overFlowX = x + renderedWidth + excessWidth - document.body.offsetWidth; Sure you are correct as usual SP. I had a fun email from Alan last year, he is a very pleasant chap with a good sense of humour. Nov 2, 2013 - This Pin was discovered by Shirley Lord. Click below to begin your paid subscription. if (typeof(originalFirstChild) == "undefined") function do_pagination_start() The pot does stand up. FOR SALE! } Quantity available: 46 tiles in total. He studied pottery at Newlands Park Teachers' Training College in Buckinghamshire and won eligibility for a one-year course at Goldsmith's College and studied pottery under Kenneth Clark and Gordon Baldwin whose attitudes influenced him. Alan Wallwork (1931-2019)Three totem form vasesstonewareincised initials24cm, 21cm, and 15cm high (3). SK7 2BE, Email: There were a spate of these at auction some years ago, and they still occasionally come up on Ebay where the seller does not fully describe the item. For further information, please visit http://www.dacs.org.ukor http://artistscollectingsociety.org, ALAN WALLWORK (1931-2019); a stoneware and porcelain split egg form with turquoise glaze highlights, incised AW mark, height 11.5cm. { element.innerHTML = '
' + string + "
"; For further information, please visit http://www.dacs.org.ukor http://artistscollectingsociety.org, ALAN WALLWORK (1931-2019); a tall stoneware wedge form with turquoise glaze highlights, incised AW mark, height 31cm. Articles, Know Your Art Nouveau: The Backstory on this Fantastic Find, Friendly Fungi: Sears Merry Mushroom Collection. By . * Generally seems fine, small firing crack to the inside and base of the vase from manufacture. For further information please ask Chorley's or visit www.dacs.org.ukCondition information is not usually provided in the description of the lot but is available upon request; the absence of a condition report does not imply that a lot is without imperfection, Alan Wallwork (1931- 2019); a stoneware split pebble with impressed decoration around the parting, incised AW mark, height 24.5cm, Wallwork label to the underside, price 42. if (agt.indexOf("gecko") != -1 && agt.indexOf("win") != -1) *Alan Wallwork [1931-2019] a stoneware vessel: of discus shaped form with central piecing and fissure surrounded by indented radial bands on a textured ground under brown, pale green and ivory staining, incised AW to base, 24cm high. { Original Vintage 1930 Teracotta Quarry Tiles 6 Inch Total 46 Terracotta Floor Tile Authentic RECLAIM Canterbury, Kent Original 1930's Vintage quarry tiles. A pottery-obsessed couple have put their 250,000 collection of ceramics on sale after an 'overwhelmed' auctioneer found it crammed inside their former home. As well as workshop space, he opened a gallery where potters from outside such as Lucie Rie and Clark were shown along with paintings by artists at the studio but the pots sold better. overFlowY = y + renderedHeight + excessHeight - window.innerHeight - window.pageYOffset; Below is the image of the back of a tile that I sold recently. For further information, please visit https://www.dacs.org.ukor https://artistscollectingsociety.org, ALAN WALLWORK (1931-2019); a triangular ribbed stoneware pot with green and grey highlights, incised AW mark, height 15cm. function createPagination(which, string, x, y) var de = !document.documentElement.clientWidth?document.body:document.documentElement; element.style.visibility = "hidden"; Bigger objects were made with the help of assistants. but agreed very nice . A small unusual piece of Alan's work that I sold in September. var agt = navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase(); 15 to 20 years ago when I was exhibiting Alan's work on a regular basis, one of my customers ran a gallery that just sold modern conceptual art but bought Wallworks for himself. var de = !document.documentElement.clientWidth?document.body:document.documentElement; (D)Additional InformationAppears good with no obvious signs of faults, damage or restoration.This lot qualifies for Artist Resale Rights. Please support our sponsors and help offset the cost of maintaining this site by clicking on the banner links. These are some of the best of his work I have seen. Brutalist style around the base. } Alan Wallwork (1931-2019) a large stoneware segment, incised and glazed in colours incised AW monogram 30cm wide 21cm high, Alan Wallwork (1931-2019) a small stoneware segment, incised and glazed in colours incised AW monogram 15.5cm. DE. 3 inch 166 Nov. 2022 M mike brown Alan Wallwork