Aside from the somewhat unique blade shape approach, Benchmade has managed to offer you a 3.4 blade in a package that weighs less than 3 ounces and yet still manages to offer an excellent grip and a heavy-hitting S30V steel blade. Both knives fit the same use case and both knives are of the same exceptional Benchmade quality. I personally prefer the thumb hole over the harsher thumb stud. At the weight (1.9 oz), you won't find a sturdier and more functional pocket knife. benchmade north fork vs bugout breaking news blue mountains. In this case we are talking about the different handle materials: the Bailout comes with a Grivory and an aluminium handle. For this reason, even though the price seems exorbitant, I consider that buying Benchmade is actually a money-saving move. If you want a light slicer to disappear into the pocket then the bug out is probably the way to go. Blade Style: Drop-PointBlade Composition: CPM-S90VHandle Composition: Full-Tang handleless with Micro Carbon ScalesBlade Length: 3.08Total Length: 7.38Total Weight: 1.67 ounces. Click Here To Learn More! Your blade must be sharp and stay that way. My Review: The Benchmade Bugout is a classic and has been around for quite some time. I do have to say that the North Fork has really caught my eye. We are a granola-eating, Birkenstock-wearing, bug spray-carrying group of hiking enthusiastswho specialize in finding the latest gear for outdoor adventures. If youre looking for a boot knife or MOLLE compatible self-defense or combat weapon, this is the package for you. The bugout never gets carried. The Anthem is super thin despite feeling hefty and strong and this makes for an excellent middle-ground between comfort when carrying and girth when holding the knife, something you usually have to give in on one side or the other. The Bugout is available with Grivory, titanium and CF-Elite. He started this website while transitioning out of the Marines, and since has recruited several other Marines to help him work on the Marine Approved website. Where the blade meets the handles on the inside is covered by steel liners, ensuring the handles cant bow or bend and eliminating the flex you see in cheaper plastic-based handles. The 3.24-inch long and .090-inch thick premium-quality CPM-S30V stainless steel blade is razor-sharp, has great edge retention, good centering, and high corrosion resistance. Benchmade Contego 810 10. All others will prefer the Mini-Barrage. I have the North Fork g10 and it is edc perfection. In short, it is smoothness. Yeah, I didnt miss the 3 or 4 for that 1, it really does weigh less than 2 ounces. If you just want one knife and one knife only that exudes quality and is as versatile as it gets, the Benchmade Turret should be at the top of your list. BENCHMADE 15031-2 NORTH FORK FOLDER S30V NEW IN THE BOX Brand New $175.00 Seller: bugsman57 (638) 100% Buy It Now +$12.60 shipping Sponsored Benchmade HUNT North Fork Folding Knife 15031-2 Dymondwood Handle Brand New $198.00 Top Rated Plus Buy It Now Seller: premiumselectsupplies (43,502) 99.8% Free shipping Free returns 31 watchers Sponsored They would find the Mini Griptilian more comfortable and compact. This is one of the best customer care programs any knife company in the market has to offer right now. If you like the frn handles of the Grip you have, you will like the g10 even more. What is a Spydie hole, you ask? LifeSharp service from Benchmade means whenever you need to sharpen, hone, or fix your Benchmade knives, you just send them to their factory and they fix it for you. Benchmade 15051 Big Summit Lake Another drop point with a slightly longer blade 2.9 inches and Dymondwood handle, this is ideal for anyone who likes the concept of the North Fork but isnt as keen on the Axis Lock. Were glad you dig this post! A large knife pretty much needs to be fixed blade, but with the size, were looking at theres a choice. Though the blade itself is short, the cutting edge is quite long, so its going to be useful in a lot of situations. Just like the Saddle Mountain series, you can choose whether or not youd like to have a gut hook. Here Are the Best Benchmade Knives for EDC 1. Do you want random dudes to smile in awe and quickly ask Bro, is that a Benchmade? Maybe you do, maybe you dont, but thats the kind of brand recognition Benchmade has earned by delivering exceptional customer loyalty and overall quality. Even when soaking wet, you never feel like youll lose grip and the lock is so strong you could support the weight of an average man on it all day without worry. Blade Style: WharncliffeBlade Composition: CPM-S30VHandle Composition: