I had remembered going to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk when I was a kid so I was excited to go back. In those early days, abalone harvesting became very popular when the Chinese realized the lucrative business of harvesting fish and started commercializing seafood. I only have three more posts to go after this one. With binoculars you can see sea otters and sea lions. (10/12/18), "Thank you Kelsey for your words of advise. Big Sur is one of my favorite places IN THE WORLD (hands down) and one of my favorite road trips from San Francisco. Im going next year to visit a friend and we plan on road tripping so Im hoping Ill finally get to go! The drive was nice and pretty straight forward and just took a little over an hour and a half. About 30 minutes into your drive is the first quick pull-off in your Big Sur itinerary. 10 Things You Should Know About The Brando Resort in Tetiaroa, A First-timer's Trip to Australia; Sydney, the Whitsundays and the Central Coast, Paradise in the Dominican Republic: The Samana Peninsula, Explore the North Coast of the Dominican Republic, A 3-Day Itinerary for Charleston, South Carolina, How to Spend 3 Days in Nashville, TN - A Girls' Trip, Balboa Island in Newport Beach,California, Carmel, Monterey & Big Sur - A Perfect 3-Day Itinerary, Mission San Carlos Borromeo del Rio Carmelo, "I've actually been meaning to take the kids on this road trip. Price: $25-100. Proving Travel is Possible with a Full-Time 9-5, last Updated: June 6, 2022big sur california central coast pacific coast highway. So exactly where is big sur located? We then stopped atPerkins Park spontaneously because of the unique Cyprus trees, the rocky shoreline and the purple flowers everywhere! There are warm fires all over the place and lights hanging in the trees. Whether youre driving down the entirety of the California coast or just making the short drive from SF, youre in luck. Pick up snacks beforehand to have in the car during the drive so you dont need to shell out an astronomical amount of cash at the Big Sur convenience stores every time you feel like noshing. It took my breath away. If seeing a whale is on your bucket list, Fishermans Wharf is where you need to be. Pafoua is the author and creator of Her Wanderful World. Small and cozy and rustic and delicious. I think you. Youll be able to come back to a small town and enjoy a night on the town after you explore the nature scenes of Big Sur. The hottest month in Monterey is September when high temperatures are around 67F and lows are 55F. Likes Comments. Swimming is not recommended at this beach because there are a lot of rock formations that could cause harm if a strong wave pulled a swimmer the wrong way (and there were a lot of waves crashing through the rock formations), but you could also stay near the sandy area and dip your feet in the Pacific Ocean. Psst: If youre visiting in early spring, dont miss Calla Lily Valley right near Garrapata Beach (different location than the Bluff Trail). I have to say, I was thoroughly impressed with your itinerary. This will probably whet your appetite for more, so dont miss the famous Monterey Bay Aquarium as well. Read on for my favorite Big Sur activities, where to stay, what to do in Big Sur, and (most importantly), what and where to eat! Its so nice to just be surrounded by nature and kinda forget about the rest of the world for a little while! The American Tin Cannery Suite 122 125 Ocean view Blvd Pacific Grove, CA 93950 831-747-1677 _____ 17 Mile Drive 2106 Sunset Drive Pacific Grove, CA 93950 831-717-4912 _____ Pedego Electric Bikes 143 Crossroads Blvd, Carmel, CA 831-293-7063. It was a quick ride to Fishermans Wharf and we set up our bikes with a lock on a bike rack. If the history doesnt draw you in, Point Lobos is also home to abundant wildlife, including 20 species of mammals such as gray foxes and mountain lions, various species of birds like the acorn woodpecker peregrine falcon, and of course, many species of marine life including sea otters, sea lions, and whales. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. Day Two So if youre visiting the area (or live in the city and dont have access to a car), a car rental will be a necessity! Seeing these trees was such a surreal experience! Thank you! When booking your Monterey to Big Sur car rental online, I recommend using Discover Cars. It was nice to arrive at the hotel after a long day and just relax for a minute and eat some snacks! From SF, Big Sur is about 2.5 hours south. And just one reason its on every list of the most beautiful places in California. It was going on right when we arrived at the hotel. A short 15 minute walk along the cliffs with beautiful views of the coast and even a waterfall! Aubrie is a Utah based blogger/content creator. Hi Elena! I discuss Nepenthe below as a must-visit stop on your Big Sur itinerary! And yes, theres so much history in this little area. