted by Angie Thomas projects its way through all existential conflicts and stands out. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas completely fulfills this criteria, and as a result, it should be taught in the grade 9 curriculum. I started when I was 5 with a man called Tom Mix. Thats like being ashamed of myself.. T-H-U-G L-I-F-E. Hailey's fixation on the word "racist" allows her to avoid taking responsibility for her words. Ne-ver. A hairbrush. 'The Hate U Give': A Critique of Modern Day American Society. I don't know how she'll survive without my shoulder when she graduates in a few months.". That's how they see him. Hailey Grant is a pupil in Williamson Prep and a former friend of Starr Carter and Maya Yang. If someone hurts me in any way, theyre automatically on her shit list., My nana likes to say that spring brings love. Validate reading with our Dynamic Quiz System. Be roses that grow in the concrete. Khalil wears a smirk, gripping a handful of money and throwing up a sideways peace sign. I should be used to my two worlds colliding, but I never know which Starr I should be. In addition, this quote points out the importance of not forgetting violence. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published. That shit is flown into our communities, but I dont know anybody with a private jet. Privacy Policy, discussions for a society wrestling with a lack of empathy, understanding, and tolerance, https://bookanalysis.com/angie-thomas/the-hate-u-give/quotes/. And you're doing that.". Neither of them thought they had much of a choice. Kolkatta-based Sriya likes reading books, watching movies, and traveling. Aiyana. Starr made this statement during her television interview as a way to get to the truth of the matter. It would be easy to quit if it was just about me, Khalil, that night, and that cop. Transcript. Thats the hate theyre giving us, a system designed against us. resource to ask questions, find answers, and discuss thenovel. Aight?. Kenya has always recognized this duplicity, calling Starr out for pretending to be someone that she really isnt. The flashbacks and panic are classic signs of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a mental condition commonly associated with soldiers returning from war or someone who has witnessed a very traumatic incident. Lisas argument reflects the internal struggle that both Lisa and Maverick feel about their decision to move out of Garden Heights. Her debut novel, The Hate U Give, is a #1 New York Times Best Seller. Chinese manufacturer LDV's eT60 has been hailed as Australia's first pure electric dual cab ute and the first of its kind. In this book, the main character, Starr is trying to get her best friend, Khalil justice after officer One-Fifteen . "Keep your hands visible. It's even about that little boy in 1955 who nobody recognized at firstEmmett. 2. In essence, this means that institutionalized racism is a system designed to oppress African Americans. [Tupac] explains Thug Life like Khalil said he did. Momma fussed and told Daddy I was too young for that. Is it like Facebook? In a world where extroverts were celebrated, she was an introvert. I didnt know a dead person could be charged in his own murder. Sometimes you can do everything right and things will still go wrong. In the end, though, Starr simply speaks from the heart, and her impassioned plea for the protestors to focus on Khalils life rather than his death resonates throughout the crowd. Record what books your kids are reading. This book is an important and timely reminder that everyones voice matters and can make a difference in the fight for justice. (Source: Angie Thomas) Her family, her background, and every event that has occurred in her life have shaped her into the person she now is, so to be ashamed of those events would equate to being ashamed of her very self. Hailey is described as being manipulative, controlling, racist, and ignorant, being inconsiderate of Maya Yang's and Starr Carter's culture. In essence, this means that institutionalized racism is a system designed to oppress African Americans. Thats Thug Life., Daddy once told me theres a rage passed down to every black man from his ancestors, born the moment they couldnt stop the slave masters from hurting their families. 1. Being two different people is so exhausting. The Hate U Give Hardcover dustjacket (2017, 1st ed.) Why does Kenya say that Starr thinks shes too good for a Garden party?. Daddy also said theres nothing more dangerous than when that rage is activated., Intentions always look better on paper than in reality., Sometimes you can do everything right and things will still go wrong. Listen! Our, "Sooo much more helpful thanSparkNotes. Although Starr says this in reference to Kenya, it can be seen as a foreshadowing of Khalil's fate. Kahlih's death becomes a national story. Back and forth, back and forth. I've mastered it. Ive tweeted RIP hashtags, reblogged pictures on Tumblr, and signed every petition out there. Khalil lived! ", 4. The novel 'The Hate U Give' is written by Angie Thomas and is a story of a black girl named Starr who is between two worlds; the black community she lives in and the expensive prep school she attends. Lost in her own fictional world, she became each and every one of her heroines and endowed them with qualities she herself coveted, namely courage, communication skills and coordination. The Hate U Give essays are academic essays for citation. As much as I say I don't have to choose which Starr I am with Chris, maybe without realizing it, I have to an extent. Demons love to masquerade as dead people and deceive the living as if it is their loved ones. Refine any search. Now On Digital: http://bit.ly/THUG-DigitalNow On Blu-ray: http://bit.ly/THUG-BRDVDStarr Carter is constantly switching between two worlds: the poor, mostly b. I think thats the most important part., I was making good money too, and it was honestly hard to consider walking away from it., Everybody wants to talk about how Khalil died, I say. GradeSaver "The Hate U Give Quotes and Analysis". Another conflict is her half-brother and friend living with an abusive father who is the neighborhoods most dangerous gang leader. The world called him a thug. The other picture, he's twelve. More books than SparkNotes. A smile tries to form on his lips, but he shakes his head.