Slotted G10Blade Length: 1.6Total Length: 4.48Total Weight: 1.8 ounces. Blade Style: Drop-PointBlade Composition: CPM S30VHandle Composition: Sealed Wood or Patterned G10Blade Length: 2.97Total Length: 6.97Total Weight: 3.41 ounces. Ever since Benchmade set out to craft the best and most tactical knives in 1988, the company has never disappointed its clients for it has been manufacturing high quality knives each year.Benchmade North Fork 1503 is a relatively new entrant into the market, but the tactical folding knife is already winning the hearts of many folding knives users. It's been in the box since I bought it. It also comes super sharp out of the box, boasting a full flat grind. In all reality, this knife was designed to be abused and it will withstand constant daily abuse in harsh elements with no problems and thats why the Crooked River is a solid choice among outdoor sportsmen. Check out our benchmade north fork backspace selection for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our shops. . Many people complain about the handle material but I don't care (the Grivory is also a bit thicken on the Bailout then Bugout). Youre a simple old school kind of guy and you dont need no stinkin nylon in your leather sheath do ya? Despite preferring folding knives when it comes to Benchmade, I sure do appreciate their fixed blades. Traditional hunting knives have been a lot larger, but short blades like this are becoming a lot more popular. But what are the other differences between the two? What You Should Know About Benchmades Lifesharp Program, Mini Bugout 533 a look as well which can be found here, Check out the beautifully crafted hand-built Damasteel Foray here, check out the Mini Freek found at this link here, Check out the Barrage that went on a diet here at this link, 15085-2 Mini Crooked River a look here at this link, Benchmade 15080BK Crooked River Gold Class, double-sided spear-point can be found here, For example, the Benchmade Bugout 535-191 Gold Class edition, Benchmades Gold Class custom built blades here, How to Unregister a Gun in your Name? Many people choose fixed blades over the folding counterparts because they believe the fixed blade is less prone to failure and is stronger overall and while that was true for a very long time, its still true! Of course, if youre already familiar with how to use one, youll be ready to rock and roll and strap this puppy on your MOLLE vest! Between those two even with the variants of the mini grip, I would still choose the northfork all day. This is definitely not the run of the mill Benchmade experience Ive known to expect but it is a refreshing design that gives the user plenty of deployability options. My current daily carry is the SOG AE24-CP Aegis Mini, and if you are familiar with it or similar products, it is a spring loaded release and takes some thumb effort to get the blade out. For the blade, you have a choice between carbon steel or stainless. Start Your Benchmade Career Today. Use oil to lubricate the opening mechanism and play with it for a few hours. Clayton - Thanks for the comment. Q: What Materials Are Used to Create Benchmade Knives? I'm going to circle back and take a look at this. The Bailout has a separate backspacer. My Review: The Super Freek is well-known by its ultra-hard and super tough CPM-M4 steel blades that are certainly not for a beginner knife owner. Pick something with a slightly lower HRC rating. All in all, this is the best affordable Benchmade knife if a fixed blade is what youre after. Id say a mix of covertness, lethality, and fast deployment make for a pretty solid tactical platform, wouldnt you? We will start with the fact that there are different editions of the Bailout and the Bugout. I don't like my mini grip. Folks, I really appreciate the responses so far. I only have had my mini crooked river for a week and so far it is on top. Free shipping for many products! Its really as versatile as a 3.75 fixed blade can be without gimmicks or excess functionalities that youll likely never use anyways. I work at a store that sells Benchmade knives (most of which have the Axis Lock system) and I've never heard anyone say that their knife can just open without using the lock first. Check out the beautiful Benchmade 15080BK Crooked River Gold Class. Reproduction without permission is prohibited. Click, Skip to the beginning of the images gallery. Types of Rifles Every Shooter Should Know About, Rifle Vs. The Fact is everything I love about slender pocket knives while still being one lean mean little blade. Moreover, if youre a fan of the G10 handle, youll love this. All of them are pretty durable, and grip depends on the shape or finish more than the material, so go for whatever youre comfortable with. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. []. Kizer Knives V4423A1- this quality folding knife is reasonably affordable than Benchmade North Fork-1503. Despite being expensive, many people flock to buy Benchmade knives. The surgically sharp blade comes perfectly centered. It opens smoothly, locks smoothly, and cuts smoothly. My Review: Oh boy the Bedlam is a beaut of a blade but I swear, this is not the knife for everyone! The knife is of a Sheepsfoot blade, and its quite useful in daily utility works. The Aller 380 is a multi-purpose Wharncliffe knife that encompasses a screwdriver, pry tip, micro bit slot, money clip, bottle opener, and of course, that handy slicing Wharncliffe blade. Shipping costs depend on order amount and shipping destination. It encompasses everything we like to see in an EDC including a versatile drop-point, the super-strong AXIS locking mechanism, a good pocket weight to size ratio, a strong and tight clip, and an overall high-quality build design that should suit you through a variety of different tasks. A much smaller blade, somewhere not too far from three inches long, is the right size for most tasks. 4.9 out of 5 stars 23. It would need to be a fixed blade, and be more of a Survival knife type. Benchmade Bugout 535 5. A: The Benchmade Knife Company is behind Benchmade knives. I feel like the other two are good options, but the northfork feels like it has a "soul". Benchmade North Fork Review- Solid Hunting Knife and EDC Option Homegrown Outdoors 542 subscribers Subscribe 114 11K views 2 years ago Review of the Benchmade North Fork (15031-2) folding knife. But not completely stainless. The Rescue Tool is in the same form factor as the original SOCP dagger but instead of a spear-point blade, youll be getting a belt cutter and pry tool. No sponsored content. Q: Does a Benchmade Knife Have a Lifetime Warranty? In many cases the answer is an unequivocal yes, however, Id say it really depends on your situation and what you need a knife for. If youre looking to get yourself the best Benchmade knife, theres a chance youll be ruined for any other knife brands, especially when it comes to EDC knives. The 3V depends on personal prefernce but it won't break when prying and so on despite having a thin tip. For those discerning users, the quality of the Benchmade North Fork is self-evident and will be well worth the cost. Byrd Robin 2 Produced by Spyderco, this is a tiny folding knife with a 2.4-inch blade and back lock. The gut hook is exceptionally sharp and perfectly angled so that it slides right through skin and hair like youre slicing paper. When you click on links to buy products we may earn money to support. First, even right out of the box, there are different definitions of "sharp." Come, lets take a look at the latest Benchmade knives that I think are quite impressive. The manual axis lock can also be released one-handedly. However, make sure you dont go swimming with this in your pocket as the handle will expand and be unusable for a while. Here you also see that the Bailout was intended for tactical use. Its also a little prone to chipping. Many of the Benchmade knives they sell the most are extremely high quality and made with rare or challenging materials and as such, are more than worth the hassle to send in and have serviced to increase their life span and usefulness. What sets the best of the best apart is their weight for the construction quality. They will then sharpen the blade back to its original factory specs and then perform a deep clean and shine on each and every part. MADE FOR HUNTING: The North Fork 15031-1's drop-point, recurved blade is ideal . These are not an EDC style utility knife but more so something to use as a last resort in a sticky situation. The Grivory handle is essentially as good as polymer, plus it doesnt get slippery even when wet. I love the bugout but will be upgrading the scales. It is easy to make a heavy, sturdy knife. Furthermore, you can find this knife with a wood or G10 handle which actually changes the appearance and feel of the overall knife significantly, so choose wisely. Plain finish, satin finish, matte finish, coated finish, Damascus: there isnt a shortage in types of knife finishes. Whether your hike takes you across town or to the top of Kilimanjaro, we can help find you the best gear for your money. Just be aware of this before you buy. I will mention this about the clip, it isnt like the standard Benchmade deep carry clips and doesnt do