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for California CA Big Sur Carmel Monterey Coastline Postcard Old Vintage Card View at the best online prices at eBay! 3 hours 20 minutes (150 miles) Difficulty level: Easy Stay and Play in Monterey. We will be coming here mid-May and will definitely use your advice. Sea Salt & Fog | National Park Itineraries & California Travel Planning 2. I heard from a local that even though Carmel is small, there is always something new to discover and I can definitely believe it. Basically, nature at its finest. Thanks for all the recommendations. Be sure and check out the view from both sides of the street, but be careful when crossing. Book lover? On the other hand, Big Sur is full of naturebeaches, hiking trails, and beautiful cliffside views. Where did you drive from? 3-day Big Sur itinerary. Be warned, traffic can slow along this stretch (especially south bound) during the summer, so its best to visit Bixby in the early AM! When you are ready, continue on your drive towards Pfeiffer Beach. You are able to do wine tastings inside or if you dont drink, there is also a full service restaurant as well. On the opposite side of the road, there is a dirt road known as Old Coast Road. In Old Downtown Monterey, youll find over 400 shops and restaurants lining the main streets as well. Click here to skip back to the top. However, you can also stop at a local restaurant for lunch too! Or Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey to San Francisco. All the views all gorgeous on the coast, but these two have ample parking and suuuuuch great views of the coast all around! To discover all these buildings, be like the yellow brick road and follow the Path of Historys yellow tiles on the sidewalk. Note that parking is rather limited and costs $10, with restrooms available. Read on for the most perfect Big Sur road trip itinerary! Havent had enough of the great outdoors on your Big Sur road trip just yet? End: Mammoth Lakes. One of the best features of the hotel was the Happy Hour that happened every day from 4-6. AirBnB: Due to the higher-than-normal cost of accommodation in Big Sur, you may want to check out AirBnB for a less expensive option, many even with those ocean views were all swooning over (without the super hefty price tag). Morning You may even see an orca and/or dolphin off the coast! Youve really thought through everything you need to know before planning a trip. Its such a pretty area! Yes please! The region is 90 miles long and begins south of Monterey and Santa Cruz. I always love getting cheese plates! Expect a daytime high around 64F in March, and nighttime lows around 47F. Don't be me. Theres typically some traffic, so if youre just driving through, expect it to take at least 3 hours. With more ocean views than you ever thought possible, eco-friendly and luxurious hotel stays, wooded hiking trails and nature for days, I can never get enough of this stretch of the coastline. This weekend itinerary will immerse you in the Big Sur experience. READ MORE - Road trip from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe. If you found this article useful, consider using the links within the article or below. There are also hiking trails you can check out here, too, and if youre wanting a more rugged experience, camp out at the park. Just letting you know so there are no surprises! Bring a blanket and a cooler with your favorite sandwich to enjoy, which we wish we had done. Definitely dont miss one of the most unforgettable stretches of majestic coastline in the world. *Tidefall = a waterfall that drops directly into the ocean (I didnt know either). This waterfall cascades over the cliff and falls about 80 feet into the sandy cove below. I was in awe the entire time. Its an adorable amusement park right on the beach! If you didnt have time to pack a snack or breakfast, plan a stop at Big Sur Bakery before u-turning into the Pfeiffer Beach turn-off. If you want a taste of France in sweet Monterey, Paris Bakery is your go-to spot! Hi Shafinah! Check the missions website for daily hours and admission prices. There are all types of shops including antique shops, fudge shops, oh and dont forget dog shops! Perfect ending to your Big Sur Pacific Coast Highway day trip! Accommodation in Big Sur is pricey. Big Sur Itinerary - Best View Points! Bixby Bridge is the epitome of Big Sur and its everything youd expect and more (but really, its the surrounding scenery that really steals the show). Why is Big Sur famous? Youll most likely be coming from the airport if youre visiting, so aim to pick up your car rental from SFO. They provide the best deals for car rentals in California! Hi Jolayne! Dont go during the rain or after its just rained as the road is all dirt and can get quite muddy at times. Big Sur and Monterey/Carmel I'll be spending this upcoming weekend on a road trip from Los Angeles to Monterey and thought I'd post my general itinerary and pose a few questions for the Big. We decided to stop by Folktale Winery and Vineyards because it seriously looked like something from a fairy tale! Okay, so we just discovered this spot off the side of the highway on our last visit to Big Sur, and I cannot believe I never noticed it before! I personally love #doingallthethings at the beginning of my trips and then slowing down as I stay longer, but you can puzzle this Monterey and Big Sur itinerary out to best fit your weekend and travel style. There are so many places in this area to pick for dinner. In the Big Sur region, hop on the Pacific Coast Highway (or PCH; part of California State Route 1), one of the state's most scenic routes, and take your pick of any of the stunning coastal towns. When visiting, youll want to hike the Soberanes Canyon Trailas its restored and in great condition. A stay at Deetjen's is a step-back in time; you are immersing yourself in the unique historic . Alternatively, you can take a bus. I had always heard about the Monterrey Bay Aquarium and how great it was and how Finding Nemo was based on that aquarium! Carmel-by-the-Sea has one art gallery for every 34 residents. 