Green Interiors Organic Form Clays Pottery Ideas Hand Built Beards Vases Wedge Unusual 26 cms Wedge shape at auction April 2015. Following the economic downturn of the late 1970s he moved to Lyme Regis, also in Dorset, where he made 'organic' pieces. element = document.createElement("div"); He didn't tell me her surname. Heals and the CPA remained as retails outlets and also the showrooms of Briglin Pottery. The label was stuck on by Alan and it is from his own personal collection and featured in Mick Casson 1967 book, Pottery in Britain Today. Never seen anything by Alan that colour and can't really see the mark clearly. excessWidth = 0; In 1967 Michael Casson published a book Called POTTERY IN BRITAIN TODAY which is Full of studio pottery. document.body.removeChild(document.body.firstChild); There was only one bid for that vase similar to mine* and it went for about 60. element.style.zIndex = 1000; I need to offload a ton of pieces before I move. { Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated! Apparently it was a very good outlet for him. overFlowY = y + renderedHeight + excessHeight - window.innerHeight - window.pageYOffset; I tried to flatter him into writing a book, but he would have none of it. Your credit card or PayPal account will be charged. Some pits and firing marks as intended with the design. Needing to expand tile production, Alan found an old chapel at Marnhull, near Sturminster Newton in Dorset, and moved there in 1965. element.style.visibility = "hidden"; It's late 1960s possibly early 1970s and, if my memory serves me correctly, it's porcelain. so there are a lot more of them around. Brutalist style around the base. /* Pour maximiser les compatibilites IE6/7/8 en quirk/doctyped */ Uncategorized. (D)Additional InformationThe piece has a lean corrected by a sticky pad, otherwise appears good with no further signs of faults, damage or restorations. else For further information, please visit https://www.dacs.org.ukor https://artistscollectingsociety.org, ALAN WALLWORK (1931-2019); a set of nine earthenware tiles, various designs on Pilkington blanks, 15 x 15cm (9). This is 175631695468 In the early days of the CPA, Alan was an active member and on the Committee for a number of years. Leonard and Alison Shurz steadily. Inscribed W mark. Page 14 of 18 1 8 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, bystudio-pots December 23rd 2020, 3:10 pm, by22 Crawford St. December 23rd 2020, 3:37 pm, bystudio-pots December 23rd 2020, 3:47 pm, bystudio-pots December 23rd 2020, 3:50 pm, bystudio-pots December 23rd 2020, 3:56 pm, bystudio-pots December 23rd 2020, 4:04 pm, bystudio-pots December 23rd 2020, 4:07 pm, by22 Crawford St. December 23rd 2020, 4:22 pm, bystudio-pots December 23rd 2020, 11:51 pm, bystudio-pots February 26th 2021, 4:35 pm. ZU VERKAUFEN! Pottery Workshop Ancient Pottery European Art with the seven felt vases, the designer takes us back to an ancient pottery workshop that served as a laboratory for alchemical experiments. Is it called a hatching egg vase? FR. function createPagination(which, string, x, y) The absence of a condition report does not imply the lot is perfect.WE CAN SHIP THIS LOT, but NOT if part of a large, multiple lots purchase. *Alan Wallwork [1931-2019] a stoneware vessel: of slender oviform and with arbitrary rim with pierced decoration under bands of ivory, pale aubergine and russet glaze, incised AW, 36cm high. Size: 6 x 6 Inch square by inch deep. Alan Wallwork: two small stoneware studio pottery vases of abstract form with stone effect smear glaze (one a/f) - sold with a large Prinkash vase with black lustre glaze. renderedHeight = renderedElement.offsetHeight; However, he stopped being actively involved and supply them with pots when their mark up increased dramatically and there was also the problem of getting his pots to Central London. start = (start - 1) * 25; { stunning South Africa Swaziland studio pottery jug 394485261293. Ovoid vase has tiny patch to uppermost inner rim (3mm max) which is lacking glaze and may have 'caught'. 