well on exceptionally thin material like gym shorts but feels great and stays in place snuggly when used on thick materials like jeans or tactical pants. Anyway, on to the design of the North Fork. These high-grip sections make it easy to control the blade for fine cutting, even when its wet or slimy if you like to hold your index finger along the spine while skinning theyll give you some extra security. Personally, I prefer a subtle matte or black coated blade, even though they tend to get scratched quite easily. Now, just under two Benjamins for a 154CM blade does sound a bit pricey, but this blade encompasses a flavor in a pocket knife form factor that youll be hard-pressed to rival with anything else on the market today. It has a blade length that measures in at 3.24 inches long, and the handle measures in at 4.22 inches long That brings the overall length on the Bugout to 7.46 inches when the blade is fully locked out. Aside from the blade, the handle is another thing that demands attention. The Benchmade Bailout, on the other hand, was designed for soldiers and other professionals who ask a lot from their tools. The Barrage family is a set of beautiful knives that are raw and dutiful by nature. Material on GearLab is copyrighted. What are the differences, Spyderco Delica 4 vs Spyderco Paramilitary 2, Spyderco Endura 4 vs Spyderco Paramilitary 2, Spyderco Paramilitary 2 VS Benchmade 940 Osborne, Spyderco Para 3 vs Benchmade 945 Mini Osborne. Shop around the Knife Exchange or Fleabay and you can easily find a slightly used CPM-20CV 555/556-1 with G10 scales for not much more than a new Bugout and less than a new North Fork with some patience. In fact, the Bugout is probably the best, general use knife in the Benchmade line up given its price, design, performance, size, and weight. The latter is layered from maple and Baltic birch laminations, pressure-bonded with resin into a wood-plastic composite thats completely moisture-resistant. Benchmade is comparable to Bentley in the knife world and a brand like that is simply going to come with a premium for the name. Okay, I know, that was a lead up to virtually nothing, but nowadays we have the AXIS lock which makes Benchmades folding knives exceptionally strong. Disclosure. Benchmade introduced their first military knife back in 2002 and they introduced the knife with their AXIS Automatic lock tech they have patented under their name. You can brush up on your blade shape terminology by visiting the Marine Approved knife blade shapes guide here and you can learn all about the steel used to craft your favorite blades in the Marine Approved knife blade steels guide here. As a result, you need to thank the handle for this knifes superb portability. The Fact would be an excellent and easy to carry self-defense knife that has incredible utility value, close to that of a solid EDC knife. Its textured and large enough to get a comfortable grip. Our experts test thousands of products each year using thoughtful test plans that bring out key performance differences between competing products. A flick of the wrist sends the blade out, and it worries me that if I were to drop it by accident, etc. The very name Puukko simply stands for a small Finnish full-tang belt knife that hosts a single elegantly curved edge and a mostly flat spine. Usually, Id error on the side of an automatic knife to fit the bill of a tactical rescue tool, however, with how easy and buttery smooth Benchmades single-handed opening actions are, I have absolutely no doubt in having this as a manual rescue knife. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact TalentAcquisition@benchmade.com or 1-800-800-7427. My Review: The Benchmade Griptilian is one of the most well-known multi-purpose folders in their lineup and this is due to its versatility-first approach. Particularly, if youre going to swim, camp, or go backpacking, dont pick wood or Dymondwood handle as moisture will make it unsuitable for a while. These are among the strongest blades Benchmade makes and so long as youre up to the task of taking care of them, they will perform excellently and will provide you with best-in-class usage and longevity. D2 tool steel is specifically engineered to survive a beating and thats what this blade is capable of doing. dr james hughes psychiatrist Navigation. And for them, with a very un-Benchmade-like price of around $110, the Bugout is great. I have all 3 and they're pretty different. Some of the reasons I personally prefer the Bugout over the Mini Grip include the longer blade length at 3.25" vs 2.91", the blade shape lending itself better for