2022 text, 2021 Big Sur Drinking Fountain Image and Ghiradelli Cannery Row Image, 2020 Carmel . With more ocean views than you ever thought possible, eco-friendly and luxurious hotel stays, wooded hiking trails and nature for days, I can never get enough of this stretch of the coastline. Whether you want to go fast, slow, solo, or with others, this year's Race for Open Space has something for you. How many days do you need in Monterey and Big Sur? The water was soooo extra beautiful when we were there we actually felt like we were in Hawaii for a hot second! Big Falls Trail near the south end of the range is a . Time needed: 1 to 2 days. Once you get to Pacific Grove, everything is accessible by foot or bike. Continue with Recommended Cookies. Also, there are two different viewpoints- one of the front side of the bridge and one of the back. We ate a quick breakfast at the hotel (one of the other perks of staying there) and then headed to the 5th Avenue Deli. Bixby Bridge was built in 1932 and is one of the highest suspending bridges sitting at 260 feet above the bottom of the canyon below. With that being said, you can easily see oh so much in even as little as one day. You can drive all of these Big Sur road trip stops from either north to south (starting in Carmel) or south to north (starting in San Simeon) of course, but I prefer driving from NORTH to SOUTH. Being Big Surs largest beach, as long as the tide is low, youll find plenty of space to lay your towel down and relax. The entire 6-mile loop takes approximately three hours, but guests can enjoy as much or as little as they like as all trails intersect at various points and all paths are clearly marked. Some places I recommend going to in Carmel: Point Lobos was also definitely another highlight of this trip and should definitely be on your Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur Itinerary. If you can settle for not actually staying in Big Sur itself, consider heading up north to Carmel or Monterey for less-than-astronomical prices. I really enjoyed Spanish Bay Beach, Fanshell Beach overlook, Cypress Point Lookout and the Lone Cypress. On your first morning, wake up early and by 8 AM start your Big Sur itinerary by heading south on Highway 1. You can extend your road trip and continue driving south on the Pacific Coast Highway to see even more small California Coastal towns! Have you seen the photos?! Since you are now past the influx of traffic, you wont be in a rush to get into any of the popular sites. With that being said, Im planning out this Big Sur road trip itinerary from north to south. And plus, the water is chilly over here! This image is from Big Sur, a California State Park . Not many out-of-towners know this, but coastal fog is another downside of a Big sur road trip during summertime; it can hang around as late as midday! Call ahead to ask about the exact time that the bagpipe player will be playing, as times change throughout the year. Then you can eat something while enjoying the waves! To see ratings, other places to visit, photos, and more tourist information, read Big Sur trip itinerary planning site. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. $8,790.00 USD per person. This was actually my favorite part of Fishermans Wharf. Monterey Peninsula Recreational Trail is an 18-mile trail that runs from Pacific Grove up north to Castroville and alongside the old Southern Pacific Railway. View Full Itinerary At a Glance Called the most beautiful meeting of land and water on the face of the earth, Monterey Bay, the legendary Pacific coast and sun-drenched Carmel Valley mark a convergence of currents, cultures and creators that make the area one of the country's most fascinating places. Besides the gorgeous views, the houses in Carmel are also some to steal your breath away with their eccentricities and quaint vibes. One of our favorite spots here is the Pepper Palace where we buy dry rubs and sauces to make our legendary wings. Yes, youll definitely need to add these 2 to your list and drive along the 101 highway. I hope your travel planning takes you here soon! We chose the 17-mile ride and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our 3-hour outing. And thankfully, everything is laid out quite well with proper signage, so theres no risk of getting lost. Guide contents. This Monterey and Big Sur itinerary is incredibly helpful. Whether you prefer sweet or savory, their menu will satisfy every palette. If youre planning on hanging out on the beach, pack your swimsuit or a wetsuit to surf. Sure, the food is on the pricey side (like the rest of Big Sur), but its such a great place to stop and relax for a bit. Each room also boasts a private deck with those magicnicant coastline views, a wood-burning fireplace to get cozy during the chilly nights, and an indoor spa tub. BIG SUR, CALIFORNIA: LOGISTICS. Be aware that the trail is sometimes blocked off due to erosion, and you may not be able to get that picture perfect view. Now you can sit and relax in the car a bit as you head south to Big Sur. After Fishermans Wharf, we decided to leave Monterey to explore Carmel-by-the-sea. Arrive- Pick up Rental Car and Drive to Monterey I flew into