3 SIMILAR JEREMY Leach Tenmoku Glaze Tankard Design Mugs (1) - EUR 28,17. start = (isNaN(start) || start < 0 ) ? if( typeof(console) == "undefined" ) Weienburg is located in central Bavaria, in the south of the administrative region Mittelfranken.Large cities in the area are Ingolstadt (55.5 km), Nuremberg (61.7 km), Augsburg (85 km), Munich (134.6 km), and Wrzburg (150.4 km).. Subdivision. alan wallwork pottery mark; alan wallwork pottery mark. This lot qualifies for Artist Resale Rights. I thought that the glaze in the bowl was exceptionally fine and I have included a shot of the base that illustrates that almost all of his AW pieces start out by being thrown. Bramhall, Stockport It was necessary to take on larger premises to produce these tiles. Alan Wallwork (1931-2019)Two totem form vasesstonewareincised initials23cm and 21cm high (2). { 18 : start; Alan Wallwork Cylindrical Vase With Ribbed Decoration, Alan Wallwork Large Cylindrical Vase Perfect Condition, Alan Wallwork Early Sculptural Studio Pottery Hand Built Stoneware Cylin, Alan Wallwork LARGE Signed Stoneware Ammonite Vase, Alan Wallwork Hand Built Sculptural Form 1960s Studio Pottery Stoneware, Alan Wallwork Flattened Form Stoneware Studio Pottery Vase, Signed To Ba, Old Japan Porcelaine, Bronzes, Cabinets, And Various Articles Of Curiosi, Collector's Encyclopedia Of Roseville Pottery Volume 1 Revised Edition V. Sandeman Ernest Albert Sandeman 1921 3rd Ed. (d) A small stoneware pebble with a small aperture and ridged exterior. Work produced here sold successfully and Alans designs were accepted by the Design Centre and his work found outlets through Heals department store and the Craft Potters Association, of which he was elected a council member. ARRThis lot qualifies for Artist Resale Rights. It was soon clear that they had outgrown the Forest Hill premises, which were designated as retail, and they moved to much larger premises in Greenwich which were shared with other artists including Robert and Sheila Fournier. He was a prolific and hardworking artist, an enabler who contributed much to ceramics sense of community and professionalism, but he also lived life to his own rules, away from the mainstream. No obvious damage or restoration. renderedElement.style.top = (y + 15) + "px"; element = document.createElement("div"); Alan told me that he had assistants making some of the basic shapes, which he would do too, depending on how big the order was. Alan Wallwork was born in Watford, Hertfordshire in 1931. destroyPagination(); A alan wallwork often made from ceramic, stoneware and pottery can elevate any home. there does seem to be a lot of them around . Alan was making domestic wares and hand-built pieces. excessHeight = 20; y - overFlowY : y; Somewhere in this thread there is mention of Alan letting him take a kiln or something with him, which he was supposed to pay for later but never did! ALAN WALLWORK (1931-2019): a split seed form sculptural vase, with pierced decoration, incised initials to base, 14cm high Condition Report : good condtion, no issues Condition reports are offered as a guide only and we highly recommend inspecting (where possible) any lot to satisfy yourself as to its condition. I've found a photo of the base of a Wallwork vase on the net which does have a W like on mine and also a hand incised (not stamped) S - but I can't find any explanation of what the S might stand for. He sold a lot of his work through the Devon Guild in Bovey Tracey, which is not very far from you. Mea Culpa! Alan Wallwork (1931-2019)Slab vesselincised initial26cm high. 18 : start; Alan Wallwork, own studio, UK, Unique monumental sculpture C5200, Unique large stoneware sculptural form by Alan Wallwork N9348, Alan Wallwork, own studio, UK, unique stoneware sculptural form H1192, Alan Wallwork, UK unique stoneware pod-form vessel H1063, Unique "Bow" form sculpture Alan Wallwork C5004, Alan Wallwork stoneware cylindrical vase D6313. N Nest & Tessellate Pottery Form Handmade Ceramics Vase Handmade Vase Cement Pots Unique Vases Obvara Jar With riftwoodD - Vases & Vessels high, Alan Wallwork (1931-2019) Split Form a stoneware vase, glazed in silver-grey with light purple patches, incised AW 21cm. Round blank is Johnson's, square blanks, here is the piece from willinghams at the weekend. ALAN WALLWORK: a teak trivet stand inset with two tiles of typical design, the tiles 15cm square the stand 46cm wide overall Condition Report : one tile cracked Condition reports are offered as a guide only and we highly recommend inspecting (where possible) any lot to satisfy yourself as to its condition. This is an earthenware vase made by the Studio 266148977356 if( typeof(console) == "undefined" ) { high, Alan WallworkSplit vessel, circa 1975Stoneware, mottled pale blue and reddish-brown glazes. Please note revised estimate:350-400. { Incised mark to the base, 'AW'. 