slicing, the weight reduction, and the awesome short carry clip. Go with the Benchmade Bailout. Its unique flat top serrations are quite easy to sharpen even on a flat stone. [Answered]. However, its not textured so you might not get as much grip as youd expect from other EDC knives. Evaluate whether the Benchmade North Fork-1503 you intend to get is engineered for high-quality.For instance, check whether the knife has a CPM-S30V stainless steel blade and a balanced handle among other key features associated with high quality. Imagine every little task you would expect an EDC knife to do, write it down if you need to. I wont lie, it is a little heavy for those of you forgoing long treks, however, that weight is due to how solid and reliable the crooked river is while providing premium attributes such as that beautifully sealed wood grain handle and its ultra-strong AXIS lock. In terms of ease of carrying and usability, this may just be the knife that sits the most comfortably in between those two attributes found on the market today. The North Fork-1503 is designed to feel comfortable in your hands. My Review: As with many self-defense situations, sometimes a little deterrence in the form of striking the fear of death in someones eyes is all you need and I think thats what Benchmade was going for when they designed the ominous-looking Contego. Benchmade Bugout 535 7.46-Inch Folding Knife, Benchmade Mini Crooked River 15080-2 Knife, Benchmade Saddle MTN Skinner R/L Fixed Blade Knife, 7 Best Thermos Flask Reviews: Convenient On-the-go Beverage and Food Containers, 10 Best Level Reviews That Are Accurate for Professional and Home Use, 8 Best Chisel Set Reviews: Super Sharp Tools for Your Woodworking Projects, 8 Best Wood Filler Reviews: Complete Your Repair Projects like a Professional, 9 Best String Trimmer / Weed Wacker (Electric, Gas) Reviews and Buying Guide, 10 Best Garden Stool Reviews: Stylish and Practical Outdoor Furniture, 9 Best Workbench Reviews: Ultra-Functional Furniture for DIY Enthusiasts, 7 Best Keychain Flashlight Reviews: The Most Powerful and Portable, 9 Best Portable Air Compressor Reviews: Inflate a Tire in an Emergency, 6 Best Pond Pumps: High-Quality Pond, Fountain and Aquarium Pumps, 10 Best Rain Gauge Reviews: Be Water Smart with An Accurate Udometer, 5 Best Robotic Pool Cleaner to Buy Reviews and Comparisons, 8 Quietest Portable Air Conditioner Reviews: Ultra-Quiet Cooling Solutions, 8 Best Coco Coir An Essential Growing Medium, 7 Best Storage Boxes That Are Practical and Easy to Use, 7 Best Work Boots for Men and Women: Reviews & Comparisons, 7 Best Curry Comb Reviews: Pamper Your Horse with a Shiny Coat, 9 Best Nutcracker Reviews: Quick and Easy Nut Cracking Devices, 10 Best Woodworking Clamps to Keep a Solid Grip on Your Work, 6 Best Hiking Shoes for Men and Women: Reviews & Comparisons, Best Potting Soil for Any Plant Buying Guide and Recommendations, Ideal for hiking, camping, backpacking, and EDC, Great edge retention, good centering, and corrosion resistance, Drop-point/partially serrated blade is versatile, Smooth operating AXIS lock can be used one-handed, Available with a plain edge blade and green handle, Feels too lightweight for medium to heavy-duty cutting tasks, Opening mechanism can be a little stiff out of the box, Ideal for EDC, camping, and tactical applications, 154CM 58-61 high-carbon stainless steel blade, Black coating for additional durability and rust-resistance, Strong and durable drop-point utility-style blade, Exceptionally strong and fully ambidextrous AXIS lock, AXIS mechanism can be a little hard to open until you break it in, Handle feels too lightweight for heavy-duty tasks, Ideal for EDC, camping, and tactical scenarios, Superb edge qualities and rust resistance, Lightweight, contoured aluminum handle is comfortable to hold and use, Made from extra hard high-carbon stainless steel, Tough drop point/partially serrated blade, Sturdy and durable G10 handle is ideal for extreme temperatures, Premium quality extra hard CPM-S30V 58-60 high-carbon steel, First-rate edge retention and corrosion resistance, Comfortable contoured stabilized wood/resin backfilled handle, Stabilized wood can stand up to a range of harsh elements and environments, Exceptionally strong and smooth operating ambidextrous AXIS lock, Wood handle may be too soft to get a good grip, Exceptionally strong, highly responsive, and fully ambidextrous AXIS lock, Black overmolded Versaflex and dark gray Grivory handle is very strong, comfortable to use, and increases your grip, Made from very hard premium 58-60 HRC stainless steel, Great edge retention