the San Jose, California airport on a flight arriving around 12:00 in the afternoon. Hungry? I too hope that tourists can make the kind of choices that will benefit everyone." Cruises currently run for 4 hours at 10 AM or 3 hours at 2:30 PM (morning tours are recommended) so youll need to plan your time wisely if you are wanting to include this activity in your itinerary. Hi Kate! I flew into the San Jose, California airport on a flight arriving around 12:00 in the afternoon. September 10, 2024 - September 15, 2024. Ablonetti Bar and Grill is located on Fishermans Wharf and is our all-time favorite restaurant. Bedroom3; Baths2; Property typePrivate Vacation Home; Max Sleeps6; Love golf Pebble Beach golf courses are among some of the best in the world; Carmel-by-the-Sea renowned for its art galleries, many restaurants & sandy white beaches; Big Sur has campsites, high-cliff beaches, superb hiking trails & world-class views on the Pacific Ocean, and Monterey is known for the famous . If this is your first time to the area dont rush it! Specialties: World-famous Breakfast served Daily 8:00am-noon; Dinner Friday-Tuesday starting at 5:30pm. I totally agree, one of my favorite places to visit! Right outside of Carmel is Carmel Mission Basilica, dating clear back to the 1700s. There were all sorts of cute alleys you could go down to find more hidden gems. While youre hiking, youll want to have closed-toe shoes with a good grip to keep yourself safe, literally speaking from experience. Its more of a state of mind rather than a specific point on a map, encompassing about 90 sunny Californian miles down the Pacific Coast Highway. While the entire reserve is beautiful, dont miss China Cove and Bird Island Lookout (on the southern part of the park). We would like to thank Big Sur Adventures for providing discounted tickets for us to experience their e-bike tour. You can read all about how this area came to be here. Here is the Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur itinerary I followed for a long weekend getaway! After checking out Cannery Row, we walked to Big Sur Adventuresabout 5 minutes away to rent bikes. I LOVE Big Sur and Monterey its just so beautiful. Is driving to Big Sur dangerous? There is plenty to see and do in Monterey County outside of meeting room walls. Bubba Gumps specializes in seafood- specifically shrimp and if you have ever seen Forest Gump- this place will be really fun for you! Not having lunch at the Big Sur River Inn. Bring water and watch out for poison oak. Make sure to bring a light jacket since it gets a little bit chillier at night. There was a trail for bikes all along the beach and it was a really beautiful place to end for sunset. This sample itinerary aims to show how you can cover the two towns of Monterey or Carmel in as little as 2 days. They have a nice cafeteria there for lunch. Please make reservation for dinner; No Dinner Wednesday/Thursday; Deetjen's Big Sur Inn is a non-profit dedicated to the preservation and rehabilitation of the historic Big Sur Inn at Castro Canyon. This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Monterey . The drive from Carmel-by-the-Sea to San Simeon is 2 hours and 20 minutes of curvy, cliff-side driving. Our favorite thing to get: almond croissant. McWay Falls Check out Lovers Point Beach where you can do all the water activities like surfing and kayaking. The parking lot is large and yes, youll need to pay $10 (a common theme to use the beaches/parks in/near Big Sur). Note:If you have time, Pfeiffer Beach, which is very close to this state park is worth a visit. This mountain range, just inland from the not-so-hidden gem that is Big Sur, runs from below Monterey and Carmel down to about San Luis Obispo. It could take as little as 2 hours (if you dont stop at all), or 2 days if you make all the stops for the views, foods, and hikes. Have you been? We drove all the way south to the furthest location we wanted to see and then worked our way back north. Besides Abalonettis another one of our favorite restaurants in this area is Phils Fish Market & Eatery. If you do not have a high-clearance vehicle, you can still cross the street and take pictures from the other side of Bixby Bridge. There is memorabilia from the movies all over! And thankfully, the parking lot has bathrooms! Fun fact: Bixby Bridge was built 5 years before the road was paved to connect Carmel to San Luis Obispo! The Post Ranch Inn is a Big Sur icon; the 100-acre property first opened in 1992, and in the years since, has cemented its spot as one of the top luxury hotels in . from $900. Located at the mouth of the Big Sur River, the park has gorgeous panoramic views of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. I absolutely loved the hotel I picked to stay in for one night, The Monterey Plaza Hotel. Whats your favorite local spot? Youll get a really nice view of the beach. Which means youll ultimately need to climb back up! If you and your group aren't ready to slow down yet, take this time to explore the shops on Fisherman's Wharf or Cannery Row. Note that the color of the sand realllly comes alive right after it rains. If youre from outta town, and by that not within driving distance, youll need to get yourself to SFO (San Francisco) first. Pacific Grove is a small area right on the edge of Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary about a 10-minute drive from Fishermans Wharf.