25 years or so ago. display = false; Feb 14, 2023 - Showing the range and brilliance of Alan Wallworks ceramic creations. Their mark up was also less than most retail outlets, so it was a no brainer for him to sell at Bovey rather than London. excessHeight = 20; here is a clearer picture of the base clearly showing the W, quite an unusual example Lee, the base looks right to me. originalFirstChild = document.body.firstChild; } } var agt = navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase(); Images 63-70 in the book are of Alan Wallwork's work, which presumably is mostly from Greenwich. setTimeout('renderedElement.style.visibility = "visible"', 1); Vintage alan wallwork Decorative tile in ceramic pottery - an originalreproduction of the type vintage original - a pattern equivalent to geometric - a decade of the type 1960s - It is an antique - especially: decorative, tiles WITNEY eBay Price: 114 Product condition: Used See details 1960 mid century 60s mid century. Are they AW? [CDATA[ } In particular there are two group photos where the big pieces are over 36 inches high. Alan Wallwork was born in Watford, Hertfordshire in 1931. I would not say that the W marked vases would be a good investment. Still a valid piece by the maker but just sold as a second and faulty piece. He was initially interested in film design, but after national service he opted to study art, and in 1954 he went to Newland Park teacher training college at Chalfont St Peter in Buckinghamshire. I am trying to determine if this is an Alan Wallwork, I think I can see a faint W, Yes. Yes that is a standard sign in pottery. He no longer makes large forms, settling for small and medium pieces. Here, in addition to his work, he enjoyed the sun, copious wine consumption and sending entertainingly discursive letters and emails to family and friends. Page 15 of 18 1 9 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, bybenwilliams October 10th 2021, 4:26 pm, by22 Crawford St. October 10th 2021, 5:07 pm, bybenwilliams October 11th 2021, 6:58 am, by22 Crawford St. October 11th 2021, 12:51 pm, by22 Crawford St. November 12th 2021, 9:54 pm, bystudio-pots December 7th 2021, 5:28 pm, bystudio-pots December 7th 2021, 5:51 pm, bystudio-pots December 7th 2021, 5:59 pm, bystudio-pots December 8th 2021, 4:09 pm, bycycladelic December 8th 2021, 11:53 pm. } renderedElement.style.left = (x + 15) + "px"; high, Alan Wallwork (1931-2019) a stoneware ovoid vase, flattened form with irregular pierced aperture, covered in a banded white and grey glaze incised AW mark 14cm. Alan occupied these premises for many years concentrating on tiles, hand-built, slabbed, coiled and altered pots and sculptural pieces in reduced stoneware. var display = false; else I have heard the article in your link from the man himself and knew that he had written it down but had no idea that it had been published so thanks for that. So have you had anything broken/smashed/stolen? Round Wallwork vase (mark) This item is not for sale, but you will find many that are in our . Alan Wallwork pebble form, Greenwich studio. function destroyPagination() If bidding from Overseas it is your own responsibility to check your countries import laws, If this item contains incorrect or inappropriate information please, Relevant renderedElement = document.body.insertBefore(element, document.body.firstChild); } (event.clientY + de.scrollTop) : y; Catalogue Of A Small Collection Of Antique Chinese Porcelains Of The K'A, Collection Of Staffordshire Figures And Animal Groups, Trinket Boxes, To, Chinese & Japanese Porcelains, Jades, Lacquer, Swords & Other Weapons &, 2023 - WorthPoint Corporation | 5 Concourse Parkway NE, Suite 2900. Hi studio, interesting your comments on the use of araldite in studio pottery ,i realise that you already know , but other members might not be aware of the epoxy resin use in studio pottery , the most famous potter being Hans Coper who used araldite and steel rods to glue many pieces together also Martin smith who used it freely and i guess a number of other potters as well. Alan Wallwork - A post war studio pottery wedge form with elliptical details picked out in tonal glazes, incised mark and retains original Alan Wallwork Ceramics label, length 15cm, height 10.5cm. } } Alan Wallwork - Stoneware split form oval vessel 4 (Sold) Alan Wallwork Alan Wallwork was born in Watford, Hertfordshire in 1931. In 1958 he opened his first studio and gallery in Forest Hill, South London. alan wallwork pottery mark. { This sculptural landscape vessel has been handmade by coiling, slabbing and shaping the clay. 20th Century Forum::Pottery Identification / Research::Studio Pottery, //