and good corrosion-resistance, Drop-point razor-sharp blade cuts through thick meat like butter, Exceptionally strong, highly responsive, and fully ambidextrous AXIS lock is designed for one-handed operation, Blade has a bit of vertical play in the locked position, Premium-quality extra hard CPM-S30V steel, Great edge retention and corrosion resistance, Precision drop-point construction provides extra strength and cutting versatility, Fully ambidextrous and easy gripping Grivory Versaflex handle, Molded from glass-filled nylon for superior durability, Scales can get stuck on a pockets material, Ideal for camping, survival, and tactical operations, Durable G10 handle is impervious to moisture and remains stable under extreme temperatures, Full tang design providing greater strength and reliability, Durable full grain leather sheath features a belt loop and D-ring, Thick handle may be a little hard to grip for small hands, Large, thick, and razor-sharp blade excels at skinning and meat removal, Exceptional edge retention and very good rust resistance, Improved jimping helps with tougher cutting tasks, Durable and comfortable stabilized wood handle, Well-balanced, full tang design provides greater strength and reliability than a folding knife, Newly designed bright orange G10 fiberglass sheath. Upon opening up the Benchmade Butterfly stamped sheath youll notice the inside is actually nylon. Dont buy a non-locking folder, though theyre dangerous. We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you. The Axis Dual-Action is kind of a blend between the two aforementioned Axis mechanisms. No matter how hard youre going with the knife, it wont slip even if your hand is wet with water, sweat, or blood. GearLab is reader-supported. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. A final note here, most Benchmade clips are not compatible with the Anthem and the Anthems clip is not compatible with any other Benchmade knife Ive reviewed. A: One of the many advantages of getting a Benchmade knife is its warranty. If youd like to show your support to Les De Asis and the Benchmade family, visit this link and find out how you can become a part of the Benchmade community by contributing to his Makerspace memorial contribution fund that is geared towards educating our youth for further exploration, innovation, and entrepreneurship. Portability, regarding size, is also at direct odds with ergonomics. These work by pinning two angled torsion bars against the tang of the knife that creates more tension on the blade as its closed. For the vast majority of tasks, though, this size is just right. And it is ergonomics that set the Mini Barrage apart from other high-end knives we tested. The Benchmade North Fork Pocketknife: The Full Nick Shabazz Review 50,039 views Oct 6, 2018 763 Dislike Share Save Nick Shabazz 148K subscribers Today, we're going to take a look at a great. Ships in 1-2 business days, custom lasermarking will add 8 business days. If you like your Freeks on the small side, check out the Mini Freek found at this link here. My Review: The Barrage is an excellent EDC sized self-defense and general utility knife that sports a very well finished blade that is available with that lovely black Cerakote job Benchmade is known for or, of course, a polished satin finish. If you are not happy or you got a defective product, you can avail of a refund. I wouldn't call it a slicer like the bugout but it all depends on what your full purpose is farm work I believe you will enjoy the northfork the most and the wood scales are awesome plus full liners. While this one has a slightly shorter handle and will make your pinky finger dangle free, its expected for such a small knife. When opening, the user simply needs to start opening the blade and at around 30 degrees, the tension bars fling the blade open themselves the rest of the way, kind of like the assist but with more user interaction. Home Knives 30 Best Benchmade Knives in 2023 (Ranked by Category). That exceptionally high hardness level allows this blade to retain its edge even when highly abused for an extremely long time, making this blade very low maintenance and ready to go when you need it most. This thing almost looks like a throwing knife and to be honest, when you first hold it, thats probably what your first impression would be. Despite that, I feel that this is quite a good Benchmade EDC. Furthermore, some of the metals they use can be especially hard to sharpen on your own. The purpose The Benchmade Bugout was originally designed as a lightweight pocket knife for hikers and others who prefer ultra-light knives.